Welcome to PatsFans.com

Republicans "Help" The Poor

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

get poorer...........

And, as usual, they make sure the rich get richer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/25/child-tax-credit_n_5620014.html

Taking the credit away from those of the lower income rungs and adding it to the upper echelon will add $115 Billion dollars over the next ten years to the deficit since the author's of the bill did not find a way to offset the lost revenue.

The name of this bill which takes $1.725.00 away from the single mom with three kids working full time and earning minumun wage of $14,500 per year and gives the family of four earning $150,000.00 per year a cool $2,200.00 more in their income tax return is "The Child Tax Credit Improvement Act of 2014."

Some improvement......The minumum wage earner looses $144.00 a month and the person earning 10X that amount gains $187.00.

2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +611 / 7 / -7

Hey, ya play the hand you're dealt...
    [​IMG]

3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Why? So the Republicans can raise the bar again?

• Like Like x 1
  4. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +220 / 9 / -25

So again....is this the government's money or my money? So when the government doesn't take as much of my money, how am I "gaining" my own money back? It is my money to begin with, right?.....or is all my earned money the government's money and they're just kind enough to allow me to have some of it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +611 / 7 / -7

Oh stop it RIP. You gain when you're taxed less. You lose when you're taxed more. The amount you presently pay is the benchmark.

You want zero, go somewhere without a government. Here in the real world, we can actually discuss tax policy without a trip down juvenile I-read-Ayn-Rand-Sophomore-Year memory lane.

6. iapatsfan

iapatsfan 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +250 / 95 / -43

What a high bar it is. Your "single mom with three kids" should have fewer kids or earn more. They should not be my problem. Any micron of sympathy she would get from me was lost after kid number one.

7. iapatsfan

Ratings:
    +250 / 95 / -43

The bench mark is what you earn. You don't get to set the bench mark (especially as a federal employee that contributes absolutely nothing to the federal coffers).

More reductio ad absurdum from you. Nobody claimed to want "zero". There is legitimate discussion to be had as to what governmental entities are necessary vs. wasteful excess. If I was in your occupational shoes, I wouldn't want that discussion to be had either. Unless, of course, metrical poetry pays the bills at home.[/QUOTE]

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Actually, it doesn't matter if she has one child or 10. If the person filing the return makes less than $15,000.00 they can't apply for the credit regardless of family size. Thank you for clarifying that.

9. RI Patriots fan

Ratings:
    +220 / 9 / -25

Ok, so you're saying that the government has a right to a certain percentage of my money. That the money is theirs and I get a "break" or a "gain" when they give me some of their money.

The "real world" of economics used to be liberty....you know, how it used to be before you Progressives got hold of our National soul.

I want us to return to that liberty where we take care of ourselves. The USA that my forefathers came to which was the land of opportunity with no guarantees and no handouts from a faceless Progressive government.

I will always fight against Progressivism....always....and anytime someone is able to push back and take back even a little more freedom from that faceless menace whether it be the money they earn or the guns they have the right to carry on their person or their very right to life.....I will be there leading the cheers.

10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,148 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

Mrs. PF ... that women is eligible for many other programs that other people do not qualify for. How can one get a tax credit for money they have not paid in taxes ... a woman earning 15K is not paying much if any taxes at all. She is eligible for WIC, SNAP, perhaps section 8 housing, utilities assistance, etc...

The federal government needs to find creative ways to get people to have more children to keep the economy stable. Now we can just open the borders ... adjust immigrations numbers (my favorite) ... and/or get people to start making more babies.

Looking at one small government action usually entails why it was done and what will it help. From my daily travels in mostly urban areas I do not believe lots of babies is a lower income problem ... they are still making them. But we need all groups in this country to keep making them ... one segment producing children at good rates is simply not enough to sustain the country in the future.

11. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +611 / 7 / -7

Really, RIP? Not since the Constitution. Is that when we lost our liberty?

Article 1, Section 8, Clause 1.

Similarly the 16th Amendment established the income tax.

I understand and agree with the argument that in the seventeenth century, it was Progressivism to form a new, Democratic country. However, the fact that taxation was to be the source of government income was not some new, progressive idea. Taxation pertained prior to the establishment by our Founding Fathers of American taxation, going back some thousands of years.

PFnV

12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Unless, of course, they were part of the 2 million immigrants drawn here by the free land given to them by the Federal Government under The Homestead Act.

http://www.grit.com/farm-and-garden/homestead-act-of-1862.aspx#axzz38bIXtNkB

13. Boogs

Boogs 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +181 / 3 / -4

Our government spends way too much money. And they take way too much money.

14. RI Patriots fan

Ratings:
    +220 / 9 / -25

15. iapatsfan

Ratings:
    +250 / 95 / -43

Whether she had one child, or she had 10, she was irresponsible, an idiot or both. What is your case for me being forced to contribute to this woman? If she chooses to have children before she is financially capable of taking care of them, why should my private property be confiscated to support her?

16. RI Patriots fan

Ratings:
    +220 / 9 / -25

Yes, thanks for the 101 Progressives lesson on taxation but the country had an income tax before the 16th Amendment. You might want to read what the 16th Amendment actually says.

"The Revenue Act of 1861, formally cited as Act of August 5, 1861, Chap. XLV, 12 Stat. 292, included the first U.S. Federal income tax statute (see Sec.49). The Act, motivated by the need to fund the Civil War [1], imposed an income tax to be "levied, collected, and paid, upon the annual income of every person residing in the United States, whether such income is derived from any kind of property, or from any profession, trade, employment, or vocation carried on in the United States or elsewhere, or from any other source whatever [ . . . .]”[1] Rates under the Act were 3% on income above $800 (adjusted for inflation: $18,875 in as of 2009[update] dollars [2]) and 5% on income of individuals living outside the country. The Revenue Act of 1861 was signed into law by Abraham Lincoln. This Act introduced Federal income tax as a flat rate tax."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenue_Act_of_1861

Before this act (another disgraceful act of Lincoln), the federal government existed for decades without a federal income tax and until 1913 federal income taxes were a small part of the revenues of the USA. The 16th Amendment was a horrible addition to our Constitution and we are paying dearly for that mistake even today.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Right....because only idiots and irresponsible people ever get cancer or become unexpected widows or become victims of crimes or find themselves suddenly and unexpectedly poor for any one of a thousand other perfectly valid reasons.

18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +574 / 11 / -4

#24 Jersey

Are you trying to say we don't pay taxes the same as you do????

19. iapatsfan

Ratings:
    +250 / 95 / -43

Comparing getting pregnant from a willful act to cancer is a stretch don't you think?

20. iapatsfan

Ratings:
    +250 / 95 / -43

That is exactly what I am saying. Actually I contend it is worse than that.

When your tax "contribution" gets dropped into the exact same pile from which you took your earnings, your net contribution was a negative.

If you take a ladle of water from a well, and spill a little back in while you are withdrawing it, you still contributed nothing to the well. In other words, my tax dollars funded the position to begin with. Anything you are "contributing" had already been confiscated from me.