Welcome to PatsFans.com

Reports of the Taliban's demise...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by wistahpatsfan, May 10, 2006.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

...are greatly exaggerated.

This sucks because these sub-humans should have been eliminated a long time ago. The troops in Afghanistan are doing the best with what they have, but they need more. I wonder where they might find the troops and material they need to find Bin Ladin and anihilate these as sholes?

And there's actually talk of going into Iran? Are you friggin kidding me? No wonder the Iranian president feels free to say whatever he wants. He's like the "Dirty Frenchmen" in Monty Python's 'Holy Grail"
    (Use French accent) "Now go away before I taunt you a second time! You silly English kinniget!"

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/05/10/afghan.taliban/index.html

2. The Gr8est

The Gr8est In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0

Demise?.....No, in fact one has been admitted as a student at Yale.

U.S. military is not permitted there though.

What a sad state of affairs when the Taliban is welcomed on a U.S. campus but members of the U.S. military are not.

http://media.yaf.org/latest/03_02_06.cfm

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  3. JJDChE

JJDChE 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Wow, fabulous logic there, Cappy. :rolleyes:

4. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How is it not logical? They allow the Deputy Forgeign Secretary of an organization that attacked our country to enroll into a degree program, but won't allow students to have a ROTC program. They are embracing a terrorist and denying the military.

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +517 / 14 / -28

Maybe there is more to the story than meets the eye, apparently Sean Hannity was
    yakking about it on his show...nothing somehow is ever this simple...there is a tendency to ignore facts and beg issues..

http://www.newshounds.us/2006/03/03/sean_hannitys_latest_target_for_tyranny_yale_university.php
    I’ll put forth a few facts that Hannity conveniently overlooked as he always does when he’s condemning other people. 1) According to a lengthy New York Times article (which will only temporarily be available to non-subscribers), Rahmatullah was offered a job in the Karzai administration in Afghanistan. Hmmm. Isn’t Karzai the president we back?

2) As the UK’s Timesonline reports, Rahmatullah spent most of his formative years in the slums of Quetta, a refugee from the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan.†(you know, that time while the US supported the Taliban.) “’When the Taleban took control of Kandahar in 1994 ‘nobody opposed them, not even the United Nations,’ he says. ‘They were seen as saviours. I wanted to join them.’â€

3) Also according to Timesonline, “ Rahmatullah now believes bin Laden has done more harm to Muslims than anybody else. …Rahmatullah now wants to promote understanding between the Muslim world and the West.â€

Mr Youngblood, has a vested interest in this issue as he director of development of the Young America Foundation...

http://www.yaf.org/staff/flagg_youngblood.cfm
    Flagg joined the Foundation’s staff to coordinate our efforts to protect and restore ROTC on college campuses and to defend the rights of high school, college, and graduate students to hear from military recruiters on their campuses. In addition, Flagg assists the Foundation’s development team.

While at Yale in the mid-nineties, Flagg worked with the Foundation, members of Congress, and other Yale students and alumni to combat ROTC’s second-class status on many campuses across the country. Flagg’s frustration with the 70-mile drive to the University of Connecticut in order to participate in ROTC culminated in the passage of the Pombo and Solomon amendments. The Foundation recognized Flagg with its National Campus Leadership Award in 1996 for his efforts on behalf of ROTC. Flagg also found time to run a successful direct-mail business while an undergraduate, in addition to being an active member of the Yale Political Union and his college fraternity.

Flagg attended the National Conservative Student Conference in Washington, D.C. in 1995, and a regional student conference in Connecticut in 1997. “Meeting Michael Medved, Newt Gingrich, and William F. Buckley through the foundation’s conferences was critical to my intellectua development as a conservative thinker,†recalls Flagg.

6. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I would like to think that his "party" affiliation would have little to do with his interest to bring the ROTC program to the University. The "former" terrorist aside, why are the politics of the school preventing the establishment of the ROTC program?

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +517 / 14 / -28

I think his party affiliation has everything to do with it, the point to my response is not to say he is right or wrong, but that there is more to this story than first published... Mr. Youngblood is on a mission and will do whatever he can to achieve this goal.. personally I am neutral on ROTC on campus.

8. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I gotcha...my reply wasn't intended to go after you or anything, and I appreciate the additional information. I was attempting to make a point about the politics of it all.
    It is shameful that politics play into opportunities for this countries young men and women. Is Yale against the US Military?

Why do you think his party affiliation plays into it? I get that, the right is Pro- and the left is Anti- military feeling. I think that this is a false pretense, but I'm interested to see someone else's opinion.

9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +517 / 14 / -28

Perhaps it is better said that his particular segment of his party's affiliation, the Young American Foundation is conservative with a specific agenda, guess they are considered hard core right wing... I agree it is unfair to break it down dem/rep... as there are folks on both sides who disagree or agree with the ROTC issue... all I am saying that the issue is not argued very well when you do some digging, the tactic used is used too often discredit the point at no matter what cause... to just say Yale supports the Taliban and does not like the ROTC is not correct, and unfortunately many issues are presented this way and unfortunately many people do not investigate further.

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 2 / -9

Yale:
    TALIBAN IN.
    US MILITARY OUT.

THE MUSLIM TERRORISTS LOVE IT.

F-CKING DISGUSTING.

11. The Gr8est

Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0

Maybe the liberals will develop a higher regard for the U.S. military once the American version of conservatism is replaced with the Islamic version of conservatism.

12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +347 / 13 / -11

I didn't know the Taliban were engaged in recruiting on campus and that American troops were being denied an education accorded to the Taliban. That's really terrible. Can you provide a link?

13. The Gr8est

Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0

The effectiveness of the U.S. military is what protects us and our way of life. The liberals oppostion to the military and recruitment efforts hampers the continued effectiveness of the military. Probably the most liberal city in the country, San Francisco, is leading the charge to keep military recruiters out of their schools. The Islamics want nothing less than to impose their religion on the entire world, including (and especially) the U.S.

Islamic conservatism gaining any sort of foothold here would be absolute misery to live under. Islamists respect only one thing...superior force. The liberals are hampering our efforts to oppose them.

14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +809 / 2 / -9

The first thing they will do is round up all the liberals and then Cut Their Heads Off.

15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Man, did this thread get twisted!

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +809 / 2 / -9

Don't worry, if it starts to go to far "Right" it will be "locked up" :rocker:

17. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +347 / 13 / -11

The military plays a relatively small role, but it is needed because of there are insane nations and groups tthat hate the United States. By and large, what protects us and our way of life is the fact that most of the world is civilized and not interested in attacking faraway lands. In fact, the United States is one of the very few countries since WWII that has invaded countries beyond its borders.

I think the U.S. military is very effective. It seems capable of carrying out any order it is given and it is backed not only by a superb training program, but the best technology in the world. I'm sorry you think that our way of life hampers the continued effectiveness of the military.

On the other hand, maybe the liberals are right. The Islamists have seen the damage done by Colonialism and western-installed governments, and are fed up. They are a reaction to western behavior. Take away western aggression and theft, and it's likely the Arab countries would have developed in a more mainstream way, marginalizing the radical Islamists, as we have marginalized the extreme Christian fundamentalists. The radicals have power because they are the only alternative to corrupt and abusive governments. The only other alternative, the Baathists, have been largely destroyed.

18. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's all your fault for starting it. :D

19. JJDChE

JJDChE 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think GJA pretty much made the point, but anyway...

Just because they have a student who was former Taliban and they don't have an ROTC program, someone assumes that "Yale" thinks Taliban>US Military.

It couldn't possibly be that Yale thought the Taliban guy was reformed, and they couldn't possibly have done any background checks before they admitted him. Nooooo, it must be because they LOVE the Taliban and hate the military. The definition of specious logic.

20. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What is a good reason to not allow an ROTC program on the campus?