PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REPORT: Vince Wilfork has already cleaned out his locker

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, I wasn't suggesting anything nearly that extreme. I was just contrasting him to, for example, the grudge-bearing Seymour on the one hand, and the permanently-sunny Bruschi on the other.

Second, I don't think what you said is a good match to the definition of bipolar.

Gerard Warren came to New England because Seymour couldn't recommend it highly enough. I think the whole "Seymour bears a grudge" angle is overdone. He was pissed off that the Pats traded him, but he spoke highly of the organization to others and was a team player while he was here.

ESPN Boston reports the Patriots and Vince Wilfork "are talking."

Theres couples wilfork threads so didnt know which one to post lol

Gerard Warren came to New England because Seymour couldn't recommend it highly enough. I think the whole "Seymour bears a grudge" angle is overdone. He was pissed off that the Pats traded him, but he spoke highly of the organization to others and was a team player while he was here.

Tommy Kelly came here last year on some advice from Seymour, too.

I disagree that the Patriots won't release him. If he continues to take a hardline stance on restructuring, then releasing him is precisely what the Patriots will do...

…and should do. It's time to get lean & mean on the DLine; paying an overweight, hobbled,
2-down run-stuffer $7.5M is suicide.

The way its been reported was that there were 2 events. One when Vince asked for his release, after being told he was asked to take a significant cut in pay. Then days later, after it was thought they 2 parties are talking again, he cleaned out his locker and ripped off his name tag.

Now its become clear that these 2 events happened at the same time. After being told he needed to restructure, he lost it, asked for his release and then cleaned out his locker. Now the 2 sides are talking.

Its a small distinction, but really changes where things are right now. It would have been a lot worse if Vince first asked for his release, then the 2 sides talked and THEN he came back and cleaned out his locker.

…and should do. It's time to get lean & mean on the DLine; paying an overweight, hobbled,
2-down run-stuffer $7.5M is suicide.

It is really impressive that you are getting your memes down now for the possibility the Patriots may not win it all next season. It's all Vince's fault, it's all Belichick's fault, it's always Belichick's fault....................Why do we always suck so bad.?..............Mommy......................

The way its been reported was that there were 2 events. One when Vince asked for his release, after being told he was asked to take a significant cut in pay. Then days later, after it was thought they 2 parties are talking again, he cleaned out his locker and ripped off his name tag.

Now its become clear that these 2 events happened at the same time. After being told he needed to restructure, he lost it, asked for his release and then cleaned out his locker. Now the 2 sides are talking.

Its a small distinction, but really changes where things are right now. It would have been a lot worse if Vince first asked for his release, then the 2 sides talked and THEN he came back and cleaned out his locker.
Correct, some of the wording floating around about this made it out to be far worse than what actually transpired. I sure hope they can work things out now that some time has passed between those events.

I'm not so sure this is a good sign for the Patriots. I don't like Kraft ever getting involved as the one stipulation he had with Belichick is that Belichick calls the football shots, and if there is one thing that would cause Belichick to say "screw it" it is Kraft making deals for him and using cap space against his wishes. I always thought Kraft's best move as an owner was trading in his owners ego for the best football mind, period., and letting him do his job without interference, otherwise we could be fans of the New England Cowboys. As much as I want them to strike a deal with Wilfork it has to be the deal Belichick sees as in the best interests of the team because that is what he was hired to do, make the decisions that are in the best interest of the team. Love Vince, want him back, but I don't want the Kraft's making roster choices, especially ones that have significant money tied up in them.

I'm not so sure this is a good sign for the Patriots. I don't like Kraft ever getting involved as the one stipulation he had with Belichick is that Belichick calls the football shots, and if there is one thing that would cause Belichick to say "screw it" it is Kraft making deals for him and using cap space against his wishes. I always thought Kraft's best move as an owner was trading in his owners ego for the best football mind, period., and letting him do his job without interference, otherwise we could be fans of the New England Cowboys. As much as I want them to strike a deal with Wilfork it has to be the deal Belichick sees as in the best interests of the team because that is what he was hired to do, make the decisions that are in the best interest of the team. Love Vince, want him back, but I don't want the Kraft's making roster choices, especially ones that have significant money tied up in them.

I think it is a good sign. When Auerbach was negotiating with Bird, he stepped aside after an impasse and the owner stepped in. Not much changed, but sometimes both sides get backed into a corner.

Let's say Wilfork knows he needs to take a cut, but he's pissed and (obviously) kind of lost it with the release request. BB, or whoever is doing the contract can't just keep coming up with variations of the same thing. Kraft comes in, gives a little TLC and let's Vince come to him with a concession. Maybe make it look like he didn't back down, with reachable incentives. Basically, the original negotiator doesn't have to back down, Vince doesn't either, it's a respect thing from the owner. It's a great last resort for your exceptional players who just want a little respect.

Watching "A Football Life: Bill Belichick" again last week reminded me that there's absolutely no way in all of hell that Bob Kraft is going to call any personnel shots on Belichick's team, as much as he may appear to pretend to know what the hell is going on.

I think if anything, it's probably well known that they would like Wilfork on the team next year, judging by the deal that was offered to him. I highly doubt that Kraft would publicly open up his mouth if it were something that Belichick wasn't on board with. In the end, this is Belichick's team and his shot calling.

If worst comes to worst, they can at least save face to the fans when getting rid of a fan favorite like Vince Wilfork. I doubt anyone wants to look cold/callous, just like Welker's situation.

Just my opinion of course.

They need to cut this guy already. Getting ridiculous.

Watching "A Football Life: Bill Belichick" again last week reminded me that there's absolutely no way in all of hell that Bob Kraft is going to call any personnel shots on Belichick's team, as much as he may appear to pretend to know what the hell is going on.

I think if anything, it's probably well known that they would like Wilfork on the team next year, judging by the deal that was offered to him. I highly doubt that Kraft would publicly open up his mouth if it were something that Belichick wasn't on board with. In the end, this is Belichick's team and his shot calling.

If worst comes to worst, they can at least save face to the fans when getting rid of a fan favorite like Vince Wilfork. I doubt anyone wants to look cold/callous, just like Welker's situation.

Just my opinion of course.

I'd like to believe that.

I have a hard time reconciling Kraft's similar nicey nice talk about Welker with the apparent antipathy and disinterest BB seemingly had in re-signing him.

I'm sorry, we're not even close to ridiculous territory here, IMO.

A show of temper behind closed doors that we only know about because of a leak is nothing.

In today's age of Tweets and 24/7 media access and compared to how bad other restructuring negotiations have gotten, this is at worst a hiccup.

I'm beginning to think we'll just keep Vince at his current contract. Outside of Jared Allen there's nobody left worth spending a bunch of money on. I don't want to cut Vince just to roll over cap room into next year.

EXCEPT now that there is report that this whole locker cleaning incident wasn't a recent event. Sounds like it happened back when Wilfork asked to be cut. Talk about having the media sit on a story so they can increase the drama at a later date.

I'm beginning to think we'll just keep Vince at his current contract. Outside of Jared Allen there's nobody left worth spending a bunch of money on. I don't want to cut Vince just to roll over cap room into next year.

Allen signed with the Bears - 4/32, 15.5 guaranteed.

Allen signed with the Bears - 4/32, 15.5 guaranteed.

I was really happy to see him go to Chicago, i did not want him in Denver or seattle, and given that he went for the money over the chance to win a Super Bowl I'm glad he didn't come here. i don't blame players for taking the best offer but when you have made as much as he has without a ring you would think that getting one would become something of a priority, and although the Bears are a decent team i don't think they are winning a Lomabardi anytime soon. Cash and playing time were clearly his priorities, which is fine, but he wouldn't haven't gotten as much of either in NE and most likely would have been unhappy with that.

I think it is a good sign. When Auerbach was negotiating with Bird, he stepped aside after an impasse and the owner stepped in. Not much changed, but sometimes both sides get backed into a corner.

Let's say Wilfork knows he needs to take a cut, but he's pissed and (obviously) kind of lost it with the release request. BB, or whoever is doing the contract can't just keep coming up with variations of the same thing. Kraft comes in, gives a little TLC and let's Vince come to him with a concession. Maybe make it look like he didn't back down, with reachable incentives. Basically, the original negotiator doesn't have to back down, Vince doesn't either, it's a respect thing from the owner. It's a great last resort for your exceptional players who just want a little respect.

I think Wilfork wants the respect but he wants the money more, my concern is Kraft mediating it and trying to get Belichick to agree to spend more on him than he believes he should. As long as he isn't crossing that line it's not a big deal, if he does it could become a problem.

I'd like to believe that.

I have a hard time reconciling Kraft's similar nicey nice talk about Welker with the apparent antipathy and disinterest BB seemingly had in re-signing him.

I thought that I read that Bill was on the phone with The Receiver the very day that he signed
with the Donkeys? Or was that the very day that Bill foolishly signed Onthemendola?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes