PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Resting Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that statistically speaking teams coming off a bye perform better. But from seeing certain games across a variety of sports, there seems to be a point where teams / players can get too much rest. I will never be able to prove that. Here is an article by Brian Billick discussing, and perhaps better stating how I feel: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...-balancing-act-wednesdays-with-billick-121212

I guess I am a "Hot Hand" type of guy :)

Football players play football. If they get hurt they get hurt, please stop this. A player can get hurt in practice, in the weight room, in the shower.

No way can you play football scared.

The team needs the work, certainly the entire offense needs to get back to where they were about a month ago.

Maybe not all four quarters, but certainly at least three of them and I am talking the entire team. The only players I would hold back are those that are already injured that might make their issue worse (arringtons hammy for example).

I just don't like the idea of resting them Sunday, then the bye which would mean three weeks of nothing.

As it is were getting off to slow starts, let's not add in a huge rust factor going into a divisional playoff game.

I DO like the idea of two weeks off though - that can be used to simulate what is hopefully coming up, right after we win the AFC Championship game!!

Look we're all scared of injury to key players --'suck it up, do your praying and let's get after it no holds barred,

If "football players play football" and "you can't play football scared", why wouldn't you play these guys all four quarters instead of three and then sitting them? There seems to be a contradiction here.

My starting lineup:

QB – Garopollo
RB – Gray
3DRB – White
WR – Tyms
WR – Amendola
TE – Hoomanawanui
LT – Solder
LG – Kline
OC – Wendell
RG – Devey
RT – Cannon

LOLB – Fleming
LDE – Chris Jones
NT – Siliga
RDE – Moore
ROLB – Ayers
SILB – Casillas
WILB – White
CB – Dennard
CB – Butler
Slot CB - Ryan
FS – Wilson
SS – Harmon

And they all play 100% of the snaps…:D

My starting lineup:

QB – Garopollo
RB – Gray
3DRB – White
WR – Tyms
WR – Amendola
TE – Hoomanawanui
LT – Solder
LG – Kline
OC – Wendell
RG – Devey
RT – Cannon

LOLB – Fleming
LDE – Chris Jones
NT – Siliga
RDE – Moore
ROLB – Ayers
SILB – Casillas
WILB – White
CB – Dennard
CB – Butler
Slot CB - Ryan
FS – Wilson
SS – Harmon

I would feel bad for Garopollo in your scenario because that would probably be the worst offensive line in the history of the NFL. lol....... and Buffalo has a really good defenive line too!!!

In principle, I have no problems with this lineup. I have 2 comments.

1) Even if we play backups, there will be substitutions.

2) The OL needs to protect Garappolo. Fleming should start at RG. He actually does need to have more reps at that position. Besides, getting Garappolo injured won't help anything. As was the case in the last half against the jets, Wendell would move to LG. It would also be good to see him have a few more reps at LG. Stork is still learning and should start at center.

My starting lineup:

QB – Garopollo
RB – Gray
3DRB – White
WR – Tyms
WR – Amendola
TE – Hoomanawanui
LT – Solder
LG – Kline
OC – Wendell
RG – Devey
RT – Cannon

LOLB – Fleming
LDE – Chris Jones
NT – Siliga
RDE – Moore
ROLB – Ayers
SILB – Casillas
WILB – White
CB – Dennard
CB – Butler
Slot CB - Ryan
FS – Wilson
SS – Harmon

In principle, I have no problems with this lineup. I have 2 comments.

1) Even if we play backups, there will be substitutions.

2) The OL needs to protect Garappolo. Fleming should start at RG. He actually does need to have more reps at that position. Besides, getting Garappolo injured won't help anything. As was the case in the last half against the jets, Wendell would move to LG. It would also be good to see him have a few more reps at LG. Stork is still learning and should start at center.
I forgot about Fleming. Good call. I agree on everything you said, my lineup was partially sarcastic.

I would feel bad for Garopollo in your scenario because that would probably be the worst offensive line in the history of the NFL. lol....... and Buffalo has a really good defenive line too!!!
He is young and can run (really fast I hope). [emoji33]

I forgot about Fleming. Good call. I agree on everything you said, my lineup was partially sarcastic.
I understood the sarcasm. However, I really do think that this should be treated like a 4th preseason game.

I would expect the starters to play a half at least and would not be surprised if they play the entire game if they don't play well. I hate the idea of going into a bye week without being sharpe which the offense has not been for several games. It's a big boys game and IMHO not being sharp is as bad as risking players to injury.

And I'll probably get flamed for this; people pay to see this team play, the pay a lot, some folks this is all they choose to afford so they can see their team. I pay for Sunday ticket, I feel we are all owed the opportunity to watch what we paid for. In the end this is entertainment, at least for me.

