Welcome to PatsFans.com

Republicans Turn On Their Own

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, May 25, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Between Rand Paul, Vaughn Ward and this guy do the words, "self-destruct," come to mind?

Republican Tim D'Annunzio, who is running for congress in North Carolina's eighth district, is being attacked as "unfit for public office at any level" by his own political party.

Tom Fetzer, who chairs the North Carolina GOP, came out swinging at D'Annunzio over the weekend as the congressional hopeful battles Harold Johnson for the Republican nomination ahead of a June 22 runoff election.

"By my personal observation of his behavior, and by acquaintance with his record and background, I consider Mr. D'Annunzio unfit for public office at any level," Fetzer explained to the Charlotte Observer. "What he could do to the party as our nominee is secondary in my view to what he could do to the country if he got elected. If he got elected, for crying out loud, that would be a disaster."

Court documents portray D'Annunzio as "a self-described religious zealot" who once called the U.S. government the Antichrist and told his ex-wife that he'd found the Ark of the Covenant.

Republican Congressional Candidate Deemed 'Unfit For Public Office' By His Own Party

Earlier this year, D'Annunzio raised eyebrows when his campaign held a "machine gun social" fundraiser at which a $25 contribution bought supporters a barbecue dinner and a semi-automatic machine gun magazine for use at Jim's Guns Indoor Shooting Range in Fayetteville, NC.

And on yeah, he won the support of The N.C. Tea Party.

2. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0

#95 Jersey

Eric Massa and Scott Lee Cohen say hello...That's just off the top of my head. Both parties have their fair share of unsavory candidates....

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +463 / 12 / -14

Why don't you report on the bribe offered to Sestak to drop out of the PA dem primary by the administration?

Who should go to jail for the bribe?

What did Barry know and when did he know it?

4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +591 / 24 / -19

5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +571 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Oh, no...inappropriate relationships are fine & dandy! I personally like them!

Adds a little spice to life, ya know?

6. Patters

Ratings:
    +591 / 24 / -19

Even in the worst case, this is not a scandal that has legs in terms of the White House. From various things I've read, bribery statutes have never been used for this kind of issue. The general feeling appears to be that this issue could damage Sestak more than Obama, but that said it's politically wise for the Republicans to try to milk it for all it's worth.

7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +463 / 12 / -14

Joe Sestak Dem congresscritter and Senate candidate says administration officals offered him a position to drop out of the primary race. That is a bribe using the taxpayers money to buy off a politican.

Funny how you are fine with corruption if a dem is the one breaking the law.

8. Patters

Ratings:
    +591 / 24 / -19

According to CREW, admittedly a liberal watchdog group, bribery statutes have never been used with regard to political horsetrading. I'm honestly not sure what I think of it. It's not really much different than ambassadorships, which in the same way can also be looked at as bribes, I suppose.

I don't like corrupt Democrats anymore than I like corrupt Republicans, but I think the examples in this thread are about Republican infighting, hypocrisy, and sleaze, more than corruption.

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Um,they're running for office right now?

10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +463 / 12 / -14

Here is some info on the applicable federal codes:

These are felonies BTW.

11. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,491 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

This is the kind of crap that happens when the nation polarizes along party lines. You get the weirdies coming out of the woodwork, in both parties.

Is that like wireless cable? :rolleyes:

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +591 / 24 / -19

I wonder what he statute of limitations is on those federal codes? We ought to prosecute the Bush I & II, Clinton, Reagan, etc. White House officials for offering ambassadorships. Then we can prosecute every single member of Congress for employing someone who worked on their campaign or was a child of the someone who worked on their campaign (since that could constitute a bribe).

Honestly, pf13, I understand the value of making political hay out of this and maybe it would be a good idea to prevent any patronage jobs or political horsetrading. I'll have to give this more thought.

13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +463 / 12 / -14

Tell it to the ex gov of Ill. HE is being prosecuted for soliciting bribes for political position.

Sestak blew the whistle not me. HE has said publicly that he was offered a job in exchange for dropping out of the race, that my friend is a felony. When a sitting congressman says a bribe was offered that should be investigated.

14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +789 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

1) This thread is not about corruption. This thread is about incompetence and stupidity. You want a thread about corruption - start one.

2) Sestak was supposedly offered this phantom position in July, 2009. Why is it suddenly such a big deal today? Why didn't he immediately follow through and make these charges when it happened - and follow through on both proving them and putting a stop to them?

No one should be offered anything to drop out of a race - by anyone - for any reason or for any reward. That being said, I have a hard time believing it's never happened before.

On both sides of the fence.

15. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0

#95 Jersey

My point was that stupidity was not exclusively a Republican gene. Just as the refusing to ask for directions, scratching oneself and reflexively hitting the remote control repeatedly gene are exclusively attached to the Y chromosome and limited to the male of the species. Shopping and talking on the phone for hours is recessive and requires two X chromosomes.
    Stupidity in politics is dominant and is widespread....

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 5 / -10

Where's John Fonda Kerry------:confused:

17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +463 / 12 / -14

Axelrod has accused Sestak of Lying, Sestak says he was offered a bribe, dems turning on each other .....try to follow.