PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Restricted Free Agent Tenders

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I don't want to spend 1.9million for Hoyer in 2012....

It doesn't matter what you want. Bill will tender him both for his potential roster value as a backup the team has confidence in and as a potential trading chip in the event they become comfortable with Mallett or locate another developmental candidate in the draft. They aren't going to know a heck of a lot more about Mallett than they knew heading into this season until they get to camp and into the pre season. Mallett was a practice player of the week once all season, the first week we faced Sanchez... Hoyer in addition to his backup duties was a practice squad player of the week on multiple occasions and they had him warming when Brady got sacked in the Super Bowl. Even with Tom nursing a shoulder injury for most of the second half of the season Mallett wasn't active once.

It's a given they will tender Hoyer, just a matter of which tender and the low tender makes no sense because even as a flyer on a potential backup there would be multiple teams interested in him for no compensation.

They aren't going to know a heck of a lot more about Mallett than they knew heading into this season until they get to camp and into the pre season.

Only in the sense of how he plays against a "live" defense.

The Pats, though, know orders of magnitude more about him than any of us posters here do.

Thats not very much money for a back up QB.

Except, of course, that it'd be about as much as the Pats have spent on backup QBs in 2009, 2010, and 2011 combined. :)

Last edited:
$1.9m for Hoyer is not bad at all. What's that .8% of the projected 2012 cap?

Thats not very much money for a back up QB.

You are right about that. The NY Jets are going to pay Mark Sanchez $14.253 million in 2012, which is very much money for a bakup QB.

I like what I see out of Hoyer...While I think Mallett has more of a chance to be Brady's successor, he has proved a worthy backup to Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back