Welcome to PatsFans.com

Republicans vs Democrats

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Aug 24, 2008.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

My Jersey:

I am going to post some thoughts that are just my opinion. They will represent what I see as major differences between democrats and republicans. What I'd like to see happen is a discussion of the points I am about to make. What I hope to avoid is members replying by making comments that are irrelevant to any of my points.

Here is my list:

Democrats don't trust our federal government system as much as Republicans do - Maybe it is just because there is a republican president in office, I'm not sure.

Republicans seem to have an innate trust in U.S. corporations - Republicans often defend them while democrats don't trust them at all. It appears to me that repub's see corporations almost as an arm of our government while democrats see any marriage between the 2 as conspiratorial.

Democrats are ok with social welfare programs for the poor - They see them as a safety net that provides for the bare minimum of living standards in the wealthiest nation on earth.

Republicans are ok with social welfare programs for the wealthy - as represented by federal bailouts of many U.S. corp.'s and financial institutions

Democrats are more willing to see the condition of our economy in a more realistic light - It appears, at least to me, that republicans are far less willing to admit the grave condition of our economy than democrats. The worse conditions get, the less commentary I see from our republican members.

If anyone would like to comment on any number of the above points, I think it would make for great discussion. Again, please do not post random & irrelevant comments that are just intended to attack one party or the other.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The only serious issue right now, as I see it, is how this country is polarized on r vs. l.. and how everything is political, the internet has fed this and there has pretty much been too much time on hysteria and hyperbole on both sides of the aisle. The whole MSM is a figment of the imagination, while in reality the media is controlled by the talking heads particularly on the right. Kudos to those who have achieved this dominance, and shame of those who could not make inroads.
  3. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

They both believe in arguing and blocking each parties attempts at getting things done.
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

My Jersey:

On your comments, I should have stated I was referring to citizens who are dem or repub...not politicians. So your comment;

Republicans are ok with social welfare programs for the wealthy - as represented by federal bailouts of many U.S. corp.'s and financial institutions

None of this can happen without the imprimatur of the Democrats

is directed more toward politicians than ordinary citizens. But...it still may apply to them as well. I find it unfortunate that so many citizens are ok with our federal government spending ZILLIONS in an attempt to try to fix our economy when capitalism will correct itself. We've been conditioned to believing that we never have to experience "hard-times". Well, we better accept that fact that we do...cause they're gonna be here for a while no matter what our government does.
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

My Jersey:

You're right on Biggles...pretty sad too. We all vote with the hope that things will get done for the greater good. After all, that is the job of our elected officials. But something changed over the last 40 years or so...and I think politicians now believe the United States is their country when in fact it is OURS....as in "We the People"
  6. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

My Jersey:

No they don't!

;)
  7. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

what has changed?

introduction of credit on a grand scale leading to massive materialism

family structure distrupted by materialism and parents working too much
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

My Jersey:

You must have stayed at a Holiday Inn last night...cuz you're on today bro!!;)

Have you read this link a couple of our members have posted? It explains what you're saying perfectly.

http://www.prudentbear.com/index.php...y?art_id=10098

Yes, we have become horribly materialistic. Just think about how many people today are proud to tell you they work 80 hours a week when that is in fact shameful. I was in the locker room of a gym a few years back and 2 guys were comparing how long it's been since they took a vacation. I think one guy said 10 years. I felt like giving them both a dope slap and asking them what life is all about.

My father used to take us up to New Hampshire for 2 weeks straight every year. They were some of the best times of my childhood. It's too bad the kids today only get to see daddy a few hours a month:rolleyes: And meantime, daddy is bragging about that to his buddies.

As Harry would say "God damn America!"
  9. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The republic was set up by our founding fathers to do just that. Read your history.
  10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

My Jersey:

Set up to get nothing done? Prolly not Mossed. At some point, the parties have to realize they represent the people and it's their job to do what is right for the greater good of the people.
  11. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

That'll be the day, amigo!
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ~~~Out of Order~~~ PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    Only if a viable 3rd party gains momentum. Unfortunately the 3rd party candidates Nader, Barr & McKinney are all a joke.
  13. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I know it was so one group didn't gain power and oversee everything. We all have seen what happens when one political group siezes power and eliminates another party as in Nazi Germany. that's not a good thing.

we almost see our parties flaws in blocking legislation and not getting things accomplished like a realistic energy policy.

I know the taxing philosophies will continue to sway throughout history. but sometimes the parties must remember the common man and who they serve. the people do not serve them
  14. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    You actually believe this? :rofl:

I'm not going to go through it point by point but, Democrats are apart of our federal government. So not sure what you are getting at there and believe me Democrats care about social programs as a way to create bigger government they could care less about poor people.
  15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

My Jersey:

ONe of the key differences I see between the 2 parties based upon our members posts is the inate trust republicans have for corporations. They don't ever seem to think they are married to government officials through systematic corruption and behind closed door meetings. While democrats have very little trust in corporate America. In your opinion, why is that Michael?

also, why do average income republicans always come to the defense of the wealthy? Like they are the most admirable citizens we have when in fact they are no more admirable than you & I?
  16. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    Oiy, stop believing what the Daily Show is feeding you. Both parties are in the pockets of big business.
  17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

My Jersey:

Mike, I may not have been clear in my thread opening, but this discussion is not about politicians. It is about citizens and more specifically, our own members. I realize and agree that neither party is exempt from corruption.