I think the standard starters will start the game and those players that have earned opportunities in practice and prior games will see the field more and we will end up seeing a mix of players and not so much of a first team and second team look.

Its a good opportunity to play the "what if so and so got injured" and a backup had to come on the field immediately to play. You never know when an injury is going to occur so why not put the team and players in the position to experience the random injury scenario.

Plus its not a like a preseason game when you can dress so many more players. You can still only have 46 active players and not every starter will have a designated backup so some starters will be playing a good share of the game.

My starting lineup:

QB – Garopollo
RB – Gray
3DRB – White
WR – Tyms
WR – Amendola
TE – Hoomanawanui
LT – Solder
LG – Kline
OC – Wendell
RG – Devey
RT – Cannon

Let me be the 1st to out Tom Brady for using his $ to steal B6's account so that he can get Aladdin killed.

Clearly a case of "In BB I trust."

FWIW, my two cents is that they should rest the guys who have injuries but who would ordinarily play through those injuries if something were still on the line (Blount? Jules? Others?).

Otherwise, they should play the starters for at least the first half, both because a week off is plenty of time for the healthy regulars to rest up but mainly because I think they need to get the bad taste of the Jets game out of their mouths, where they made Geno Smith look like an NFL QB, couldn't generate a pash rush, couldn't run the ball and couldn't protect Brady. Injury risk? Sure, we all remember Welker, but any of these guys could get hurt on the practice field as well.

This guy BB just held a full pads practice on Christmas Eve and you think he's gonna sit out starters Sunday wholesale?

Yeah, I'd like key guys sitting the bench like everyone else. When has that EVER factored into BB's thinking?

I'll believe it when I see it.

Like Bob said, the offense NEEDS to get at least a half of good work, probably a bit more. This is NOT the time to take your foot off the throttle. Perhaps you might throw it into a lower gear, but now is not the time to stop working. Snap counts may go down, but they don't stop coming.

I've never believed in taking time off at the end, especially when they have another week of rest anyway. I also think that the offense and defense are works in progress and won't benefit from too much time off. I'll be squirming every time Brady goes back to pass or Gronk is thrown to though.

Let me be the 1st to out Tom Brady for using his $ to steal B6's account so that he can get Aladdin killed.
:)

Obviously, a reasonable OL has to play.

I suggest the line that played the second half against the jets, except for playing Cannon instead of Vollmer.

SOLDER, WENDELL, STORK, FLEMING, CANNON

This is a young line and should do fine.

I don't see the downside of resting Connolly and Vollmer.

:)

Obviously, a reasonable OL has to play.

I suggest the line that played the second half against the jets, except for playing Cannon instead of Vollmer.

SOLDER, WENDELL, STORK, FLEMING, CANNON

This is a young line and should do fine.

I don't see the downside of resting Connolly and Vollmer.

Zero disagreement with this post on my part...BUT...I'm getting punchy watching the "genius" come up with HIS plug and play O line decisions. If it's not McD making them then it has to be DeGug but, if they sit Connolly like you say , then they damn well BETTER play Wendy at LG and Fleming at RG. I do NOT want to see Kline playing the line tomorrow with Brady behind center, nor do I want to see Solder playing the third TE. Get in, get out of this game as efficiently as possible.

Of course, why do I get the sinking feeling that the stubborn streak of "developing versatility" will continue in game 16?

The 15-1 packers rested their players in week 17 of the 2011 regular season and it turned out to be mike mccarthy's dumbest decision as a coach. They of course looked rusty against the giants a few weeks later in the playoffs

I think they need to get the bad taste of the Jets game out of their mouths, where they made Geno Smith look like an NFL QB, couldn't generate a pash rush, couldn't run the ball and couldn't protect Brady.

I bet Bill was fine with how the defense played, the lack of pass rush was largely intentional and they appear fine with letting Geno look reasonably competent. Rex also pulls about 7 rabbits out of his hat for Patriots games which plays against NE's approach. Even a terrible team is going to have success against the Patriots if they are willing to run plays they haven't all years.

I think you are correct about the offense, though. I think that is the biggest reason why most key offensive players start.

The 15-1 packers rested their players in week 17 of the 2011 regular season and it turned out to be mike mccarthy's dumbest decision as a coach. They of course looked rusty against the giants a few weeks later in the playoffs

That loss had virtually nothing to do with resting the starters. The team was dealing with the death of Joe Philbin's son and it was clear as day they were either going to struggle or be on a mission, with no in between.

Seriously, other than unconvincing anecdotes, can anyone provide a compelling argument that resting players lessens your likelihood of winning your first playoff game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back