PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports: Montana, Bradshaw skip SB XL over $$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screw those guys. Good thing Brady and/or Branch didn't do the same thing, that would have sucked.

Its an event the NFL gets a lot of money from. I don't see why ex-players are bad for being unwilling to donate their image to a profitable venture. If you choose to appear for $1000 even though you're worth more that's your business; but I can't blame someone for wanting the going rate when the NFL's making a bundle.

wow

I always had a great respect for joe cool! However if this is true, it's really sad--i mean a $100k to walk out onto the field (and possibly flip the coin) is just stupid. Joe must really be hurting for money!

mtbykr said:
I always had a great respect for joe cool! However if this is true, it's really sad--i mean a $100k to walk out onto the field (and possibly flip the coin) is just stupid. Joe must really be hurting for money!

He's not hurting at all. He apparently didn't want to attend, so he put the money amount so high that he knew the NFL wouldn't pay it. He probably would have been better off flat out saying no, however, image-wise.

sdaniels7114 said:
Its an event the NFL gets a lot of money from. I don't see why ex-players are bad for being unwilling to donate their image to a profitable venture. If you choose to appear for $1000 even though you're worth more that's your business; but I can't blame someone for wanting the going rate when the NFL's making a bundle.

Evidently you don't understand some basics.

Montana and Bradshaw made their fortunes off of that "profitable venture". They didn't make it externally. You would have had a valid point if you were defending someone like the Rolling Stones who don't owe their financial lives to the brilliance of the NFL marketing offices.

If Bradshaw and Montana played brilliantly for some Lacrosse league, they would never be living off the gravy like they are now.

They owe a helluva lot to the NFL and they showed their true colors.

re:

I read that Joe didn't want to miss his son's basketball game.

It's possible he'd rather be with his family than miss his son's game just to be recognized for 20 seconds on TV.

He probably threw out a really high asking price because he didn't want to do it.

maverick4 said:
I read that Joe didn't want to miss his son's basketball game.

It's possible he'd rather be with his family than miss his son's game just to be recognized for 20 seconds on TV.

He probably threw out a really high asking price because he didn't want to do it.

He was in Detroit the entire week. He is getting blasted here as well. He did several speeches, all at corporate locations. He was pimping some medical product he endorses, and would have a doctor introduce him, lob him softballs for jokes, and then pimp the product and bolt. He would ignore people asking for autographs. I saw him at the Renaissance Center on Friday, and am glad I didn't try and get a photo.

shmessy said:
Evidently you don't understand some basics.

Montana and Bradshaw made their fortunes off of that "profitable venture". They didn't make it externally. You would have had a valid point if you were defending someone like the Rolling Stones who don't owe their financial lives to the brilliance of the NFL marketing offices.

If Bradshaw and Montana played brilliantly for some Lacrosse league, they would never be living off the gravy like they are now.

They owe a helluva lot to the NFL and they showed their true colors.

Bradshaw wanted to be with his family....

"Bradshaw, who told league officials that he wanted to be with his family, also took issue with the fees, the Chronicle reported. Bradshaw, through a representative, denied the Chronicle's report that there was a dispute over money."

Montana is the one that wanted the $100k. BTW, when Bradshaw played players weren't making the coin they are now. He has probably made a lot more from FOX after football.

I'm beginning to question whether or not comparisons between Brady and Montana should be looked at as favorably

Clearly, when it comes to character, Brady is head and shoulders above Montana (who is demanding $100,000 from Head and Shoulders for that reference)

It's too bad. It would have been cool to see Tommy with his idol, Montana.

Bill's Girl said:
It's too bad. It would have been cool to see Tommy with his idol, Montana.

I think Brady is still somewhat pi**ed at the 49ers for letting him go in the sixth round when he was right under their noses in San Mateo. No reason he'd feel the same way about Joe, though.

workhorse said:
Montana is the one that wanted the $100k. BTW, when Bradshaw played players weren't making the coin they are now. He has probably made a lot more from FOX after football.

Not to mention the fact that Terry's football money was long gone on his mutiple divorces! :rolleyes:

As I understand, Montana has a marketing contract with set prices for appearances. Bradshaw likely does also.

Are you guys really saying that the NFL has the right to have any of its ex-players appear anytime that they want without compensation?

What these guys do for a living now is to appear in public.

-------------------

In any case, if Montana has a beef with the league, should he be forced to come. Why? Because the NFL decided that they want the past 39 MVP's? Will they want all the winning QB's next year, and the winning kicker the next?

REPEAT AFTER ME
This is a business. The current owners of the NFL are making plenty of money. The players are making plenty of money.

If y'all want to get on your high horses, how about getting the owners to spend more on the retired players.

mgteich said:
As I understand, Montana has a marketing contract with set prices for appearances. Bradshaw likely does also.

Are you guys really saying that the NFL has the right to have any of its ex-players appear anytime that they want without compensation?

What these guys do for a living now is to appear in public.

-------------------

In any case, if Montana has a beef with the league, should he be forced to come. Why? Because the NFL decided that they want the past 39 MVP's? Will they want all the winning QB's next year, and the winning kicker the next?

REPEAT AFTER ME
This is a business. The current owners of the NFL are making plenty of money. The players are making plenty of money.

If y'all want to get on your high horses, how about getting the owners to spend more on the retired players.

And it's also just a game; a glorified game that has given the Montana family financial stability for decades to come.

WTF is wrong with this country whenever someone demands a hundred grand just to walk out onto a field and flip a goddamn coin?

workhorse said:
Bradshaw wanted to be with his family....

"Bradshaw, who told league officials that he wanted to be with his family, also took issue with the fees, the Chronicle reported. Bradshaw, through a representative, denied the Chronicle's report that there was a dispute over money."

Re: Bradshaw - Question: What LEAGUE does he cover for Fox?????????

Where does his gravy come from??????

I find it hilarious that you believe his career at Fox has nothing to do with the NFL and its market share. When you say He "made a lot more from Fox after football" you miss the fact that he is making that sum FROM football. Last time I checked, Bradshaw was NOT a political commentator or a meteorologist for Fox.

He's making a helluva lot off the NFL and it's brilliant marketing. Foo on him, too.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm Joe Montana and I endorse this product!

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/nfl/joe-montana-needs-the-cash-money-152993.php

joemontanalotrel.jpg

Joe Montana Needs The Cash Money

Last week, we told you about how sad we were [link = http://www.deadspin.com/sports/nfl/montana-honors-his-corporate-obligations-152306.php] for Joe Montana that he was seemingly willing to hawk any product that would pay him. But now we don’t think it’s a dignity thing; we’re now geniunely concerned if Montana is having money problems.

As most of you have probably seen already, Montana reportedly turned down the opportunity to be with other Super Bowl MVPs last night because the league wouldn’t meet his $100,000 asking price for an appearance fee. Terry Bradshaw also didn’t show up, though we have a feeling that had something to do with Kathy Bates.

We’re not sure what’s going on with Montana, but clearly something’s up. For years, we thought Montana’s hesitance to join the TV gaggle of talking heads was something admirable, maybe a rare desire for a human being to spend at least a wee bit of time out of the public eye. But now we’re thinking that maybe he just didn’t want to get paid for actually doing work; he wanted to get paid simply to appear. And now that he’s back around so much, we’re wondering if anyone will pay him to disappear, again.

[http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/02/06/SPG9QH3GD91.DTL]

Any chance Montana was sitting behind the goalpost when Flutie did his drop kick?

JoeSixPat said:
Any chance Montana was sitting behind the goalpost when Flutie did his drop kick?
:rofl: it took me a minute. :D

Brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back