Welcome to PatsFans.com

Resolved: The Right Long Ago Profaned the Memory of 9/11

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Sep 12, 2011.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +439 / 6 / -9

Recently I responded to a very well-written and heartfelt 9/11 thread from the heart - and of course, our local rightists jumped all over me. I don't have that original response, but in the course of apologizing to the OP of that thread, who spent the weekend away in Pennsylvania, I wrote the following. It is the truth of what all this weekend's solemnity carries with it now, for me. The can no longer be disentangled. This is the truth of history; that something can be enormously tragic on the face of it, that many of the people involved can be heroic, that the moment itself can be "pure" -- and then it can be used and profaned repeatedly, the memory cheapened and politicized. All our individual best actions and most solemn and somber memories can certainly not be invalidated; but as Americans and as thinking men we cannot rationally defend the craven use of 9/11 for lies, hypocrisy, and propaganda. We need to lay off, defund, or "privatize" first responders, for example? Wouldn't we call that "9/10 thinking" using the parlance of 2001-2008 or so? In any event, the response I wrote follows. Both my initial response and this explanation were removed from the thread in question.

The comment that initially preceded this was "Man, I wish you'd have left it at that for just this one thread" (quoting "the good part" of a first, also removed, response.)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    And I wish it were appropriate to do so. I wish the tragedy of that day were not grotesquely appropriated to strike down our economy and world standing for a decade. Not by good men and women who went past what they had to do. Not by those who faced their fate with fierce resistance on the plane bound for Washington. I walked very close to the Capitol that day while on the way to "anywhere but here"; their actions may have saved my life. Not by PFinPhilly who did the hard hurtful and proud work that he did for his country.

However the reality of that day is that it has been expropriated to do this nation harm - by the Islamaphobes, by the war-loving right, by the same hypocrites who now declare themselves instant pacifists. By the idiots who squandered the wealth of a nation frightening the nation, fighting everybody but those who attacked us, making up alternative enemies - librarians, religions, tinpot tyrants with no link to the murders.

And who finds it "unbelievable" that I remember not just that day, but the accumulated profanities against those who died that day?

The champion of firing all those who serve the public - the first responders, perhaps the forensic examiners? Who finds it unbelievable that I remember these years between? The guy who cheers men who would dissolve the United States, those who would weaken and paralyze this nation's government. And the spending that is used as the excuse for this latest profanity was undertaken in response to the events of this day, capitalizing on our responses to the memories of this day.

I had been a Fed all of two months on 9/11. I stayed extra hours for years, assuring that my unimportant shop did every damned possible thing to fulfil its unimportant mission with excellence and with efficiency. I told myself it was the little thing *I* could do -- and I have continued to take that attitude without exception to my work in the federal service.

I do apologize to PFinP for boiling over here. My first response was to say this and this only. But when I see the crocodile tears of others here who are dabbing their tears with one hand and stabbing their country in the back with the other, how does one continue to disentangle the two?

I'm out. Philly you sure don't deserve this response to your heartfelt and excellent remembrances and observations. I simply have remembrances and observations as well, of that day and all that came since. Heroes died that day not to silence other Americans but to save what we do have -- The right to such tasteless but accurate words as my own included.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no desire to rehash the asinine practice of silencing voices here outside the accepted right-to-far-right spectrum. I do have two desires: to air my apology to Philly, and just as much, to air my own perception of how 9/11 has been used, profaned, and tarnished by the previous regime and its "former" supporters -- and how those "former" supporters simultaneously attempt to tear down the very nation for which they claim to swell with patriotic pride.

The truth is what it is.

PFnV
  2. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

No apology necessary.
    We are all adults and have disagreements, isn't that what the Internet is for?
    If my posting came off as jingoist, it was not intended to be.I only meant it to be a reflection on the events and not to create a sh*tstorm. It is a hot button that we all tread a fine line when discussing. I spent the weekend in Shanksville at a very non-political memorial. It was tastefully done with clergy giving invocations that were ecumenical in nature. One was a relative of a passenger on the flight and they talked of their heroism, not the politics. I watched two Presidents of different parties give speeches that complemented each other, both literally and figuratively as President Bush spoke of the events of the day and President Clinton spoke of historical comparisons...
    Things that you likely didn't see on TV. The local coroner Wally Miller was given a standing ovation by the families for his work with them to "do the right thing" for the last ten years and those families bonded together. There is a team of family members (24 of them IIRC) running this year's NYC marathon with the theme, "they didn't quit and neither will we"
    More later......
    My Blackberry malfunctioned out there so I couldn't get Internet service for 3 days......I'm not sure if that was fortuitous or not???
  3. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Resolved: PFinVA read Krugmans disgusting blog then decided to augment the liberal groupthink with his own garbage.
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +519 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Resolved: Khayos should check his dates before spouting off. Krugman's column came out on Sept. 11, 2011. PFinVA originally posted this the same day that PatsFaninPhilly posted his Shanksville thread...which, I believe, was at least 24 - 48 hours earlier.

