Welcome to PatsFans.com

Republican Nominees?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by chicowalker, Feb 3, 2011.

1. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +421 / 8 / -4

The mention in another thread of Bolton possibly running reminded me of something I've been wondering about: who are the early contenders for the Republican nomination?

I don't know if Bolton really is considering running. Pawlenty clearly is gearing up, but I don't think he has what it takes to get there. Paul (Ron) still seems too fringe, imo. Palin, despite harry and the DNC (strange bedfellows) wishing she would run, knows better, I think (why go through all that to lose, when you can make more $ yet have no accountability by staying on the sidelines). Four years ago I would have thought Jindal but he's disappeared from the national map, it seems. Ryan, maybe? Gingrich? I don't think he really wants his past opened back up. Romney seems like his day has passed, but maybe he lays low and then benefits from name recognition? Huckabee seems to me like his day, too, has passed, and I'm not sure he really wants it. Gary Johnson? (Is he really a Republican? like Paul, I don't know if he'd have enough party support, and some of his libertarian views will alienate many traditional Republican voters)

OK, I've run out of names and quick thoughts off the top of my head. Curious to hear people's thoughts, particularly from the Republicans here. (and Dems, love to hear your thoughts on strengths, weaknesses, apparent desire, etc.,too, of course -- but if at all possible, I'd like for this not to turn into a pissing match about any of the candidates)

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

I don't see how either Romney, or Huckabee's time has passed. I think another run for each (2012) would be perfectly inside their window of viability. Even then, they could possibly go for broke in 2016 if Obama is re-elected, as it would be a completely wide open field on both sides. That might be a stretch, but I think each is a viable candidate in 2012.

I've read some mention of Gary Johnson, but I don't know enough about him to opine on his chances. I saw him for the first time on Stossel when I was flicking channels the other night. He said 7 words in the 2 minutes that I tuned in for.

Agreed on Palin. I don't think she'll run. I don't think she can win if she does. Who knows though, she might run when the time comes, since it is politics and anything is possible.

Gingrich...LOL.

Pawlenty will get some pub, but as one pundit said one time, can you really see people getting fired up over "President Tim Pawlenty". His point was that the guys name, as trivial as it may be, doesn't exactly scream presidential.

The obvious name that comes to mind for the GOP, is Chris Christie. If he decides to run, which he's said to this point that he won't, then he'd be the clear front runner on the GOP side. I think he might be someone that the Dems might actually fear.

I think Romney will fare much better this time around. In some ways he was kind close to gaining the nomination in 2008, and I bet a lot of people in the GOP wish he had. I think the Mormon issue will be less problematic for him this time around, and his numbers oriented resume will make him appealing to voters if the economy isn't seen in a positive light 12-18 months from now. Aside from that, I think it's an open race for the GOP (which isn't saying much), and that there will likely be those couple of currently unknown names that will work their way into the public mix.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

McCain...the time is now.

4. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +421 / 8 / -4

re romney and Huckabee, I don't have anything behind it -- it was just my personal sense of things and could be 100% off on all counts.

Christie -- that's one I hadn't given any thought to. I know very little about him.

5. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +421 / 8 / -4

lol I thought of mentioning him but couldn't think of any comments that wouldn't be mean-spirited

6. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I don't really know, but I think this is a good idea for a discussion (as long as it doesn't resort to name calling and such). I'm with RW, I don't think Palin will run. She is hopefully happy making dumb shows and grabbing headlines when she can.

Right now, I'm thinking Gingrich or Romney. I don't really like either, but they have the name power of all of the potential candidates. From what I know of Pawlenty, I like him, but I don't know how that will pan out.

I'm just hoping someone with a strong libertarian bend is chosen, but I highly doubt that will happen.

7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,114 / 3 / -10

Bill Cosby

8. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +421 / 8 / -4

I have no idea what your party affiliation is -- if any -- but who would be your choices along those lines, probably Paul or Johnson?

btw, re Pawlenty, it's only a sample of 2, but I've seen him on a couple interviews b/c of the book he published, and he did not come across as strong. Not much personality, and he had a hard time putting forth a strong foundation for the points he was making. just 2 interviews, though, so I'm not sure it means much.

