PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Welker surgery scheduled for Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker has scheduled surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left knee and will undergo the operation Tuesday at Massachusetts General Hospital, according to an NFL source.

Welker sets his surgery - Extra Points - Boston.com

So, let the media estimates and 'source' chatting about Welker's date of return really begin in earnest.

4+ weeks from the injury, that's slightly earlier than the 4-6 weeks I expected.

Last edited:
3+ weeks from the injury, that's slightly earlier than the 4-6 weeks I expected.

He probably sat on the couch the whole time staring at his knee willing it to mend

and like most things it bent to the will of the Welker

He probably sat on the couch the whole time staring at his knee willing it to mend and like most things it bent to the will of the Welker
I just hope he has that HGH in his bathroom cabinet ready to help the healing process . . .

Good Luck Wes...I hope we see you on the field by Halloween, though I'll also be happy with Thanksgiving.

I hope he heals like he plays, good luck!

I hope he heals like he plays, good luck!

I don't want to be a negative nancy, but I highly doubt it. I don't doubt that Welker will put the work in to get better, but (realistically) we're probably not going to be looking at the same old Welker until later that season, if not the season after. ACL injuries to WR's like Welker (guys that depend on cutting aggressively) are bad enough as it is... nevermind an MCL tear to go along with it.

Heal quick Wes! & God-speed, we are pulling for you

According to John Tomase Welker already has an infection in his surgically repaired knee. The guy at Dunkin Donuts told him and he wanted to be the first to publish it.

Last edited:
Sounds encouraging thus far. Just praying for no infections or any of that crap

According to John Tomase Welker already has an infection in his surgically repaired knee.
Felger just reported that Welker was three months behind schedule.

:eat3: To Welker for what will hopefully be a speedy and drama free recovery!

The good news is that if Welker rehabilitates at the quicker end of what the medical journals say the recovery time for an ACL reconstruction on an NFL WR, there is a chance he will be ready to go at the start of the season no matter how slim. The most optimisitc estimates would be the first week of September return.

EDIT: Didn't see the report where it said Welker could be back as soon as 6 months (unfortunately as long as 12 months).

Last edited:
that's a pretty quick turnaround on that sprained MCL...from what I read it was 4-6 weeks for the swelling to go away at which time they would then set a surgical date for the ACL reconstruction...this is WAY ahead of schedule isn't it?

So, let the media estimates and 'source' chatting about Welker's date of return really begin in earnest.

He'll be ready by the start of the season.

That is, the 2011 season.

A QB recovering from an ACL/MCL injury by the next season is one thing - a QB generally needs to drop back and occasionally scramble.

A WR - especially a WR like Welker - depends on his speed and ability to cut sharply to get separation to excell as Welker did. I can't help but think that both his speed and agility would be so limited by trying to play this season that he'd be better off working on strengthening the knee throughout 2010 and coming back fully healthy and confident in 2011.

He'll be ready by the start of the season.

That is, the 2011 season.

A QB recovering from an ACL/MCL injury by the next season is one thing - a QB generally needs to drop back and occasionally scramble.

A WR - especially a WR like Welker - depends on his speed and ability to cut sharply to get separation to excell as Welker did. I can't help but think that both his speed and agility would be so limited by trying to play this season that he'd be better off working on strengthening the knee throughout 2010 and coming back fully healthy and confident in 2011.

Now if only we could have Wes Welker do a mind meld with Julian Edelman. . . . :)

Count me in the club that doesn't believe Welker will see the field next season. Here's hoping that 2011 isn't a lockout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes