Welcome to PatsFans.com

Republicans block oil co taxes,whats new?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Jun 10, 2008.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Surprise,surprise,surprise? Republicans refuse to tax BIG OIL.

Ok Neo-Clowns whats your excuse this time?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080610/ap_on_go_co/congress_oil_profits

WASHINGTON - Senate Republicans blocked a proposal Tuesday to tax the windfall profits of the largest oil companies, despite pleas by Democratic leaders to use the measure to address America's anger over $4 a gallon gasoline.

The Democratic energy package would have imposed a tax on any "unreasonable" profits of the five largest U.S. oil companies and given the federal government more power to address oil market speculation that the bill's supporters argue has added to the crude oil price surge
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

SHOCKER-zulu!

is there really any debate about where the line in the sand is?
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

How many of us in this forum are Oil executives?

How many have stock in Big, or small oils?

How many of us are in a Saudi 'rOIL' family?

These profits probably help about .0002% of the american public. They must be making decisions based on something other that what is poular.....now....what could...it....be?
  4. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,200 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

Look, I'm the last one to defend Big Oil and their lackeys on Cap Hill, but this particular bill, rushed through at this time, looked a bit disingenuous and fishy to me.

I'm sorry, but it has the smell of short-term political grandstanding sticking to it big-time. I would hope Pelosi and Reid would actually have the substance to come up with a long-term energy proposal (as they promised 1.5 years ago).

This garbage is as bad as Hilary and McCain grandstanding the "Repeal the Gas Tax" b.s. last month.
  5. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

See, the windfall profits tax is a bad idea. Think it through with me for a minute, forgetting that it's Dems v. R's and that it's oil...who's to say what's an "unreasonable profit"? You want to give congress that much power?

And all windfall taxes would do is raise prices.

Now this (from your link) is what's really rotten:
    Separately, Democrats also failed to get Republican support for a proposal to extend tax breaks for wind, solar and other alternative energy development, and for the promotion of energy efficiency and conservation. The tax breaks have either expired or are scheduled to end this year.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +502 / 6 / -2

It's a dumb idea, and an awful bill. It's only meant to pander to the public. This is why our country is in shambles. There is a leadership void in all directions. You can win elections in this country by pointing fingers at the other guy, while saying "I'm not them", but eventually, after you get elected, you need to have a clue. If you don't, it won't be long before that person you pointed at X years ago, is standing there, pointing back at you.

Lather, rinse, repeat...as Joe Taxpayer suffers. :mad:
  7. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,200 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

\

I agree 100%. The REAL tragedy was not the defeat of the fishy/pandering windfall tax thing. The REAL TRAGEDY was the non-support for extending the altenergy tax breaks. That's simply unacceptable.

Instead of inventing a windfall tax, they should have been looking to repeal that infamous $4 billion tax break for Big Oil and redirected it to the altenergy tax break.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  8. FootballYouBet

FootballYouBet Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As much as I hate the Bush administration and the neocon crowd that have hijacked the Republican party, the Windfall profits tax was a stupid idea. It would solve nothing and it would make absolutely no difference. It's just another example of political grandstanding and what is wrong with Congress.

If you want to beat up on the Republicans, beat them up for voting not to extend tax breaks for alternative energies, or voting against these things below:

_Require traders to put up more collateral in the energy futures markets and open the way for federal regulation of traders who are based in the United States but use foreign trading platforms. The measures are designed to reduce market speculation.

_Make oil and gas price gouging a federal crime, with stiff penalties of up to $5 million during a presidentially declared energy emergency.

_Authorize the Justice Department to bring charges of price fixing against countries that belong to the OPEC oil cartel.
  9. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

How would this have helped the average guy at the gas pump? The politicians are mostly responsible for the high gas prices. Yet, they point their shameful fingers at Oil exec's. I've never heard an Oil Exec say he was looking out for the people, but I'veheard plenty of politicians say that.

Sure there are other reasons and I don't for one minute think Oil companies are concerned about the average guy. But, it's the politicians who have blocked energy developement in our own country and we are paying hte price for that now.

In 1995, Clinton vetoed a bill that would have allowed drilling in Anwar. If he hadn't, we would have that oil now. I'm just not blaming the Dem's, there are many Rep's who were dumb and happy without an real energy policy.
  10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

IF taxes are raised on oil companies gas will cost us more.

Do you want to pay more for GAS??????????
  11. shmessy

Ratings:
    +1,200 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

Aside from the first two posters in this thread, I think we have pretty much bipartisan agreement here that this bill was stupid, shortsighted and pandering.
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

They should be forced to use profits on building and fixing their refineries ... but why would they ... so the price of fuel can fall?
  13. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +502 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

As has been stated, how would raising taxes on oil companies lower the price of gas ? Does that pass ANYONE's sniff test ?

Drill for our own oil. Duh.
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I agree.
    I mean, who in their right mind thinks we don't pay for all the costs associated with fuel production? What business doesn't pass on the costs to the consumer? Complete grandstanding and avoidance of the real problem...a complete lack of an energy policy that leaves the US open to blackmail by OPEC and continued impotence on developing alternative sources of energy. I can't believe everyone can't see through this. It's like the suspension of the gas tax...pure pandering and insulting.
  15. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +183 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

the Chinese are doing that off the coast of Cuba about 80 miles away from the US. But, we can't drill 200 miles off our coast.:eek: because the politicians won't let us.
  16. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +502 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

In 2006 (tax data always lags a little), Oil Companies paid more tax than the combined income tax of the bottom 75% of taxpayers.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/78793-oil-companies-paid-more-than-bottom-75-of-taxpayers

And yet your quote is :

Talk about SPIN.
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The only reason the Chinese are doing it is because of our lack of relationship with Cuba. They should be our friends and we should be doing business with them. The embargo on Cuba is a total failure. It is the main reason Castro is still in power.
  18. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +183 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

That's true to a degree. And the Chinese drilling has more product on the market so supply is increasing.

But if we had good relations with Cuba our politicians have made it so we can't drill off the Florida coast. Yes, a Rep Gov has blocked that. As I said before, there are many in both party's that have hurt us. My 2 Rep Senators from Maine are choosing caribou over people.
  19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +502 / 6 / -2

You're missing the point Wistah. Cuba/China is drilling 80 miles off our Florida coast, yet the politicians in this country won't allow us to drill the very same ****. Why pay Cuba to drill what's our own? We really should be drilling our own supply. It boggles the mind that we'd "outsource" our energy needs, and money, as we continuously have. We whine when Verizon sends tech support to India, yet we refuse to drill off our coast, which results in our sending $140 a barrell to people that hate us. It boggles the mind.
  20. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

The oil they are drilling is under US terrorial waters ie our oil. They are in Cuban waters and drilling horizontally to get our freakin oil our politicans have put off limit!!!!!!!!!!

RW has itr right.