PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Team-by-team salary cap space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Report: Team by Team Salary Cap space

Don't forget Jenkins, Revis, and Moore only have 4 years left on their contracts. So that will increase the amortization each year.

I'm aware of it. The question really is what are the restructing rules after 2009?

Two thoughts, beyond the obvious "I hope Brady is as healthy as today's stories suggest he is so we can trade Matt":

1) Kansas City looks like it's poised to reenter the ranks of premium franchises after a decades long hiatus. I don't think that most of us, myself included, understood the toll that Lamar Hunt's illness took on the ability of this franchise to focus for much of this decade. With Pioli, a new coach, cap room galore and one of the great traditions in the NFL behind them, this is going to be interesting.

2) The stupidity of what the Jets did by betting the farm on one season is both amazing and delightful. They'll be paying the price for a long time and be without a franchise-type QB as well. Awwwwwwwww. :woohoo:

Some of the numbers for those other teams on that list may be a bit deceiving. While Arizona has the 2nd most amount of cap space to spend, they also have the least number of players under contract. Once they re-sign all the players they want to keep, they're not going to have much of anything left over. Then there are teams like the Colts that appear to be in bad cap shape, but they also have very few players not under contract. I'm guessing there will be a lot of fans of teams around the NFL screaming for their team to spend, spend, spend based on a list like this without really understanding the whole picture.

One thing the Jets will have to worry about if they convert all the roster bonuses into signing bonuses is what if a new CBA extention stalls the increases in the cap. Yes, converting roster bonuses for guys like Pace, Jenkins, Rhodes, etc. might help this year, but what happens if a new CBA puts a freeze of cap increase or has other cap restrictions? It could gut the team as soon as next year since all of these guys have pretty high cap hits in subsequent years and converting the bonuses will add $1-2 million of cap hit each year for each guy.

My guess is that the Jets won't do nearly as much restructuring as some might think because of the uncertainty of the future. They cannot push too much money back and risk ending up in cap hell for years to come if the owners win out and get a more restrictive cap increase per year.

This is but one reason why I'm hoping the salary cap stays.

I've never understood why some Patriots fans are eager to see the salary cap go away.

Belichick would do well in picking players regardless - but having a cap that punishes teams that make bad decisions in turn helps us... i.e. why would any Patriots fan be in favor of allowing the Jets to spend another $140 million this offseason?

That being said, I think there's a very real possibility of a capless year - and I tend to agree that once its gone, bringing it back becomes less likely. Part of the reason I feel that way is because in this economy, most owners will self-regulate

But some won't - and when the economy picks up again, more won't.

The stupidity of what the Jets did by betting the farm on one season is both amazing and delightful. They'll be paying the price for a long time and be without a franchise-type QB as well. Awwwwwwwww. :woohoo:

I'll let Miguel speak to this himself, but while no one wants to be over the cap, facing those tough decisions and cuts, he often reminds us that there's many ways that the Jets and other teams can restructure - and will restructure, to get below the cap, and even bring in a top free agent if its a high enough priority.

The Jets are more limited than other teams but they're not unable to make any moves - they just need to make some decisions before doing so.

And while I don't agree with many of their personnel decisions, I can see the logic in assembling a team that you're going to stick with and allow to develop, rather than doing just a little bit in free agency each season.

Last edited:
My thought is very simple. The more restrictions there are, the better good managment does. There would no longer be any fear of cap trouble. There would be no consequences in paying a player too much. Small markets would be in even more trouble.

Kraft's business would succeed monetarily. However, it seems that some of the competitive advantage would be gone. It really does make a difference to have personnel costs capped over time.

My thought is very simple. The more restrictions there are, the better good managment does. There would no longer be any fear of cap trouble. There would be no consequences in paying a player too much. Small markets would be in even more trouble.

Kraft's business would succeed monetarily. However, it seems that some of the competitive advantage would be gone. It really does make a difference to have personnel costs capped over time.

Miguel can you explain the rules for 2009 in regards to the converting of roster bonuses to signing bonuses?

Two thoughts, beyond the obvious "I hope Brady is as healthy as today's stories suggest he is so we can trade Matt":

1) Kansas City looks like it's poised to reenter the ranks of premium franchises after a decades long hiatus. I don't think that most of us, myself included, understood the toll that Lamar Hunt's illness took on the ability of this franchise to focus for much of this decade. With Pioli, a new coach, cap room galore and one of the great traditions in the NFL behind them, this is going to be interesting.

2) The stupidity of what the Jets did by betting the farm on one season is both amazing and delightful. They'll be paying the price for a long time and be without a franchise-type QB as well. Awwwwwwwww. :woohoo:

What did the Jets do that was so stupid? Other then the $13 million salary for Favre I have no problems with any of the transactions.

One thing the Jets will have to worry about if they convert all the roster bonuses into signing bonuses is what if a new CBA extention stalls the increases in the cap. Yes, converting roster bonuses for guys like Pace, Jenkins, Rhodes, etc. might help this year, but what happens if a new CBA puts a freeze of cap increase or has other cap restrictions? It could gut the team as soon as next year since all of these guys have pretty high cap hits in subsequent years and converting the bonuses will add $1-2 million of cap hit each year for each guy.

My guess is that the Jets won't do nearly as much restructuring as some might think because of the uncertainty of the future. They cannot push too much money back and risk ending up in cap hell for years to come if the owners win out and get a more restrictive cap increase per year.

