Welcome to PatsFans.com

Republicans apologize to BP

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by JackBauer, Jun 17, 2010.

1. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +423 / 6 / -7

Heh. Always refreshing to see that the Republicans have their priorities in order.

Say What? GOPers Slam White House Over BP Gulf Spill Fund | TPMDC

The fact that Barton looks like the product of vigorous inbreeding notwithstanding, it's interesting to note that 1 of every 4 dollars Barton has raised over the course of his career has come from the energy sector.
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -2

This is exactly the kind of response we'd be hearing from the right if Obama had taken more aggressive action to address this crisis.

Politicization of an enormous crisis. Just one more reason to be disgusted by our so-called "leaders."
  3. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +423 / 6 / -7

Somehow, I don't think this line of attack is going to resonate with the American people.

It's just asinine and totally tone deaf. I really have to wonder WTF they're thinking.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +370 / 4 / -2

This is Coke or Pepsi people. All these hacks need to go asap. If BP openly agreed to this escrow account, then what's the problem? Personally I prefer some of these loons speak up, so that they can easily be voted out in November, or whenever it is that their time is up. Whomever said he is "ashamed", is a complete fool.

I will say one thing though, I do think that the use of these funds should be open, and public. I don't want to see funds going to cousins, friends, donors, unions, lobbyists, etc. I don't think anyone wants to see that.
  5. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Do you think you can move past econ 101 and game theory? I don't hear any of the "coke " people that being dem's going this route, so there is no coke vs pepsi.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  6. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The righties remind me of the The Children of Israel in the bible, I feel bad for a human that can't think on this own or is so ignorant that it lets its ideology supersede his/her values.

If I was in charge, BP would be bankrupt and done with......A company that disrespects its country and its people doesn't deserve anything but the end of a boot.

Your a clown if you stick up for BP, they're bad people.
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I can't believe we have Governors and senators defending this industry that does nothing but screw poeple, pollute, and put our nation in perpetual need of the product they sell..

Imaginge a politician backing the Asbestos industry, or wanting more lead in paint??? Or incresing DDT spray on crops.... its redonculous.

this is the end...

enjoy the ride america!
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +485 / 2 / -9

The US Government should have moved in on day one, kicked BP out and fixed the f-cking leak themselves for the sake of the people and the environment they are always bleating about.

Environmentalists:
    where is that friggin moron al gore
    where are the hollywood "green people"
    where are the "save the whale kooks"
    where the f-ck did they go?

I'll tell you where they are, they are silent on purpose including the fool in the white house, they want it to get so bad that they can then crucify the oil Industry the very industry that they know they can't live without, riding bycycles is a god damn wet dream joke, tell all those rich left wing liberals they have to walk or ride a bike and watch what you get, Al Gore just bought a house that burns 10,000 gals of oil an hour he owns 3 SUV's, tell Nancy Skanky Pelosi she has to ride a bike to work, tell weasle harry reid he has to build a windmill in his back yard to heat his house, PEOPLE NEED OIL, PEOPLE WANT OIL, DRILL FOR THE F-CKING OIL, ACCIDENTS HAPPEN IN ALL WALKS OF LIFE WHEN THEY DO FIX THEM.

BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA IS TO BLAME FOR THE OIL STILL LEAKING WITH THE POWER HE HAS HE COULD HAVE IT FIXED IN A WEEK.

GOD DAMN OBAMA
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Harry, my man... Yo SHOULD be asking where all your TEA PARTY PEOPLE are.....

HOLY .....

for some reason, our Governmnet is letting a corporation handle our response, out land, our press and our workers.

I'm sure thsoe groups would all love to be there doing something, but it seems that with a few campaign contributions, and control over fossil fuels, you can outrank a government while destroying its land.

this is EVERYTHING our nation was built on turned upside down.

Tea-party people....Rememebr the East India Tea company? I British company....taxing you with no representation by the people...well, BP is now taking a giant $#!T on the gulf, and you are not represented....

This is an actual TEA PARTY moment.....and I have yet to see any of you step the fukc up!

STEP UP TEA PARTY......or shut up
  10. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +502 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

It's politically suicidal to be backing BP these days, and in this case I don't have a problem with the spirit behind the actions of the Obama administration. A stronger legal framework should be established here though, because an interesting precedent is being set that does leave the door open for abuse by someone else later on (think Yukos).
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +485 / 2 / -9

These are the phony's that are always spluttering and whailing about the environment
    Environmentalists:
    where is that friggin moron al gore
    where are the hollywood "green people"
    where are the "save the whale kooks"
    where the f-ck did they go?