So, if you'd like to post your answers to my questions based upon this, I'd love to read them.

Here's the questions again;

1. ONe of the key differences I see between the 2 parties based upon our members posts is the inate trust republicans have for corporations. They don't ever seem to think they are married to government officials through systematic corruption and behind closed door meetings. While democrats have very little trust in corporate America. In your opinion, why is that Michael?

2. also, why do average income republicans always come to the defense of the wealthy? Like they are the most admirable citizens we have when in fact they are no more admirable than you & I?

BTW...I don't watch any "daily shows". All my posts here are based purely off my own opinion or observation I see on this board.

Nice, clear answers that reply directly to my questions with no tangent points would be perfect...but I don't expect perfection.;)
  18. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey

19. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

My Jersey:

1. ONe of the key differences I see between the 2 parties based upon our members posts is the inate trust republicans have for corporations. They don't ever seem to think they are married to government officials through systematic corruption and behind closed door meetings. While democrats have very little trust in corporate America.

2. also, why do average income republicans always come to the defense of the wealthy? Like they are the most admirable citizens we have when in fact they are no more admirable than you & I?

I don't agree with your answers at all...but that's ok. It is America after all.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  20. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey
    Watching the early convention news and perhaps this is the biggest difference between Democrats and Republicans.

Republicans look for a leader who is strong and fiscally conservative. Democrats fawn over the latest fad of a candidate who promises to change the country and the world. Is it wrong to call Democrats hopeless romantics?
  21. elway7

elway7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

You should be here and see this circus! All the local news is covering recreate 68 and the celebrities arriving!
  22. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey

Is there a red carpet?

Maybe all the loons from the left can imprint their hands in some cement.
  23. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    To quote Emily Latilla, "Oh that's different".

1. Hey, I don't understand why people are so religious about political parties. And why they always agree with their respective party point for point on ALL issues. So your guess is as good as mine on that question.

2. I went to Foxwoods in CT Saturday night and was stuck in a some traffic on route 2. I had a little laugh when I saw a small house that hadn't been painted in decades with a crap box in the dirt drive way and a Ron Paul sign on the front lawn while the new Audi in front of me had an Obama sticker on it. Do "average income" Republicans come to the defense of the wealthy? I guess they do. So do "average income" Democrats who defend Michae Moore, Bill Clinton and the host of limo-libs in Hollywood.
  24. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

My Jersey:

I'm not religious about political parties at all. No one should be defined by a political party.

Well, it appears you weren't stimulated enough to really answer my questions on point...even though you made some good points. You answered question #2 like PF13 often does. As an example, if I were to say "Why did president bush lie about WMD's?" he would reply with something like "I don't know, why did Clinton lie about Monica?" Which is just another way of avoiding a question without using any intellectual effort.

Why do average income Republicans come to the defense of the wealthy?

I don't know, why do democrats come to the defense of Michael Moore?

I know you know what I meant Mikey... shame on you!:rolleyes:
  25. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    Yes, Patsy... I answered it with an answer worthy of your question.
  26. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2

My Jersey:

This is a straw man, I and IMO most conservatives "trust" corporations. OTOH I don't believe they should be beaten up solely on the basis that they seek profit. I think Gov officials frequently use their power to tax and regulate as a form of extortion against corps. This isn't that dissimilar to small Italian grocers in Brooklyn paying protection money to the Mafia in the early 20th century.

Corps are in business to deliver profits to their shareholders and goods and services to their customers no more, no less.

Who says avg income conservatives (as opposed to pubbies) "always" come to the defense of the wealthy?

The wealthy and no better or no worse than anyone else. People should be judged on their actions not by the amount of money they have.

Couple of things I am far more comfortable with the commandment, Do not covet thy neighbor's goods, that from each according to his means to each according to his needs. My life isn't dominated by being jealous of those who have more than me. Sometimes the things they did to acquire their money are not things I would choose to do. I know of a businessman who is very wealthy, he spent 2-3 weeks away from his family every month, he never went to his kids ball games. I got to spend a lot of time with my kids, I wouldn't trade that for all his $$. I do aspire to be wealthy and I really hope my kids can become wealthy. IF they do I don't want the government taking what they have earned because of the greed and envy of liberals.

Envy is a bad basis for public policy.

Perhaps that is why conservatives give more of their own money and time to charities whereas libs want to government to do their charitable deeds by confiscating the money of others.
  27. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

My Jersey:

I don't think any of my questions are out of line. They're all fair, so if you personally find them unworthy, why waste your valuable time aswering them in an unworthy manner?
  28. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

My Jersey:

Good stuff PF13...thanks for taking the time to post your personal feelings/opinions. I agree especially with your comments on envy. I believe everyone should cheer their fellow men & women on if they find success. Another's success or lack of has nothing to do with me. I think I've received my share of successes and disappointments and I've learned equally from both. I think the things that humble us are the most valuable life lessons we can have.

I think the point we differ on is that middle class wage earners often feel the weight of the tax burden is placed more squarely upon their shoulder than those with more. I also think more middle class wage earners had to work their butts off more than many that are born into wealthy families. It may not be right, but it is very understandable.
  29. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2

My Jersey:

This is why I am a proponent of the Forbes flat tax as we discussed earlier. Transparent simple and IMO fair to all.

BTW 140+ corps had paid 50M to help put on the dem convention, I imaging the pubbies will get similar sums of cash from businesses that have to deal/do businesses with the gov.