PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Restricted WR Possibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamPats

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
As reported by Len Pasquereli:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2376688

• WR Nate Burleson, Minnesota (compensation: third round): Has started 33 games in three seasons and posted 68 catches for 1,006 yards and nine touchdowns in 2004. Injuries limited his playing time and his production in 2005, but it's still hard to believe the Vikings, with all the cap room they possessed, didn't make him a higher qualifying offer. Could be a terrific No. 2 receiver if he stays healthy. Visited with Seattle officials last week but did not sign an offer sheet.

• WR Shaun McDonald, St. Louis (compensation: fourth round): Has been overshadowed by Curtis, who was also chosen in the 2002 draft. Started just three games in three seasons, but has 93 catches for 1,079 yards, and is quick enough to add yards after the catch. Coming off a 2005 campaign in which he posted a career-best 46 receptions. Can also return punts.

Nate Burleson looked pretty good for the Vikings last year especially the through the circus show that went on off the field and within the QB position. While a 3rd round pick is hard to give up, we are running out of options here at WR.

I think a 3rd rounder deal for Burleson would be a nice grab. I personally think that Burleson is significantly better than Givens and to have him matching up against #2 CB's, him and Brady could have quite the season.

skri65 said:
I think a 3rd rounder deal for Burleson would be a nice grab. I personally think that Burleson is significantly better than Givens and to have him matching up against #2 CB's, him and Brady could have quite the season.

And using the Vikings' newly validated contract technique, all you have to do for an RFA contract is insert a clause like "the balance of this contract will be fully guaranteed if the player is required to wear a purple helmet during 2006."

Seriously, watch for wild abuses of this new loophole. There is no such thing as a matching offer if it continues to hold up.

I wish Clayton would update the cap numbers for all teams. That huge contract the Vikings just signed Hutchinson to has to bite into their number, although they had gobs of space before. It would be nice to know where each team stands.

Burleson was injured for a significant portion of last season. Certainly he has talent, but at the moment that's largely potential talent that the analysts have forecast and we're waiting to see. Seahawks sound like they're interested, and given current form they'd probably put up a better offer than we would.

PhilD said:
Burleson . . . has talent, but at the moment that's largely potential talent that the analysts have forecast and we're waiting to see.
68-1006-14.8 with 9 TD in 2004 is a little more than potential in my mind.

patchick said:
And using the Vikings' newly validated contract technique, all you have to do for an RFA contract is insert a clause like "the balance of this contract will be fully guaranteed if the player is required to wear a purple helmet during 2006."

Seriously, watch for wild abuses of this new loophole. There is no such thing as a matching offer if it continues to hold up.
It was not challenged...and that was what occured. The Seahawks mentioned at first that they were..but changed it...why?? Not sure..but instaed went another route AND a wrong route...They should have challeneged that practice which IS wrong!! I think eattle will go after Burleson..hard and strong in response!!
So the Pats are out of that one. Not sure about McDonald...

BelichickFan said:
68-1006-14.8 with 9 TD in 2004 is a little more than potential in my mind.

No doubt. Don't forget who he had drawing double coverage on the other side of the field for 13 games though. The pressure on young players is to replicate their success once they've been identified as a genuine gamebreaker.

PhilD said:
No doubt. Don't forget who he had drawing double coverage on the other side of the field for 13 games though. The pressure on young players is to replicate their success once they've been identified as a genuine gamebreaker.
I don't think anyone's projecting Burleson to be a #1 guy like he was asked to be (by fans, anyway) last year. Put him at #2 with Branch and mix in both our TE or Watson and Caldwell, along with our spread offense and that QB we have and Burleson would be very, very good.

Agreed :) (I still bet Seahawks grab him!)

PhilD said:
Agreed :) (I still bet Seahawks grab him!)
I do think Seattle is more likely (although I want Clayton to update the cap numbers after that Julian Peterson signing). However Belichick will open the purse strings to get the right guy. Although Colvin came at a little discount, if you check out his cap numbers, we certainly paid a good price for him. I don't know how good a blocker Burleson is but he seems like the kind of WR Belichick likes and has some definite run after catch ability which Belichick likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes