PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports of Norv Turner to be fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In hindsight, I've got to think Spanos figures he chose poorly when he ended the power struggle between Schottenheimer and Smith.

Turner should have never been hired. My concern is that next year he will repeat history and replace another Schottenheimer. I can see the Jets going after him as their offensive coordinator next year and Woody Johnson would throw money at him.

Turner is a horrible head coach, but a pretty good offensive coordinator. I don't think he can turn around Sanchez, but he certainly play to his strengths more than Schottenheimer has. I think Schotty gets far more blame than he deserves in NY, but he is still mediocre.

AJ Smith is his own worst enemy. Between his time in Buffalo and San Diego, he's proven that he has the best eye for college talent in the entire NFL, but he is one egotistical maniac.

I don't agree with the eye for college talent at all.
At best he has an ability to draft in a way that analysts consider a great draft on draft day, and then have it turn out not so good.
He built a team by having many early picks, but his draft record is nothing special.

Turner should have never been hired. My concern is that next year he will repeat history and replace another Schottenheimer. I can see the Jets going after him as their offensive coordinator next year and Woody Johnson would throw money at him.

Turner is a horrible head coach, but a pretty good offensive coordinator. I don't think he can turn around Sanchez, but he certainly play to his strengths more than Schottenheimer has. I think Schotty gets far more blame than he deserves in NY, but he is still mediocre.

Turner is a tremendously overrated OC. Give him a great QB and great RB and he runs a good offense, otherwise he struggles. Sounds like 90% of OCs to me.
Take away the triplets years and his career is roundly disappointing.

You know, BOB going to SD even up for Norv as Offensive Coordinator to BB is not an awful idea. Belichick will make sure Norv does not play not not to lose the way he does as Head ****roach.

BOB has run a better offense than Norv since he has been in place.

Buh-bye, Norv.

Once again, we must be grateful that Mr. Kraft chose the hooded one over all other options. Teams we thought were built to last like the Colts and Chargers are in disarray while the Patriots chug along replenishing talent and weathering injuries (the 11-5 record with Matt Cassell was the best coaching/GM job of the 2000s.)

Think about the Super Bowl opponents: St. Louis, Carolina and Philadelphia - all doormats. Then think AFC challengers: Indianapolis and San Diego.

The only organizations that have maintained excellence over the past 10 years are the Packers, Ravens, the Steelers and the Patriots. What the Patriots have not done is continue to win after the coach and QB step down. It will be very interesting to see if the Kraft family can rise to the level of the Rooneys or Modells.
I don't know if you can say the Packers maintained excellence of the last 10 years. 2002-2011 saw the Packers win 2 playoffs games in 8 years before last year, and miss the playoffs 3 times in 4 years. They also were a miracle brain fart by the Giants from not even making the playoffs last year, before their surprising run the SB title.

Over the past 15 years the Patriots and Steelers are head and shoulders about every other franchise for consistency.

I don't agree with the eye for college talent at all.
At best he has an ability to draft in a way that analysts consider a great draft on draft day, and then have it turn out not so good.
He built a team by having many early picks, but his draft record is nothing special.

He was the key to drafting the great Bills teams of the 90s. Director of college scouting. Then San Diego brings in a heap of talent.

Things don't turn out well for San Diego not because of a lack of talent but because of the coaching.

Over the past 15 years the Patriots and Steelers are head and shoulders about every other franchise for consistency.

prnphotos096331-head-amp-shoulders-.jpg

Troy Polamalu agrees......

Turner is an excellent ASSISTANT coach...but as Head Coach he is a joke

He is like Wade Phillips ...keep him as a position coach but leave the main HC job to someone who is capable

Thanks A.J.

That job has Grudens name all over it.

Gruden just recently signed a contract extension with ESPN, and in doing so, I believe he personally asked for the clause that allows him to opt out for a head coaching job to be removed from his contract.

He loves being an analyst/announcer on ESPN, he doesn't want to coach anymore, having the time of his life right now.

He was the key to drafting the great Bills teams of the 90s. Director of college scouting. Then San Diego brings in a heap of talent.

Things don't turn out well for San Diego not because of a lack of talent but because of the coaching.

For those Bills teams, he was not the key. Polian and John Butler were the keys IMO.

I don't know if you can say the Packers maintained excellence of the last 10 years. 2002-2011 saw the Packers win 2 playoffs games in 8 years before last year, and miss the playoffs 3 times in 4 years. They also were a miracle brain fart by the Giants from not even making the playoffs last year, before their surprising run the SB title.

The Packers have won 10 or more for 8 of the past 11 years. That's pretty consistent. The Pats and Steelers did not have the drop off below .500 that Packers did a couple of those years, but I am impressed with the way the Packers moved on from Favre to Rodgers.

I do not put as much stock in the playoff records as many do around here. The post-season is so much about injuries after a 16-game season and specific match-ups. Consistent excellence is measured by consecutive double digit win seasons and division titles.

The Patriots haven't won a playoff game in 4 years but have been an AFC contender every year since including the year that Brady got hurt and they missed the post-season on a tie-breaker.

Last edited:
I still hold Rivers in high regard. He doesn't have the weapons this year, IMO. Matthews looks like a good, young runner but needs to mature. Their O-Line is brutal. Gates is an old 31.

I agree with the comment about the defense. It's not even close to what it was a few years ago.

The need a reboot.
By doesn't have the weapons are you referring to;

1. Vincent Jackson - A grade receiver.
2. Malcom Floyd - complimentary big play receiver.
3. Vincent Brown - developing receiver showing big time NFL ability.
4. Antonio Gates - despite injuries still a top 5 TE.
5. Mike Tolbert - bruiser who gets the job done.

There's no excuse for the Chargers. They are a talented side who are mentally weak.

Last edited:
Buh-bye, Norv.

Once again, we must be grateful that Mr. Kraft chose the hooded one over all other options. Teams we thought were built to last like the Colts and Chargers are in disarray while the Patriots chug along replenishing talent and weathering injuries (the 11-5 record with Matt Cassell was the best coaching/GM job of the 2000s.)

Think about the Super Bowl opponents: St. Louis, Carolina and Philadelphia - all doormats. Then think AFC challengers: Indianapolis and San Diego.

The only organizations that have maintained excellence over the past 10 years are the Packers, Ravens, the Steelers and the Patriots. What the Patriots have not done is continue to win after the coach and QB step down. It will be very interesting to see if the Kraft family can rise to the level of the Rooneys or Modells.

Good points overall. But you went off the rails when you suggested that the Modells had demonstrated some sort of blueprint for sustained excellence.

That too.

Patriots are the class of the decade. Steelers are runner-up for class of the decade, and also were the elite team of a whole other era several decades ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back