Welcome to PatsFans.com

Republicans vote against Mother's Day

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, May 10, 2008.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

the funniest thing about this latest round of GOP stalling and time wasting on the Hill is that the clown who sponsored the bill wound up voting against it.

Republicans vote against Mother’s Day.

On Wednesday, the House took up the seemingly uncontroversial H. Res. 1113, “Celebrating the role of mothers in the United States and supporting the goals and ideals of Mother’s Day.” The resolution initially passed 412 to 0, until Rep. Todd Tiahrt (R-KS) rose in protest:

Mr. Speaker, I ask for a recorded vote because I’m sure every member wants their mother to know that they have supported the goals of Mother’s Day.

Tiahrt’s mother, however, may be disappointed to know that her son did not support Mother’s Day. He and 177 other Republicans decided to cast their vote against mothers. Watch it:

When asked why the GOP switched their votes, House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) said, “Oh, we just wanted to make sure that everyone was on record in support of Mother’s Day.” (Even though he also was actually on record against Mother’s Day.) The Washington Post’s Dana Milbank reports that this move was a procedural tactic to “bring the House to a standstill.”

Update: Yeas and Nays points out that amongst federal lawmakers, Charlton Heston is actually more popular than mothers. Rep. Jeff Fortenberry (R-NE), the original sponsor of the bill, also ended up voting against it.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

rotten motherless bastards.. I knew they would do this kind of stuff if given the opportunity.

3. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm sorry, which party holds the majority?

4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Here that whisssssshing sound? That's paul missing the point entirely.. .

5. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Let's see. You found it funny that the Republicans decided to waste a lot of time on a stupid vote to honor mothers near mother's day. You found it funny that the motion zoomed through until one Republican demanded a record vote. Then you found it funny that the original sponsor wound up voting against it, and you didn't find it nearly as funny that the whole thing was nothing but a big time waster, as stated by the Minority Leader.

OTOH, I merely asked which party controls the House at present. And...since the Democrat party controls the House at present, if they didn't want to have this silly vote, they could've refused to allow the record vote, for instance. In other words, the Democrats are content to allow the Republicans to get nothing done, since that gives them something to campaign on ("we need a bigger majority!"), and Republicans are content to get nothing done ("damn Democrats! They've done NOTHING for TWO YEARS.").

I'm sorry--I found the whole thing pathetically stupid. The Republicans for wasting time, and the Democrats for allowing it.

6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

A republican moved to reconsider, and 177 of his constituents played the game of voting for something before voting against it. But somehow, it's equally the majority's fault for granting the Con men's motion. I suppose I see your point, it certainly seems like our cowards in office didn't wanna deal with the war spending bill until next week.

Anyhow, here's a bit more:

The high point came just after 6 p.m., when, after one of the motions to adjourn, 61 members lined up to change their votes, one by one. Forty-six went from aye to no, while 15 changed from no to aye. The maneuver ate up 28 minutes in all -- and caused an eruption by Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, who accused the minority of a "filibuster by vote changing."

"I know that probably all of you did polls on that and focus groups on whether or not you should vote aye or nay," Hoyer mocked. "What just happened is not appropriate for the House for either side, to simply use a device of changing votes, of voting late, of lining up in the aisle and coming down every 30 seconds or so with one more vote."

But the dilatory maneuvers continued, and the Democrats finally announced that they would postpone the vote on the mortgage bill until Thursday, thereby pushing a war spending bill to next week.

7. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

If we saw strong action being taken by the majority party, I wouldn't include them. But they appear to be content to accomplish nothing, as is the minority.

Which really, I don't understand. It seems like it would be a golden opportunity for one part or another to step up and at least try to accomplish something. Run against the other party as obstructionist, but to sit there and play these foolish games is pathetic.

Analogy: If a child (say one 7-10 years old, old enough to know how to behave), behaves badly or causes a disturbance, and nothing is done to stop it, I generally get annoyed with the child, but more so with the parent for allowing it to happen.

For better or worse, Mrs. Pelosi is the "mother" up there.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere.

:bricks:

9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

everybody Shut The Fu(k Up!

10. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +780 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

As a.paul said, why are they wasting their time ? We have too many congressmen, they have nothing useful to do evidently.

Let's have a resolution that the day is brighter than the night and that 2+2=4; oh, and that the children are the future.

Jesus.

11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +900 / 7 / -3

Reminds of the guy who introduced a military draft bill a couple of years ago, and voted against it.

12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +900 / 7 / -3

Why are we wasting time, and tax payer money, voting on stupidity like a Mother's Day resolution? Seriously, wtf? Then people wonder why we're so fukced up in this country. It's time to nuke Washington & start over.

13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

:eek: WTF, man! Have a cold one and a couple tokes! It beautiful out and it's Saturday NIGHT!

14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,998 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

You should have been a mod Wistah ... :p