Welcome to PatsFans.com

Response from Marine - Embassy Guards Were, Indeed, Armed

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

I'm starting a new thread for a few reasons....

1) There are multiple threads containing false rumors and I don't want to miss answering any of them.

2) I think it's important that no one miss vital facts re: riots in the Mid East and I am afraid the official statement from the US Marine Corp will get lost in the threads which are rumor shuffling.

If a moderator disagrees with me this thread can be moved, but I will ask that it be posted on all of the Mid East threads already posted.

The Marine Corp has addressed the hysteria of the right wing blogspot concerning the arming of it's Embassy guards in Egypt.

As to Libya:

Now I don't know the details of if the Libyan ambassador had such a security detail from the state department...perhaps The State Dept. contracts out security and that's what the two ex-seals who were killed were part of. I'm sure we'll find out eventually. They were employeed by a private security firm and they were guarding the embassy/ambassador so it stands to reason they were contracted to do so by the government, I think...unless the ambassador hired them himself which seems unlikely.

Should security work be farmed out? Probably not - but more and more military work IS being farmed out, isn't it? It's been so since BlackWater days, hasn't it?

So...a few new questions but at least one right-wing rumor laid to rest.

2. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +675 / 6 / -9

Much to Real World's chagrin, I guess.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

No Ammunition"
    Who cares, that embassy is America, when they attacked that embassy they attacked America, they murdered Americans, they murdered an American Ambassador, now our own President and that Baggy Eyed Old Drunk Hillary wants America to turn the other cheek and keep kissing the Muslim Ass, this whole situation is disgusting and I hope it will be the cause for "The End Of The Obama Presidency"
    We Have A Pandering Coward For A President, thank god he wasn't in the white house on Dec 7, 1941.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Ah, so you did know what I was talking about "specifically" Jack. :rolleyes:

Maybe they were armed. Maybe they weren't. I'll take it at face value. It's not like they'd come out an officially state that they weren't armed. Does anyone honestly think they would? I don't. Still, if he says so, then I'll put stock in it. I'm not completely sold though. Point being, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they weren't armed. Afterall, the UN patrols the Golan Heights in Lebanon without ammo, so I wouldn't be stunned if some of our people in charge did so too.

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

So who are we supposed to go to war with today, Harry? Egypt? Libya? Pakistan? Turkey? Iran? Iraq? Yemen? All of the above?

Should we mobilize our entire military (what there is of it that's not already seriously overworked?) and attack all of them?

Do we wage war with every country which has anti-American protests in their own streets?

Is that what you want? For America to air strike entire populations because a few hundred or even a few thousand of their citizens are acting out? Do you consider it the fault of the entire country for what a few of their people are doing? Isn't that a bit like the Muslims thinking that all of America is responsible for one man's movie?

What, exactly, is it that you would have Obama do, Harry? What do you think any other president would do differently?

I'll tell you what, when someone's military deliberately bombs one of our harbors and destroys 9 ships, damages 21 ships and the overall death toll reaches 2,402 - then I'll agree that Obama ought to declare war on them - and I'll pretty sure he would.

If you can't see the difference between a bunch of crazy civilians and a few die hard terrorists climbing embassy fences and throwing stones and a military deliberately bombing another country's military base there's probably nothing I or anyone else can say to you.

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

Wonder the right is, they were duped again.. but wait, there will be a new rumor today..

Coincidentally two of security forces killed in Benghazi were ex seals.. RIP and condolences to their families.

7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Insufficiently armed apparently. I hope those in charge are reevaluating it. It seems the embassy was duped into thinking they were protected. We are in a post 9-11 world now. Sleeping at the switch and being unprepared is so much more inexcusable now.

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Why? What happened in Egypt that was not handled without loss of life or limb?

9. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +675 / 6 / -9

I was actually giving you the benefit of the doubt since, you know, you made the post after Mrs. posted this link in the other thread. So I assumed you had some information about this policy being enforced at another embassy, hence justifying your outrage.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  10. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

You're right about Egypt. But security concerns-wise(i know it's not a real word), it is a difference without distinction. I'm clouding in the deaths in Lybia to make a point about security in general at our embassies. The President is also concerned.

11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

You do not really know this, but the British publications seem to...

12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

13. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,073 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Why aren't we on high alert around 9/11 ...
    shouldn't we always be on high alert around 9/11? That's like a holiday to radical Islamists isn't it?

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Sure you were. :rolleyes:

That would require some basic common sense, and a minimum level of competence Icy. Two things "governments" usually tend to be low on.

15. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +675 / 6 / -9

Okay, you're right. I thought you were knowingly disregarding contravening information in order to better make your typical "government can do no right" screed.

Better?

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

I have no idea what that means. If it makes you feel better though, then sure no problem. Better it is.