Welcome to PatsFans.com

Reporter, outspoken editor of weekly newspaper shot to death

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

From what I've read, he was known for his writing on black rights and the rights of the homeless. (Also, just a few months ago another prominent liberal was murdered in the northwest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Webb.) Terrorists?

http://www.komotv.com/news/national/8877842.html

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) - The outspoken new editor of the Oakland Post was shot to death Thursday near a downtown courthouse in what police believe was a deliberate hit.

Chauncey Bailey, who had been a reporter for The Oakland Tribune before moving to the Post in June, was killed around 7:30 a.m., Oakland Police spokesman Roland Holmgren said. He said witnesses told police that a single gunman had shot Bailey and then fled.

Police had no motive for the killing but said it did not appear to be random. Holmgren said investigators would look into any possible connections with Bailey's work.

"I've spoken with him several times," Holmgren said. "I know him as being a somewhat outspoken type individual, assertive in his journalistic approach when trying to get at matters at hand."
  2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

perhaps if he was armed, himself, he would have thwarted this criminal... :rolleyes:
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

My Jersey:

Now your talking Press, if the bad guy carrys them (guns) then the good guy should start carrying them, if they won't enforce the gun laws they already have then every man for himself.
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

actually... see the rolling eyes there Harry? that means sarcasm... if the man had a gun, he'd still be dead... it was a cowardly hit and the man never saw it coming...
  5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

My Jersey:

I thought it was to good to be true, didn't notice the eyes :rolleyes:
  6. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Way to use this guy's tragedy to take a cheap political slap. :rolleyes:

Personally, my thoughts and prayers go out to his family. What a terrible and sad crime, no matter what this guy's "assertive in his journalistic approach" was.
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

actually... this is the political forum, no? ... or should some threads be recused from political undertones? you know, like how your allies trashed RW's vacation thread... you had no problem with that, huh?

you're right... my bad... different when you do it...
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  8. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Oh my bad. It's now okay to start taking cheap shots at the expense of the dead guy, sorry :rolleyes: .

and FWIW, I don't beleive I participated in that thread, so its a touch unfair to direct comment my way, doncha think?
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

They made arrests in this case, apparently it was tied to a black muslim group he was investigating...

http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...4,1,1130537.story?coll=la-headlines-frontpage

OAKLAND — Police investigating the execution-style killing of a journalist raided a bakery run by a Black Muslim splinter group Friday and seized weapons they said linked the group to the crime.

Just before dawn, scores of officers in riot gear descended from heavily armed vehicles and stormed Your Black Muslim Bakery and three nearby residences. Seven people were arrested and numerous weapons were seized in the military-style operation.

The brazen slaying Thursday of Oakland Post Editor Chauncey Bailey has shocked Bay Area residents as well as journalists nationwide.

At a news conference Friday, police sketched a few details of the operation that they say captured Bailey's killers.

"We have scientific evidence that links the firearms to the murder of Chauncey Bailey" as well as two other recent killings, Deputy Chief Howard Jordan said the day after Bailey was shot in broad daylight while walking to work.

The masked gunman fled in a van, said a police spokesman, who described the attack as the work of a contract killer.

A lawyer for the Post, a black-owned weekly, said Friday that Bailey was working on a piece examining financial allegations against the bakery, which has filed for bankruptcy. Bailey was also working on a separate story on youth violence, but the attorney said he did not believe that the group was a focus of that story.
  10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

My Jersey:

This should be the end of this thread, "The White Mother F-ckers" didn't do it, lets get back to Bush.

Get Bush--Get Bush