------------------

One thing just occurred to me re Huckabee -- if he runs, will his opponents use that parole / early release against him -- I think the guy who shot the police officers upin Washington state last year? or does the RNC do its best to keep it off the table, in case he winds up with the nomination?

9. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

10. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +907 / 6 / -9

If Jon Huntsman runs, he's the strongest general election candidate the Republicans have. Problem for him is making it through the GOP primary, which I don't see happening.

Right now the cast of Republican contenders is the usual grab bag of suck, and the window of opportunity for fresh blood is rapidly closing. Unless something major happens to shake up the field, Obama looks to be in good position for his reelection.

11. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I know, right?

anyway....as a registered republican, I'd lean towards Romney being the nominee.

He is in a very tough spot though. He will have to flip-flop again on his healthcare statements. And it will be very interesting to see if republican voters will be able to look past his faith.

(yes, that isn't a type-o...I'm a registered republican)

12. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

I don't have a favorite right now but the Republicans have to nominate someone who can express himself well. I know it sounds silly and obvious but since Reagan we've had Bush I, Bush I, Dole, Bush II, Bush II and McCain and none of them speak well. I'm a Conservative and agree with much of what that crew tried to say but I cringed hearing them try to explain themselves.

obama is a brainless idiot and liar but he speaks well. The Republicans have to nominate someone who can match, or come close to matching, that and then let the country decide whose vision they prefer.

Thankfully most of the candidates speak reasonably well or better. Again, I don't really have a favorite. I personally love Gingrich but I just don't think he's electable. Romney, Huckabee, Pawlenty, I'm just not sure yet. I do not want Palin.

I would love to have either Paul Ryan or Marco Rubio as the VP as they're both stellar Presidential candidates for 2016 if obama wins in 2012.

13. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +907 / 6 / -9

I can't believe there are people out there who believe this.

14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

I do, I do, I really do.

15. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

If the head of the Harvard Law Review is a brainless idiot, I wonder what that makes someone who clears brush for fun?

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

I don't know how he got that position but I've seen enough of him to form my personal opinion.

However this is detracting from the thread, I apologize for throwing that in here.

17. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +907 / 6 / -9

Then your bizarre hatred for the guy is clouding your judgment, as there's simply no rational basis for your claim.

It does, however, speak volumes that a "brainless idiot" could go up in the GOP's house and drop a big steaming mud monster all over them. I guess they need to do a better job recruiting so they can keep up.

18. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +421 / 8 / -4

There's time for it to change, but does he have the name recognition?

19. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +907 / 6 / -9

No. He doesn't have name recognition, he worked for Obama, and he's Mormon. He's also relatively moderate compared to today's Republican party.

Given the makeup of Republican primary voters, it's not a recipe for success.

20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

Gingrich IMO, is a hypocrite, a fraud, and emobodies the establishment that most voters increasingly despise. I would never vote for him, and I don't think he'd have a shot at winning. I will say that he comes across as a sharp SOB. He's no Biden or Palin for example. He's smart and looks it. Still, no thanks.

I'm not a Romney fan either. I think Romney is a bright man, and a decent human being, but he's a gimmick, finger in the wind politician. If Romney were principled, and core driven, he'd be a more viable guy. I personally prefer people who at honest about their positions as possible. At least then I know where they stand, and can respect them. When pols say one thing, then say and do another, while constantly moving the goal posts of what it is they believe, I move on. I say this with the understanding that every politician be given a certain allotment of disengenuousness. It simply is required in that field. The extent to which they do it is what makes or breaks them for me. Romneycare, among other things, was what finally sank his ship.

Ditto on Pawlenty, which is why his name was being mentioned by the pundit I was listening too. I think his general point was that when you see and hear Pawlenty, both his name and persona, you just don't feel he's presidential. I've only heard him a couple of times personally though.

I don't know anything about Huntsman. I'll have to look him up.

Every incumbent president should be in a good position to be reelected. When they aren't, it points to a job not so well done.