Maybe Krugman read PFinVa.

Maybe everyone is entitled to an opinion regardless of who agrees or disagrees with it.

Maybe that's why this is America.
  5. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Maybe I'm shocked you're rushing to the defense... SHOCKED.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +554 / 2 / -9

Thats what I said, this Krugman scumbag is lucky he lives and works in America, if he were in Cuba he would just vanish, in the middle east they would be using his head for a soccer ball.

It's people like Puke Krugman and Blinky Pelosi that gave birth to The Tea Party.

I was a Democrat for many years then when the Far Left Wing took them over I RAN AWAY.
  7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Its cute to see you use expressions like 'groupthink'.

kinda like the way a six year old girl dumps makeup on her face (without the slightest clue as to why or how this is done) just because she's seen someone else (mom) do it.
  8. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -2

Shocked that you failed to respond to the facts she put forth and admit that you were mistaken... SHOCKED

Now you can go away until your next mistake-laden post, which you also won't own up to.
  9. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -2

Yeah, it is what you said -- because you're right in line with the kind of people in Cuba or the Middle East who you describe.

Of course you were a Dem for many years -- I'd imagine the "Far Left Wing" took over, when -- during the Civili Rights Movement? Yeah, that's about the time you'd probably flee.

And now you're a hardcore pubbie, and you don't even see the irony of falling in with that group.
  10. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

I listened to a NY city firefighter who miraculously survived the collapse of both towers...(yes, he was inside both when they collapsed and survived!) who spoke about the work his foundation has been doing for the firefighters' surviving families and he said it is important...imperative that Americans always remember that it was "Islamic extremists who committed this act"

Those were his exact words and I could not agree more whole-heartedly.
  12. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -2

Of course it's important to remember who committed the act -- but so what? We remember that Japan bombed Pearl Harbor and that Germany's extremist government rolled over Europe and killed millions of citizens in concentration camps. I know I'll always remember that it was Catholic priests who molested thousands of boys -- I think it's just as important that we always remember who did that, too.

If you're implying a broader point, otoh, you should state it.
  13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Liberals always defend people who bash America. It's like a stimulus response for them.
  14. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -2

Yeah, and conservatives think that anybody who disagrees with them is bashing America if they criticize the government.
  15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

In time, we have learned that Japan and Germany are no longer our enemies. Mainly because we helped destroy what they represented. As of today, Islamic extremists are America's #1 enemy...in time and one way or another, I hope that will no longer be true.
  16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +439 / 6 / -9

Still haven't had time to read Krugman's piece, sounds interesting.

I take it that Special Khay here thinks the problem is not his own false accusation, but that it's spoiled by the presence of multiple posters who know he made it - of course his buddy 13 knew that chronology as well, but well, it's really not worth it from his perspective, is it?

You clowns keep telling me all about how I'm "bashing America" while you cheer people who would dissolve the Union.

Or, reply to the merits of the post if you so desire.
  17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +554 / 2 / -9

Interesting story, what would you and Hedge have done had you been running things.

:confused:
  18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +554 / 2 / -9

You have to remember how the Liberal Brain works one of the country's most whacked out liberals (Mike squinty Dukakis) was asked what his reaction would be if his home was invaded by a street savage in the middle of the night and the savage was in the act of raping his wife, Dip Sh!t Mike said "I would climb out a kitchen window and look for the police....:singing:

Imagine what Kitty (mikes betrothed) would have looked like by the time Sappy Dukakis found a Cop.

3000 innocent people slaughtered by mad islamic dogs that walk on two legs on the morning of 9/11 and the crazy Blame America Liberals wanted the country to "turn the other cheek" some of the more Insane Liberal Fools wanted America to apologize for irritating the f-cking animals.

I have to stop, I'll get banned.
  19. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Timing is irregardless to the point, which is that PFinVA and Krugman both falsely claim that the right has somehow corrupted 9/11 for their own aggrandizement. Maybe argue that point then staring at the stopwatch.
  20. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -2

Who wanted either of those things?

Specifics, please, or stop lying.

You won't be banned. You're like the right's little lapdog here. Look how cute he is, yapping away! Doesn't matter how much bigotry or hatred you continue to post, you'll be just fine.