I would have trashed the Tea Party also if they wanted me to ride a bike and wear a Parka in my house, I have never heard a Tea Partier whine about SUV Fumes.
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

No

The tea Party whines about "spending" and "Big Government"...so A$$backwards its sickens me. Those groups you mention, are not political parties, nor do they not act when something like this happens....

The REAL Tea Party was a revolution against one of the worlds largest corporations for treating the American people like they were some kind of p!$$-bucket.

Dick Armey and the likes have these people so confused that when something like this happens, which COULD bring a bunch of environmentalist LIBERALS over to the tea party and make it a viable force in politics, they are nowhere to be found.

The Tea-Party is a movement allright....a bowel movement.

and every politician who is apologizing to BP, YOU are unamerican...YOU are a shill...YOU better hope you dont meet me.
  13. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -2

How exactly should he have fixed this?

So tired of people bleating this kind of nonsense. What is the solution that is so simple? What part of our government has the deepsea drilling expertise and equipment to fix this?

and, btw, if you think this is the government's responsibility, be careful what you wish for -- should the government have a deepsea drilling department now, spending more billions on developing cutting edge technologies and teams to address this kinf of crisis? Wouldn't that entail vast spending and yet another bureaucracy, all to bail out corporations?
  14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

Have heard and read innumerable comments about how the White House could do more or Obama does not have a clue, but have never heard a concrete idea as to what they could be doing or what that elusive clue is...

To me this whole thing is more about partisan politics, rather than doing something positive about the worse environmental disaster we as a country has ever faced...
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Looks like many republicans are calling fo rthis a-hole's head....

'People are calling for his head' - POLITICO.com Print View

Republicans, particularly Gulf state lawmakers, are furious at Rep. Joe Barton (R-Texas) and may ask him to cede his job as top Republican on the Energy and Commerce Committee in the wake of his apology to BP Thursday.

"People are calling for his head," said a GOP member of the committee.

[..]Barton, headed into Minority Leader John Boehner's office, said calls for his resignation are "news to me."

Asked whether he planned to stay put as top Republican on the committee, he declared "Damn straight."

Lawmakers were "hunkered down" in Boehner's office to discuss the flap, according to the member who said people were calling for Barton's resignation.

Twitter / Lisa Desjardins: BARTON: More Repubs denoun ...

BARTON: More Repubs denouncing Barton (R-TX) apology to BP. Now Brown-Waite, R-FL, Putnam, R-FL, Scalise, R-LA and Miller
  16. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thread title is misleading. One Republican said it and the rest of the GOP is after him for it.
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I apologize for using the term "shakedown" with regard to yesterday's actions at the White House in my opening statement this morning, and I retract my apology to BP. As I told my colleagues yesterday and said again this morning, BP should bear the full financial responsibility for the accident on their lease in the Gulf of Mexico. BP should fully compensate those families and businesses that have been hurt by this accident. BP and the federal government need to stop the leak, clean up the damage, and take whatever steps necessary to prevent a similar accident in the future.

I regret the impact that my statement this morning implied that BP should not pay for the consequences of their decisions and actions in this incident.

-Dikhead congressman from TEXAS!
  18. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 13 / -7

Where is Michael Moore?????

Time to do a documentary on this crisis Michael Moore.

The priority should be stopping the oil from destroying the gulf.

How can you set a price when there is no end in site to the problem?

The 20 billion is a good start, but who is going to get the money?
    I will reserve judgement on that slush fund until I see who ge't the
    money.

Now any fool that apoligizes to BP should be tossed in the gulf.
    Just add feathers when he climbs out !
  19. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +423 / 6 / -7

Once again, you may want to actually take the time to read the link contained in the OP, lest you continue to embarrass yourself.

This is another example of the Republicans unwittingly revealing what they truly believe. Now that they've come to realize the odiousness of their views, they're trying to backpedal as quickly as possible to contain the damage.
  20. pherein

pherein Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Louisiana has begged for action to plans, more skimmers, that the barriers be built, that many more people be allowed to help, that we need enough boom to cover 8000 miles of coast line and etc and etc ....

6 weeks ago ... nothin

now our parish presidents and governor are violating federal law because they are no loner waiting for anything to be federally approved.. We are literally out there in the marsh with giant homemade vacuum clears, and it looks silly. I don't know about the other states, but we are not pleased at all with the governments response.