Welcome to PatsFans.com

Republic Windows Not Shutting Down

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Leave No Doubt, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Apparently it's simply moving to Iowa under a new name (Echo Windows and Doors) and will be doubling it's workforce because it already has orders lined up.

The company in Iowa will NOT be unionized, and the workers in Chitown seem to feel BoA was aware of the fact Republic was wanting to leave Chicago anyway, implying that BoA and Republic had somewhat of a common goal.

As to BoA, it's not just Republic workers who want their money; immigrants rights activists who support the Republic workers, are asking for the same. If BoA takes care of one company it'll have to take care of them all.

Blagojevitch publicly supported the workers as did others. Great article on the whole debacle: Lee Sustar and Nicole Colson: Raising the Stakes at Republic
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Excellent link with a lot of info I didn't see elsewhere. Thanks for posting.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

I had posted that previously in the subsequent arguments,however seems to have been glossed over. Glad they resolved it...
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +208 / 3 / -10

Which only goes to prove it was Republic that was planning this move all along to bust the union. I don't see any responsibility on BoA's part in that move. It was a Republic Co. decision, so they're the one that should be on the hook to pay the workers.

Republic is the only one who violated a contract.

"This is important, because this is a form of union-busting," said Diane Ellis, the chief steward for the National Nurses Organizing Committee at Stroger. "Their contract was violated. Workers' rights were violated, when the company just shut them out. It's happening to them today, and it could happen to us tomorrow. You've got the fat cats walking away with the money and leaving all the workers here with nothing."
  5. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Counterpunch is one of my favorite reads. They're a pretty diverse group who cover a wide range of topics, always well-researched and well-written imo.
  6. Leave No Doubt

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

What's interesting to me is the fact this company (and I'm sure there are others) has moved itself to an area with increasing unemployment http://iwin.iwd.state.ia.us/pubs/etables/unemploymentrates.pdf ,meaning those people won't be quibbling about their 9.00/hr payrate,limited bennies, and no vaca for the first 3 years because they're just damn happy to have a job, period.

Business-wise Republic is taking advantage of a situation and it has a bank who believes this move is a financially savvy one so it's willing to invest. People can accuse BoA of many things but one thing nobody can deny is the fact they know how to make money, and if you dig deeply enough you'll likely find they own part of your * too.

Is it "nice"? Probably not, but since when is successful capitalism born of "nice".

If you move a business to an economically depressed area you can take advantage of and create a virtual slave labor market, and not necessarily worry about INS when you do it. See Walmart. Walmart's hub is in Bentonville,Arkansas btw. I wonder if Echo Windows will be encouraging it's employees to file for supplemental govt assistance/insurance like WalMart does.

Either way as long as this country revolves around $ and the making thereof, we'll probably see other moves just like this one. Meanwhile, as long as unemployment remains a sinkhole, people in Iowa and places like it won't be complaining about crap vaca time. They'll just be happy to get a paycheck and not have to pay 100% of their healthcare out of pocket.