PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Tennessee Titans LB Akeem Ayers traded to the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collins needs to be replaced as a 'starter'. He needs to be a sub package only player. Right now, even with Ayers, the Patriots have 1 starting caliber linebacker, and he'll probably be moving out of position. I know that it's water over the dam at this point, but the loss of Spikes is really showing itself now.

Jamie was terrible against the Jets, but he was on the field for every snap of NE's two best defensive performances, so it is reasonable to believe he can be a solid performer when not playing MLB.

Jamie was terrible against the Jets, but he was on the field for every snap of NE's two best defensive performances, so it is reasonable to believe he can be a solid performer when not playing MLB.

He can't defend the run worth a damn. He isn't a starting caliber LB.

No, it's not. He underwent surgery on both knees in the offseason. It's quite possible that it the issue.

If it is, we will find out in the next 24 hours.

If it is, we will find out in the next 24 hours.

Not necessarily. We may not know until he gets on the field. He may be good enough for NE to gamble on, given the cost, yet not worth Tennessee's time right now.

I think we got ahead of ourselves on Collin's development because of his performance in the playoffs. He's still missing the skills that take time to develop when you're a player transitioning from DE to LB. Heck, it even took Bruschi three years to figure it out. It could take even longer for Collins, who was also a DB in college.

Yes, he was miscast as the MLB, particularly against a run first team like the Jets. But that doesn't mean his skills can't be utilized and/or improved.

Not necessarily. We may not know until he gets on the field. He may be good enough for NE to gamble on, given the cost, yet not worth Tennessee's time right now.

I'm OK with the gamble. Sixth, Seventh. Toe-may-toe, tuh-mah-toe.

I don't think there are very many LBs in the league that have the combination of:

1) Able to help us out
2) Available for a cheap trade
3) Still on an affordable rookie deal

Should be cheap as he's a FA after this season. Had a really good year in 2012 but the change in defenses wasn't kind to him.

This screams that Hightower is moving to Mike in a 43 defense. Ayers is a ridiculously explosive player off the edge and pretty good at disengaging blocks. He'd been a highly productive player for them before the scheme change.
I wouldnt be very excited considering he is coming off surgery on both knees and has not played a down of defense on a bad team all year.

Yes, he was miscast as the MLB, particularly against a run first team like the Jets. But that doesn't mean his skills can't be utilized and/or improved.

Collins' usefulness will vary from week to week until he becomes a complete LB. But given we've sent a memo to every team in the NFL to run the ball against us, his use is less than it would normally be. I expect us to use Collins quite a bit against Denver, Indy and SD. Basically, teams that spread you out.

I'm OK with the gamble. Sixth, Seventh. Toe-may-toe, tuh-mah-toe.

I don't think there are very many LBs in the league that have the combination of:

1) Able to help us out
2) Available for a cheap trade
3) Still on an affordable rookie deal

I'm fine with the gamble. It's basically just a few pick drop (10-20, whatever) in the last 2 rounds. I was just saying that the issue in Tennessee might not be about Whisenhunt. This kid is coming off of a pair of potentially career-ending surgeries in the same offseason.

I certainly agree that he stuggles in hat on hat running fits, especially when he is playing over the guard. Having said that, I believe asking him to play inside linebacker in a 34 (especially BB's 34) is akin to asking Gronk to play right tackle. I think that a lot of the issues we're seeing can be coached up and at least mitigated by moving him out of the middle and putting more linemen in front of him.

I can't argue with your first sentence. But, in today's NFL, the second sentence doesn't necessarily follow from the first. In Collins's case, it certainly doesn't.

I can't argue with your first sentence. But, in today's NFL, the second sentence doesn't necessarily follow from the first. In Collins's case, it certainly doesn't.

There's a saying about playing defense in the NFL that goes something like this (paraphrasing):

"If you can't stop the run, you'll never have to stop the pass."

He's a coverage LB. You can quibble about whether or not a team is in base more than sub packages, but to be a true "starting" caliber LB, you've got to be able to play the run.

Collins is god awful against the run.

Well, let me narrow that down, because it's coming off more harshly than intended. Collins can run down plays that are going away from him. What he can't do is shed blockers or make tackles head on.

He's a coverage LB. You can quibble about whether or not a team is in base more than sub packages, but to be a true "starting" caliber LB, you've got to be able to play the run.

Collins is god awful against the run.

Well, let me narrow that down, because it's coming off more harshly than intended. Collins can run down plays that are going away from him. What he can't do is shed blockers or make tackles head on.

Well simple then. Just make sure he's always on the opposite side on running plays! :)

I'm fine with the gamble. It's basically just a few pick drop (10-20, whatever) in the last 2 rounds. I was just saying that the issue in Tennessee might not be about Whisenhunt. This kid is coming off of a pair of potentially career-ending surgeries in the same offseason.

This is what I was thinking. Not to be trite, but the kid has a lot of upside. Contract numbers are fine, trade numbers are fine, and if he passes the physical, then I haven't any problem with it.

My only concern is that from reading about the surgeries, he's likely just one serious injury away from retirement. But we shall see.

Just got back and saw this. Interesting move.

I've never been a huge Ayers fan. For those who don't like Jamie Collins' run support, Ayers has never been very strong in that area. He's in a contract year. I would have preferred Derrick Morgan or Da'Quan Bowers with Nink moving to MLB. But the trade cost was negligible, his cap hit is low, and he has some talent, so it's certainly a solid move with little downside. Whether he works out for the short term and/or the long term remains to be seen, but talent-wise he's certainly an upgrade over what we have, if his kneads aren't completely shot.

It will be interesting to see how the Pats use him.

For those who don't like Jamie Collins' run support

Compile a list of people who do like Collins' run support. You'll then have a list of people who's opinions you'll know better than to take seriously. He's a pass defense LB, and nothing more, right now.

I would have preferred Derrick Morgan or Da'Quan Bowers with Nink moving to MLB

Bowers was just suspended for PEDs.

I think we are mistaking the injury/surgery Ayers had with what Cruz had. If the two articles I read about his injury are accurate, then that is not the case. It makes it seem as though it was not an acute injury, but a chronic wear and tear thing. He did not have patellar tendon rupture requiring reconstruction like Cruz and possibly Mayo (have not read too much about his injury yet). He had repair on the tendons which is a much less invasive and debillitating procedure. It is not career threatening at all at this stage, but there is some research that if these athletes with this type of surgery continue that level of activity over years (5-10+) they are more likely to get rupture of the tendon eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes