Miguel

Patriots Salary Cap Guru
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Why they wont:

Occasional drop when coming out of the back field
His blocking ability isn't top notch
In previous years we have seen backs like him get way more money then the pats were willing to spend on a receiving back
His between the tackles running leaves something to be desired

Why they will:
Hes a solid running back coming out of the back field
Familiar with the offense
Capable of getting down field and making a big catch against LB's
Hard to cover

There is absolutely no way the Pats will let him go. He has morphed into a very valuable 3rd down back and does what Faulk used to do, equally as well and even better in some ways.

They will let Ridley and a few others go before they let go of Vereen.

A description of the player's 2014 role would also be really helpful. Sorry for not mentioning that sooner.

I don't want him back, but I think the pats do. to me, he's not as versatile as everyone says. he basically just runs wheel routes. that's kinda it. he also sometimes drops them. plus, when he's in the game, the defense can be sure we're passing

To me he is nothing special. If the price is reasonable you bring him back as he knows the offense. But he is no Darren Sproles and while not this yr. injuries tend to be an issue with him.

So if some team overpays then let him walk if not bring him back.

What is a reasonable price for Vereen?

What is a reasonable price for Vereen?

What NE deems it to be. Their opinion of his "market value". I honestly don't know what that is. But if they say 3 yrs at $1.5m per and some team gives him more. Let him walk.

Why re-sign:

Makes some very nice catches
Competent at all parts of his job

Why not re-sign:

Seems to always have nicks that are excuses for the dropsies
Generally doesn't seem to fight that hard

As a third down back option, he is not easily replaced. His hands overall are as good as any RB in the league.

Darren Sproules AAV is 3.5M. Kevin Faulk signed a 6/15 contract back in the day. I think 4/13-ish would get it done. I want him back.

I deserve no credit, because I have no value... :) I don't know how Vereen's contract stacks up against others, but Vereen *has* value. His place on the team is cemented for someone else to prove they belong above him. Vereen is quick, shifty, has ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and from a WR position. That versatility is useful to keep Defenses on their toes. I don't have a specific opinion on his blitz pickup skills which means he's doing a Good Enough job for me to not notice. Blitz pickup is very... VERY important in our backs; I assume he will continue improving, and he ain't getting Brady killed.

His between-the-tackles running does not get anything except what the line gives him... so he's just serviceable there. However, he has a quickness, which if utilized correctly can get him through holes which otherwise would close quickly.

Vereen was a very valuable 3rd down back, and even as a change of pace back on 1st down. He is a decent receiver.

WHY TO SIGN HIM
We need to someone to fit his important 2014 role. White is supposed to be a candidate, but hasn't shown anything. If we don't sign Vereen, we would need to find his replacement in free agency or the draft. I would expect $3M a year might be reasonable.

There is no comparison to Ridley, who is really completing for a different position.

WHY NOT TO SIGN HIM
TO me, this section doesn't add anything. As with any player, we wouldn't sign him if the cost is more than the value as evaluated by the team. I think that this is same statement that I would make for all 15 players

I am in the camp of not signing him assuming he will be paid what i think he will (about 3M per year in real money and not one of those 1M, 2M 3M 5M contracts you renegotiate) .

Vereen is a good player and will be missed but he is what he is at this point and that is a good (not great) pass catching back who can block okay and run between the tackles below average.

I see him on occasion make an amazing down field catch but also drop easy screens and wheel routes too often for my likely. Personally I think Faulk was the overall better player cause even though Vereen can do some things Faulk can't but Faulk was much more slippery between the tackles and had better hands.

Though you will not find another Vereen anytime soon I think you will be able to find a solid 3rd down back who can at least pick up 3rd downs and that is all you really need.

However if he is willing to stay here for 2M or less a year in real money i'd take that deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back