Welcome to PatsFans.com

Republicans standing down

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +163 / 4 / -4

U.S. debt ceiling: House Republicans brace for compromise to avoid U.S. default - latimes.com

Republican leaders in the House have begun to prepare their troops for politically painful votes to raise the nation's debt limit, offering warnings and concessions to move the hard-line majority toward a compromise that would avert a federal default.

For weeks, GOP conservatives, particularly in the House, have issued demands about what they would require in exchange for their votes to increase the debt limit. In negotiations with the White House, Republican leaders have found those demands were unattainable. Unwilling to risk the economic and political consequences of a federal default, which could come as early as Aug. 2, they have started the difficult process of standing down.

At a closed-door meeting Friday morning, GOP leaders turned to their most trusted budget expert, Rep. Paul D. Ryan of Wisconsin, to explain to rank-and-file members what many others have come to understand: A fiscal meltdown could occur if Congress fails to raise the debt ceiling.
  2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

3. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

Obama was offering combination of spending cuts and tax increases. Boehner was saying tax increases are off the table.

Starting with a more extreme position in a negotiation and then coming off it hardly makes one more reasonable than the party who starts closer to middle ground in the first place.
  4. Patters

Ratings:
    +163 / 4 / -4

You make it sound like the Republicans are surrendering, not compromising. A compromise implies movement from both sides. I suppose then you think Obama's going to get what he wants -- end of oil and other big business tax breaks, end of the Bush tax cut for the wealthy, as well as cuts in entitlements. On the other hand, maybe you haven't thought it through and are simply engaged in a healing catharsis to help you get through the fact that the Republicans are being forced to give ground.
  5. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

republicans compromise? lol

that's hilarious
  6. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +110 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

What specific cuts was he offering? When would these cuts take effect?
  7. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

I don't know the details, just heard rough figures (or percentages, I'm not even sure which it was).
  8. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

The Speech
    SOURCE:For GOP, It
  9. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +110 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Then how can you imply that Obama is being reasonable and teh rep's are not?

Bush I was sucked into tax increases with the promise of spending cuts. Those spending cuts never happened. If the Reps agree to any tax changes with the promise of spending cuts to take place several years out, they are really stupid.
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +163 / 4 / -4

Obama has all along stated he wants a big package that would address Social Security and Medicare issues. He provided a negotiating proposal to the Republicans, but they did not come back with a compromise, they came back with their rhetoric. Obama is clear that he's willing to cut entitlements if there are tax increases and loopholes are closed, especially for big oil. The Republicans have not budged on their stand that they simply want budget cuts with no tax increases. If you've been following this issue, you'd know that Obama has earned the ire of a large segment of the left for his willingness to cut entitlements. A reasonable proposal by the Republicans would involved budget cuts and tax hikes, such as getting rid of the $20 billion tax break for oil companies. But, they have not budged on the issue.
  11. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

I don't know whether Obama or the pubs are being reasonable.

Read the post I responded to. I stated that simply coming off a position doesn't mean a party in a negotiation is being reasonable, just as sticking to a position doesn't mean one is being unreasonable.
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

No tax increases. We are all taxed enough. Spend less.

From what I heard discussed on some of the sunday shows over the weekend, the dem/Obama plan has $2 billion in cuts for 2012. So tax increases, and $2 billion cuts. Yippie! :rolleyes: I'd like to tell you what the GOP plan is, but I'm not sure they even have one.

I hope the Dems/GOP grow some stones, present a bill, and vote on it. What annoys me is all the posturing from both sides. Put something together and put it to a vote. At least then the public will know where the goal posts are. Instead all I hear about is the dumb down media & pols parroting useless figures like $2 trillion and $4 trillion, as well as the diarea poll numbers for all these different BS terms like "balanced approach" & "compromise" or "shared" whatever. All of that is useless fodder for the morons who don't pay attention, cuz they're too busy watching American Idol or MTV. I want specifics. How much is being cut, what it's being cut from, and when is the axe going to be raised. Anything else is useless. Everyone should know that cuts planned for 10 years from now are NEVER going to happen. Ever.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  13. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

No Need to Step Down

Why the need to step down when the DemoRATS and the Minus One haven't stepped to the plate?
    Presidential flummery and questions left unasked | Hugh Hewitt | Columnists | Washington Examiner

A guy from the media asking a question as if a Republican were in the Oval Office? Deviating from the game plan almost always makes waves.

In this link Charles Krauthammer calls the media on the supposed four trillion the White House is supposedly willing to cut, without providing any substance. And the media treats the White House leaks like gospel!

Most guys and gals here will ignore the video, which is extremely damning to the whole premise of this thread.
  14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +123 / 7 / -13

The pubs passed the Ryan plan already. 6T in cuts w/o tax increases. the Senate (Reid) haven't passed a budget since the FY 2009 budget. Obozo has not talked about 1 specific cut.
  15. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +327 / 6 / -7

You keep repeating this mantra, but speaking historically and in comparison to other nations, there's simply no logical argument you could advance that would support this claim.
  16. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +327 / 6 / -7

I'm not sure I would be touting the Ryan plan if I were you.

Though it's certainly a good way for the Republicans to commit electoral Hara-kiri.
  17. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

when talking about historical rates, is that all taxation or just federal income tax?
  18. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +327 / 6 / -7

I believe we're talking income tax when talking about historical rates.

I don't have any problem with spending cuts per se, but it's particularly galling for RW to keep making this claim in light of the fact that, for example, the wealthiest 400 Americans are now paying HALF the taxes they paid in 1995.

A few ground rules I have when it comes to the debt/deficit debate:

1.) Any solution will have to involve both tax increases and spending cuts
    2.) Now is not the time to make severe spending cuts, so any agreed upon cuts will need to be backloaded
    3.) People only care about the deficit because the economy is sluggish
    4.) Any solution that doesn't involve cuts to the military is unserious. Any solution that relies upon draconian cuts to discretionary spending is similarly unserious.
    5.) The Bush tax cuts were never supposed to permanent, and should be allowed to expire next year for all brackets. Unless the economy still sucks, in which case a 1-year extension for all but the top bracket would be amenable
    6.) Paul Ryan's plan is fundamentally unworkable and is more reflective of an ideological agenda to gut the social safety net than it is about serious debt reduction
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  19. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Mark Steyn: No bargaining with Barack Obluffer - Orange County Register
  20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

Jack, if you know I keep repeating that, then you should also know that I don't give a flying **** what the tax rates in other countries are. Just cuz your neighbor is fat and ugly, it doesn't mean that you should should be fat & ugly too. Is that logical enough for you? :rolleyes: