PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Tom Brady signs 3-year extension with Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don_the_patfan

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Breaking: Brady restructures? per King

@SI_PeterKing: Tom Brady signs a contract that should make him a Patriot for life. Will have full details to you very shortly.

More cap room ladies and gents.

King: Brady signs contract to make him "Patriot for life"

Just reported. Waiting on details.

Tom Brady signs a contract that should make him a Patriot for life. Will have full details to you very shortly.

Brady, in essence, has signed for three more seasons at less than half the going rate for star QBs--so the Patriots can spend on others.

The contract will run through the 2017 season. Brady will be 40 then: http://bit.ly/15KN1VQ

Re: Breaking: Brady restructures? per King

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing

Brady, in essence, has signed for three more seasons at less than half the going rate for star QBs--so the Patriots can spend on others.

There you go cant wait for details but sounds good.

Edit: Details

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130225/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-contract/

2013: $13.8 million.
2014: $14.8 million.
2015: $13 million.
2016: $14 million.
2017: $15 million

Tom Brady, New England Patriots agree on three-year extension - NFL - Peter King - SI.com

Though it kills me that Peter king of all people is the person that got the scoop.

Amazingly, according to the source, the deal is for an eye-poppingly conservative $27 million, which is less than half his worth by any measure.

The extension will pay Brady a $3 million signing bonus immediately, in addition to salaries of $7 million in 2015, $8 million in 2016 and $9 million in 2017. Brady told Sports Illustrated five years ago he wanted to play until he was 40, at least, and this will accomplish that. He turns 40 on Aug. 3, 2017.

The upshot of the deal is to give the Patriots massive cap relief in a flat-cap era. He was due to count on the New England salary cap $43.6 million in 2013 and 2014. Now, his cap numbers will add up to $28.6 million in the next two years, a savings of $15 million in cap dollars at a time the Patriots have free agents they want to sign to help keep the team atop the AFC East, which they have dominated since Brady took over at quarterback in 2001.

After the Patriots move money around to lessen the blow of Brady's money in a flat-cap era -- the NFL's salary cap is expected to be virtually the same in the next two years as it was last season, about $121 million a year -- here will be Brady's cap numbers over the next five seasons, according to a source with knowledge of the contract:

2013: $13.8 million.
2014: $14.8 million.
2015: $13 million.
2016: $14 million.
2017: $15 million.

Last edited:
Re: King: Brady signs contract to make him "Patriot for life"

From King Twitter

Jeff Howe‏@jeffphowe

Tom Brady and the Patriots have agreed to a three-year, $27 million contract extension, according to Sports Illustrated.

Peter King‏@SI_PeterKing

Re: Breaking: Brady restructures? per King

Saves us 7 million in cap space this year and next year.

Wow.

Big free agency period coming up.

EDIT:
don beat me to it.

Also LOL. Jets, Steelers, Ravens, Giants all in cap hell. Even the Packers are moderately strapped and Niners have a ton of big contracts coming up.

Besides Bengals, Patriots are I'm pretty sure the only playoff team with cap space.

I wonder if this was done with the nod "I'm giving you space, you have to use it it on Welker".

EDIT2:
Just looking at that... We're getting MVP, top 3 calibre QB for 5 more years for about 14 million per year.
Meanwhile Joe Flacco is asking for 7 years 140 million. LOL

Goes through 2017, when Brady is 40. Per King.

3 year 27 mill for a guy like brady? YES PLEASE How much $$ does that free up this year?

Looks like I found my new signature text; from king:

For the second time in his illustrious career, Brady is doing something players in this day and age simply do not do: As he did in 2005, Brady, a league source told SI.com, is signing a contract with New England that will pay him significantly less money than the market will bear, in large part to help the Patriots stay competitive for the next five seasons.

Read More: Tom Brady, New England Patriots agree on three-year extension - NFL - Peter King - SI.com

Jeff Howe‏@jeffphowe

Tom Brady and the Patriots have agreed to a three-year, $27 million contract extension, according to Sports Illustrated.

Peter King‏@SI_PeterKing

If accurate, this just amps up the love and The Legend. QB1 may have just helped pave the way to make sure Wes (and others) remain with the team long-term, and had the perspective to allow BB & Co. to build up the roster more evenly for the final run(s). God bless him.

And, Christ, how QUIET were they about this????

3 year 27 mill for a guy like brady? YES PLEASE How much $$ does that free up this year?

Someone in one of the other thread has $7M this year AND next.

The things this guy does for this team is incredible. A true example of putting team above others.

Now hopefully he does remain a "Patriot for life" and doesn't end up like Favre or Manning.

Someone in one of the other thread has $7M this year AND next.

he was due 22 mill this year and next

Brady was scheduled to have a cap figure of $21.8 million this year, so that represents a cap savings of $8 million for the 2013 season.

I'm having a Jack Edwards moment. Anyone else?

an extra 7 mill can go a long way

I'm having a Jack Edwards moment. Anyone else?

I think everyone with the exception of the closet Jets fan who gave this thread one star.

Suddenly the rumored Welker contract doesn't hurt those who were opposed to it so much, I'm assuming.

Holy smokes.

I don't know what's better news, Tom Brady as a Patriot until he's 40, or the huge hometown discount he's handing the team.

Kudos for MoLewisRocks for basically calling this for some time now...well done, Mo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye