Welcome to PatsFans.com

Republicans Block Veterans Jobs Bill

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Once again. obstructionism at it's finest.....and at the expense of our vets.

How do these guys sleep at night????

Senate GOP Blocks Veterans Jobs Bill : Roll Call News

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,805 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Unreal ... I would gladly pay more taxes to help our veterans ... they offer their life - we can offer our money.

3. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I agree Icy and Mrs. Taking care of the ones who we send into harms way isn't a question (or a vote) to me really.

Sadly our government automatons don't see it that way...

The lot of em can kiss my you know what.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +213 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Maybe the timing of this vote is just coincidence but my cynical side says it was timed perfectly and the Dems knew how it would and had already had their talking points already set.

That said, timing and genuine concern aside, most republicans wind up looking like hey don't care. I noticed Scott Brown bucked the party and voted for the bill. I hope the voters in MA took notice as well.

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

That's always possible, but let's not forget that they were "on vacation" for 6 weeks in Aug/Sept and they're leaving again at the end of this week and won't return until after the elections.

Sounds like they gotta squeeze things in when they can.

6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 10 / -14

There already are programs available for vets they aren't being fully utilized.

A growing economy is needed for vets and everyone else more than another job bill to train people for jobs that don't exist and won't until the economy is healthy again.

At least that is how I see it as a Vet myself.

7. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +347 / 2 / -2

Sounds like where we need to cut the budget starts with them.

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +711 / 20 / -30

You have to understand "rightiespeak"..

When they say help the military, they really mean help the war profiteers..

The military men and women are merely cannon fodder for the masters of war..

9. Charlotte Pats Fan

Charlotte Pats Fan 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +225 / 1 / -3

No Jersey Selected

Anyone read the link? Revenue bills start in the house.

“This violates the Budget Control Act, there is no dispute about it,” Sessions said in a floor speech Wednesday. “The bill will not even go through the House and it violates the Constitution because it says revenue bills must be started in the House ... [and] this is a revenue bill.”

S. 3457

SEC. 2. VETERANS JOBS CORPS.

(a) Establishment- The Secretary of Veterans Affairs shall, in cooperation with the Attorney General, the Secretary of Agriculture, the Secretary of Commerce, the Secretary of Homeland Security, the Secretary of the Interior, and the Commanding General of the United States Army Corps of Engineers, establish a veterans jobs corps to employ veterans--

(1) in conservation, resource management, and historic preservation projects on public lands and maintenance and improvement projects for cemeteries under the jurisdiction of the National Cemetery Administration; and

(2) as firefighters and law enforcement officers.

This isn't a training progeam to help veterans get skill required to enter their chosen field. It a bill for more Cops, Firefighters and Groundskeepers.

10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I can't speak to all parts of this bill, but I can speak to #2.

As it stands now, a person who was a medic in the military or a firefighter does not come home and automatically qualify to be hired as either of those things in the USA.

This bill was going to streamline the process - to help change the qualifications here and to expedite the training/hiring process for those wanting to make the transition.

In other words, they are already qualified to do the job, they've been trained and they've certainly got the experience - but they don't have the certification or the license necessary to be hired by a local fire/police department. This bill would have changed the process, paid for the necessary cross-training and found a way to let them apply for and receive certification/licensing without having to undergo an entire EMT/firefighter course. (Most of which take at least 2 years or more.)

11. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Mrs. does that vary by state?

Two of my roommates in college were EMT/Firefighters and neither went to training for 2 years - if I am not mistaken the MA academy at the time was something like 6 months.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +674 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Possibly.....there is a National Registry for medics but most don't take the test since state-by-state training is so different.

EMTs also have different levels. A basic course is usually 6-8 months but a full fledged paramedic program is at least 18 months to 2 years....at least it is in Indiana, Illinois and Virginia - but then again, those are the only states I am personally acquainted with.

Same for firefighting - you can actually get certified in 6 months but you're not going to be qualified for anything higher in a fire department. More and more they are requiring an actual degree in fire science from new hires.

I think that's the thing - the competition gets harder and harder - so many kids are getting college degrees in fire science and related fields that the ex-military guys (who are trained and who have valuable experience) aren't competitive with them when it comes to applying for the job.

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Veterans Jobs bill killed in the Senate

The Veterans Jobs Corp Act would have created new job-training programs to help veterans find work in targeted fields such as national park conservation, historic preservation projects, police work and firefighting, among others.

Sens. Scott Brown (Mass.), Susan Collins (Maine), Dean Heller (Nev.), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Olympia Snowe (Maine) were the only Republicans who voted for the waiver, in a 58-40 vote.

Some GOP senators who helped WRITE The bill voted against it. WTF?

GOP blocks veterans jobs bill with budget vote - The Hill's Floor Action

way to take a crap all over the brave men and women who fight for the freedom to not be supported by the GOP when they return home!

Maybe Mitt can buy them some milk?

14. Charlotte Pats Fan

Charlotte Pats Fan 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +225 / 1 / -3

No Jersey Selected

15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey