PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Tim Tebow asked out of Wildcat because he was skipped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim Tebow isn't Reggie White. He's done 1 focus on the family commercial and that's it. Where is this active agenda pushing people keep referring to?

I swear some of you just seem to want him to be a 'fingers steepled in malevolent contemplation' level of evil Christian. When he's just ******* not. By all accounts he's a genuine good guy who means it when he bows in the endzone and doesn't do a lot of self-aggrandizing things. He just gets blamed for all of the attention he gets since he's been polarizing fans for a while now.

I'm not going to defend him as a QB, I think he's got something intangible that overrides his obvious mechanical issues. But as a person the people who persist in wanting to paint him as a Pharisee seem to have an agenda that doesn't mesh with reality.

And again - I'm not a Christian.

If you go back and read this post you'll see I'm one of his biggest fans. I was just speculating on possible reason why he wouldn't pick the Jaguars if he indeed had that choice.

But we also have to be honest that he's also made no secret he does want to be a Christian role model and pushes his charity foundations, etc, whenever he gets the chance. Personally I have no problem with it. Other athletes push their brands or clothing lines or whatever, so I don't see a problem with Tebow doing this as well.

And personally, I actually defend him as a QB, not so much as a person cause the truth is I don't really know him. The only issue I ever had with him is making a statement about football not being the most important thing in his life after a loss. That's not going to win him a whole lot of support from other players, and even if true, it's better left unsaid. Other than that I have never had a problem with his religion, and usually I don't care for religion. But his display of faith has never bothered me one bit.

Players like Bruschi put family before football yet were exemplary dedicated football players without losing support from other players.

I'll pick the Jets over Tebow in the deception department 100 times out of 100.

I like how the Jets organization is a bastion of truth and honesty when it is convenient for an argument.

If Tebow denied it and nobody is officially confirming or disputing that - then why would you put any stock in rumors or allegations from an organization that has more leaks and players dying to spout nonsense than any in the NFL?
Personally, I think both parties are as stupid as each other.

Personally, I think both parties are as stupid as each other.

Glib and without any basis as to why you think Tebow's word is as valueless as 'sources from the Jets'.

I get that people think Tim Tebow is a bad QB. I really get it. But why does he also have to be a bad person?

6a00d83451cd8169e20167666aae17970b-320wi

Glib and without any basis as to why you think Tebow's word is as valueless as 'sources from the Jets'.

I get that people think Tim Tebow is a bad QB. I really get it. But why does he also have to be a bad person?
Who said he's a bad person? You're inventing that on your own.

I happen to think that Tebow is an attention seeker that can't handle being out of the limelight. That doesn't make him a bad person in my eyes.

Last edited:
In my opinion there is just a good a chance this story is a lie as it is the truth....and it should be treated as such

Good point.

But it's a damning story. If he doesn't recognize that clearly enough to deny it vehemently ... well, I'll let you fill in the rest.

I would agree that Tebow would deserve to come under some criticism IF he told Rex he wouldn't play in the Wildcat. IF....and that's a big if. He has since come out and denied he ever did it. There is no one coming out to confirm the allegation.

.....And that's all it is to this point. How many times have we seen uncorroborated statements later found out to be made up stories. This is what piss me off royally. Not one word of the story has been confirmed, yet people here are arguing positions as if it actually happened!

I'm certainly not a Tebowite. I'm not ever going to get an invite to "his" heaven. I don't respect his play at QB. However I do respect him as a tough, high effort football player, who deserved better than what he's gotten from the Jets. ....And this hatchet job, going out the door, should be a lesson for any quality FA what to expect if they got there. For now the Jets are NEVER going to be a place any FA with options is going to want to go. The only FA's they will get are those who need jobs, or those they vastly over pay.

Oh, he did deny it? That's something, at least.

Perhaps there's a little bit of a smoldering ember under the smoke, but not a full-fledged fire. E.g., maybe he pouted about his role without flat-out refusing, leading the coaches to look elsewhere to fill the role. That would fit the evidence I know of, and it would NOT be enough to damn him as an unprofessional jerk.

I just don't see what Tebow's religion has to do with this at all.

Devout Christians lie through their teeth all the time, and ditto every other religion. Does anybody think Mitt Romney ran for president without a lot of lies? Does anybody doubt the sincerity of his religious belief? And (just coincidence that my examples are both Mormon), does anybody think Danny Ainge is consistently truthful with the public? (Hint: He's said there are times his job requires him to lie.)

If Tim Tebow were secretly banging Tara Reid, that WOULD be hypocrisy. But lying about football matters is just ... standard procedure.

Last edited:
I'm not ever going to get an invite to "his" heaven. .

I'll spare you the Apologetics discussion (being a sports fan website and all), but you do have an open invitation to heaven, Brother Ken. There are usually even a few "crazy" people at football games to remind you. ;)

Tebow%20Rainbow%20Man.jpg

So just to clarify it...

TEBOW: I Wasn't Asking Out of Anything

On if he told Coach Ryan he would not run the Wildcat last week…

No sir, I didn’t tell them that. I went in there on Tuesday and had a man-to-man conversation with Coach Ryan. The conversation was great. I simply asked to get an opportunity to play quarterback. That was my passion and I did tell him I was frustrated with the Wildcat, the success we were having, some of the stuff we were doing. I was definitely disappointed and frustrated, and I let him know that, the same that I did Wednesday to you guys. I just asked for an opportunity to play quarterback. He definitely understood that.

And then Friday I went up to him again and reiterated the fact that I would do anything for this team like I’ve done all year, from punt pro to hands team, cutting defensive ends to catching passes, and he appreciated that and he understood. We have a great relationship still. He knows that I’d do anything to help this team.

TEBOW: I Wasn't Asking Out of Anything

So just to clarify it...

Just to clarify for you, that was him using carefully placed words to pretend it didn't happen. Friday's conversation would be pointless if he hadn't already said he wouldn't play. Why would he have to do that if that wasn't the case?

"And then Friday I went up to him again and reiterated the fact that I would do anything for this team like I’ve done all year."

So just to clarify it...

Seems like the type of conversation a player and coach might have in, say, August. Maybe September or early October. Before the final game of a lost season seems kind of pointless.

Just to clarify for you, that was him using carefully placed words to pretend it didn't happen. Friday's conversation would be pointless if he hadn't already said he wouldn't play. Why would he have to do that if that wasn't the case?

"And then Friday I went up to him again and reiterated the fact that I would do anything for this team like I’ve done all year."

There is nothing carefully placed about it man. He denied it twice. And it's posted on Jets.com. So if they are lying, they're lying as an organization.

On if saying he was frustrated was the same as saying he did not want to run the Wildcat…
No sir, I never said I don’t want to do anything or I won’t do anything. That wasn’t the talk at all. He knows that and everyone on the team knows that. I would never not do something if I was asked. I think that’s what’s disappointing in the whole situation, people saying, “Oh, you quit,” or “You didn’t do this.” That was not it at all. It was just asking to get an opportunity to play the position I love, which is quarterback. It wasn’t me asking out of anything.

On if he was disappointed he was not named the starting quarterback last week…
I was definitely disappointed, there’s no doubt about that, I can’t lie about that. I was definitely disappointed and wanted an opportunity to play quarterback, wanted an opportunity to run more out of the Wildcat, so I was disappointed and he knew that. He understood that frustration and we talked about it for a while and had a great conversation. He knew that I was disappointed.
On if he ran any of the Wildcat in practice last week…
I did a little bit. Kerley did more of it, though.
http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/art...Anything/c4a471ba-6b8f-4ab4-bf02-8e4ab5b329e5

Last edited:

So just to be clear - you are basically saying you will side with 'sources from the Jets' over a guy flat out denying something.

What with the Jets being one of the most reputable teams in football I totally get it.

Per the entire football universe on Twitter, Rex announces Sanchez starting for injured McElroy (concussion).

Timmy, they're just not that into you.

Last edited:
So just to be clear - you are basically saying you will side with 'sources from the Jets' over a guy flat out denying something.

What with the Jets being one of the most reputable teams in football I totally get it.

I'm saying I don't think Tebow is being truthful about the whole situation. Are we supposed to believe this story came out of nowhere for no reason? He took a whole week to deny it after trying to dance around the issue, it seemed to me like he basically admitted to it without admitting to it and then sort of denied it. There's no more image conscious person in the NFL than Tebow and I get the feeling that he not exactly being upfront about what really happened. Don't kid yourself that this kid is beyond reproach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back