Welcome to PatsFans.com

Republicans wanted

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

I was out with some friends last night talking about the state of Massachusetts, and we all agreed that we need more Republicans in the State legislature. The problem is that the lack of Republicans has taken away any system of checks and balances and has weakened the governor (all of them at least back to Dukakis) so much because he can't play sides. As a result we have an obstructionist and opportunist Legislature.

One of the reasons I like a strong federal government is because state's are so politically f-cked up, and they get away with it. I remember when I was in New York State, a young lobbyist for a statewide student group. A large proportion (maybe 50%) of the legislators I met were really ordinary guys -- guys who know less than any of us, but who had a lot of friends and connections and weren't particularly bright.

One guy, who later went onto become a Congressman, I visited with a bunch of college students even young than I was. He was drunk, and we were startled. When we told him we thought students should have the right to vote where the attend college, he said something like, "If you don't own property, you shouldn't be allowed to vote." When I told him that was unconstitutional, he said, "Then the Constitution be damned."

Without checks and balances, the fools take over the asylum. Making matters worse is the fact that Patrick seems too laid back. He's not taking the Legislature to task. He's sort of another Weld.

Though I don't want a Republican majority, I would welcome a 55-45% split that would make a handful of individual votes that much more powerful, and would create some true checks and balances.
  2. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

you can officially say that you have no life
  3. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He has a point :rolleyes:

The huge problem is guilt by association. They are using the republicans who are polarizing like Gingrich or Bush to demonize any potential republican challengers to the point that it's not worth it to run for them.

It doesn't help that their former strongholds are becoming more and more urbanized and that the legislature is smart enough to Gerrymander the districts so that any potential threats are pitted against longstanding members of the house and senate.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  4. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

it was like that long before gingrich or bush........

the republican party simply feels there is no return on investment to be had in MA, so they don't spend much money here

my point was that if patters is going out on a Sat nite and this is what he talks about after posting here all week, he really does have no life
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

I thought this would be a post advocating the need for more human test subjects for science. :p:p:p
  6. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They haven't controlled the House of Representatives in 54 years nor the Senate in 51 years- but that is beside the point :rolleyes:

My point is that ANYONE who is a Republican who runs against a Democrat will have those two and any other high profile Republican used against them by the Democrats. It's guilt by association, even if the candidate has nothing in common with them except their chosen party.

That also does not take into consideration the rock star Democrats who will come out in force to show how in tune the Democratic candidate is with the likes of Kennedy, Kerry, Clinton, Dukackis or whoever else they can dig up to show solidarity behind their party's candidate- the Republicans can't counter that here, they only have local support that won't get them very far.

Right there is no return for unseating at least one of the US Representatives nor from unseating Ted Kennedy nor John Kerry especially when they are at their most vulnerable. :rolleyes:

If they had actually gotten together behind Romney Kennedy would have been thrown out in '94, instead they didn't offer much help and he had to do it mostly on his own.

Same with Kerry after the '04 run- he was vulnerable here after ignoring the state for almost two years in favor of the Presidency and had they found a viable candidate they could have gotten enough support to actually challenge him setting the groundwork for the 2010 or 2012 post-Kennedy US Senate race.a

Nice way to get yourself banned for flaming a moderator :rolleyes:
  7. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Only if it was posted in Cambridge ;)
  8. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I would agree with you, I think this is certainly the best way for our government to work. I wouldn't have minded Obama being elected that much if there wasn't such an overwhelming D majority in the Congress. That to me is a problem, because the basic checks and balances are lessened.

You make an interesting point about why you like a strong federal gov't because it balances out the failures of the states... I'm not sure I agree with it, but it certainly is very thought provoking.
  9. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I've been saying this for a long time. And as I posted recently MA is text book example of a one party system and absolute power corrupts absolutely. 3 MA Speakers in a row indicted. And as I posted last fall:

Look how lucky we will be here in MA

[​IMG]
    Democrat

[​IMG]
    Democratic majority

[​IMG]
    Democrat

[​IMG]
    Democrat

[​IMG]
    Democrat

and for some locally
    [​IMG]
    Democrat

But, I'm sure they'll trim down government spending. And lower taxes. :rolleyes:
  10. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Republicans don't practice what they preach. What you want is a fiscal conservative, regardless of what party that person comes from.
  11. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And might be looking at a fourth getting run out of office in the future(unconfirmed as of now, but smoke is looming on horizon)

Add in that two of the previous three senate presidents have had associates who were dubious if not criminal in their actions...not counting Whitey Bulger(a whole other animal altogether...)
  12. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,750 / 30 / -48

No Jersey Selected

If you want Republicans, look no further than what is SURE to be the new Republican party ten years from now...

Platform | Libertarian Party
  13. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They are even worse off than republicans here.
  14. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,750 / 30 / -48

No Jersey Selected

They're growing, though. Especially within my generation.
  15. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I agree with you Patters that 1 party rule makes for bad times, and we've seen that work both ways, with Dems in MA, and with R's at the federal level. I have to say though looking at your history of commentary on Republicans that I am somewhat surprised you share that view!
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

I think a correction every now and then okay. After all, when there's a correction, it usually occurs in an idealistic way (even the Republican Revolution started that way, though I don't care for those ideals). But, once you have a group of like-minded people sitting together and making all the decisions for too long a period, their values and ethics seem to fester. I think already we see the first signs of that happening in the Democratic Congress where insurance lobbyists are making progress in their fight against a single payer health care option.
  17. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Wow, let's mark the date or something Patters, we actually totally agree on something political. I knew it had to happen sooner or later!
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

We're all cut from the same cloth that our founders managed to knit together 250 years ago, but still you better be careful. It's all part of a communist plot. ;)
  19. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Hmm, maybe you're right, maybe you and your pinko friends are just trying to draw me over to the dark side...:D
  20. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And as they get older they switch out to real parties :rolleyes:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.