I disagree. Pace and Rhodes were always going to be restructured. No way they were each getting a $9 million roster bonus this year. Brandon Moore has to be restructed as well.

In 2010 they have about $74 million on the books. They can cut Thomas Jones, Damien Woody, kenyon Coleman and Bryan Thomas and the cap savings would far exceed the dead money. They will be a little tight against the cap this year but not enough that they can't spend money on a few free agents.

The two players that are cause for worry are Brick and Gholston since they were both high draft picks.

What did the Jets do that was so stupid? Other then the $13 million salary for Favre I have no problems with any of the transactions.

Isn't there a major penalty of draft picks if Favre is cut and signs with an NFC North team? That would be a big gamble.

Isn't there a major penalty of draft picks if Favre is cut and signs with an NFC North team? That would be a big gamble.

====================================================

Nobody really knows, but the consensus oppinion is that The Jets would loose 3 #1s if they traded him to the Bears or Vikes last season, but this season he is tradeable without penalty, or he could be cut without dead money cause the Packers had to pay his bonus(?) when they traded him to the Jets.

I disagree. Pace and Rhodes were always going to be restructured. No way they were each getting a $9 million roster bonus this year. Brandon Moore has to be restructed as well.

In 2010 they have about $74 million on the books. They can cut Thomas Jones, Damien Woody, kenyon Coleman and Bryan Thomas and the cap savings would far exceed the dead money. They will be a little tight against the cap this year but not enough that they can't spend money on a few free agents.

The two players that are cause for worry are Brick and Gholston since they were both high draft picks.

They will restructure some of the guys, but not neccessarily all of them. I never said they won't have money. I said that they probably won't negotiate as much as you think they will especially if Tannebaum is smart.

As for 2010, I see you are already reducing players from the $90 million cap hit. But if all of those players stay, the Jets only have 25 players on the 2010 roster counting for $90 million. So you are having both Ellis and Favre going this year. Which will make 23 players on the roster and about $73 million worth of cap plus probably another $7-8 million worth of dead cap money tied up from converted roster bonuses (assuming they do the restructuring you claim) bring it to about $80-81 million with 23 players on the roster. . That may not be a lot of room where you will most likely have to get new starters at the following positions over the next two years - QB, RB (Thomas Jones is getting to the age where he can break down overnight and Leon Washington is a FA after this upcoming season), WR, ILB, DE (assuming you are right about Ellis being cut), the other DE position (if you are advocating cutting Coleman and the $2.4 million savings will have to go to his replacement),

====================================================

Nobody really knows, but the consensus oppinion is that The Jets would loose 3 #1s if they traded him to the Bears or Vikes last season, but this season he is tradeable without penalty, or he could be cut without dead money cause the Packers had to pay his bonus(?) when they traded him to the Jets.

It was for the duration of his two year contract or so the speculation was. I can't see how it would be otherwise. GB payed his SB for two year contract. Shecter thought so in his columns. But no one really knows the wording of the private trade agreement contract between the Jets and Pack.:confused:

awesome information!! Thanks!!

How can Oakland afford to tag Asomugha??? They are 3 million under and the tag will be 10+milli. Maybe they can't, maybe he'll hit the open market. :D

I'm aware of it. The question really is what are the restructing rules after 2009?

From the CBA

No NFL Player Contract entered into in a Capped Year and extending into the Final League Year or
beyond may provide for an annual increase in Salary, excluding any amount attributable to a signing bonus as
defined in Section 7(b)(iv) above, of more than 30% of the Salary provided for in the Final Capped Year, per
year, either in the Final League Year or in any subsequent League Year covered by the Player Contract. For
example, without limitation on any other applicable example, a four-year Player Contract signed in the 2011
League Year, assuming that it is Capped, may not provide for an annual increase of more than 30% of the 2011
League Year Salary, excluding amounts treated as a signing bonus, in any of the three additional League Years
covered by the Contract.

I'll let Miguel speak to this himself, but while no one wants to be over the cap, facing those tough decisions and cuts, he often reminds us that there's many ways that the Jets and other teams can restructure - and will restructure, to get below the cap, and even bring in a top free agent if its a high enough priority.

The Jets are more limited than other teams but they're not unable to make any moves - they just need to make some decisions before doing so.

And while I don't agree with many of their personnel decisions, I can see the logic in assembling a team that you're going to stick with and allow to develop, rather than doing just a little bit in free agency each season.

Clearly, I grant your first two points but rather was pointing out that this is a significant headache that the Jests have to deal with before they can address the QB question. Regarding three, I'm not sure anybody puts a team together in one offseason by your definition. It's unlikely, IMO, that they will find the right pieces so quickly, but rather that they will find them over several seasons as did the Pats.

Where I'd really disagree with you is that I believe that the Jets have cooked themsleves by not addressing the QB problem, other than by a one season, Hail Mary signing of a 40 year old QB to sell PSL's. Remember that even Kurt Warner is a backup to the Cards QB of the future; whatever we might think of Leinart, the Cards have a credible if yet fully proven QB around whom to build.

13. New England -- $21m under

4.) making the $15 million in cap savings unlikely.

Miguel based on these numbers I have a question (your site estimates 18.6 versus 21 but lets call it a wash and ps. my money says you are more accurate than Scout.com...)

If Cassel is franchised they have between $4 - $6M available in liquid cap currency.

Do you think they will franchise Cassel? Is the potential of two high draft picks worth the risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes