PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: surgery for Gronk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Early 40s, fairly healthy, 5'9" and 170 lbs. It may have happened from something like carrying the Xmas tree, lifting the dog into the back of the car, or simply twisting in an odd direction. I'm certainly not doing anything terribly strenuous. Sometimes, the people with the office jobs who are sitting for longer periods can have just as much if not more issues, as those who are doing heavy labor.

It could even be a faulty mattress. Sometimes, your body just naturally starts to wear down in different ways. I certainly noticed a big difference from my 30s entering my 40s.

Yeah I'm 42 and I'm already noticing things and it ain't fun LOL. Maybe I should start doing some yoga with my wife. I've seen Facebook friends who have had back surgery and they still aren't right. Getting old is a *****.

Is that Gronk's dad in the Walker video? He sounds like a cool ****, I can see where Gronk gets it from.

I don't expect that he will be. As long as there's any reasonable chance he can play within 2 months, you leave him on the roster. Why wouldn't you? Even a 10% chance that he can play at 80% in the Super Bowl is more valuable to this team than anything the 53rd guy has to offer. If Gronk's IRed, IMO that means they're pretty much certain he can't recover in time to play in a potential Super Bowl appearance.

I know some people in the media read yesterday's statement as the Pats indicating they'd IR Gronk today. I read it as them cautioning everyone not to read too much into it when they don't IR Gronk. It doesn't mean they expect him back, and it doesn't mean he's some sort of fragile wuss or not-team-player if they make the AFCCG or Super Bowl and he can't play. It means exactly what they said: he probably won't be healthy enough to play at any point this season, but they're going to hold out for the possibility as long as there's any possibility to hold out for, because he's just that important.

Belichick's a smart guy, he knows exactly how this media circus is going to unfold. By not placing Gronk on IR, everyone will assume the Pats expect him back at some point this year. A couple months from now, the Pats host some mediocre team in the divisional round and more likely than not we'll knock them off and advance. All of a sudden, the Pats are in the AFCCG yet again, we're facing a formidable opponent, and Gronk's 7 weeks into what's been billed as an 8 week recovery. Some pants-on-head idiot in the media will dish up the following hot take:
"Ben Roethlisberger always comes back early - if Gronk was really tough and a team player he'd be on the field this Sunday". Friday rolls around, he's ruled out again, and everyone turns on him. Starts questioning if he's a team player, if there's conflict between him and the Patriots staff, if they disagree on whether he's ready to go, etc. etc.

Next, say they win the AFCCG. Now everyone's convinced he's definitely got to play in the Super Bowl. Why not IR him 2 months ago otherwise? The national and local media breathlessly report on Gronk's status, and in the overwhelmingly likely event that he's just not ready to play, he absorbs most of the fallout. People suddenly start questioning his conditioning and his rehab and his desire to help the team. Chris Mortensen invents an 'inside source' claiming that he reinjured his back doing keg stands. Stephen A. Smith claims he's getting a free pass because he's white. Some random Jet/Bill/Raven claims Gronk is a ***** and isn't that good anyway. At some point, Curran/Reiss have to try to inject some sanity into this giant, hysterical circlejerk, and now that's made easier because they can point to a statement two ****ing months ago explaining that nobody expected or even reasonably hoped for him to make it back by February.

That's absolutely what will happen if the Pats make a deep playoff run and Gronk has a standard recovery timeline. And it's really, really unfair to Gronk. So that's what yesterday's statement goes back to: Gronk isn't heading to IR--at least not yet--but that doesn't mean we should get it in our heads that he'll be ready. The chances are slim enough that that's an unfair expectation to place on him. If he was damn near anyone else, the Pats would just IR him today and be done with it. But since it's Gronk they're holding out some faint hope, which should not under any circumstances be confused with expectation.

I'm going to bookmark this post, because if the Pats make the AFCCG and even Super Bowl I'm 100% positive this is how it's going to go down (assuming the Pats haven't already IRed Gronk by then). And when it happens, we'll at least have yesterday's statement to point back to, although we all know that won't be enough to stop the runaway train that is media sensationalism.

While I agree with your overall point the only issue is that if he never shows up at the team facility around the postseason BYE/AFCCG time then all of that speculation won't happen because nobody - even the moron media - can't reasonably imply that he can play in games without any kind of practice.

The other side of this is that while BB likes to **** with the media he might just prefer have the circus done with and not put Gronk through this. By all accounts he is liked at lot inside the building so why put him through it and sour the relationship. Just to strike back against the leaking family ? Not sure that's worth it.

Ya I mean he has no axe to grind with Gronk or the Pats after Team Gronk accused him of malpractice and the Pats got rid of him. Nope, none at all

To be fair there were some interesting nuggets in the various pieces he was whoring himself out to.

“Six to eight weeks might be realistic for the first time, and if this (injury) is at a new level, sure it’s realistic”

First time I heard anyone mentioning that it will all depend on the exact place of the ruptured disc.

Similarly for our draft fans:
“There is a saying we had when we were evaluating players at the combine, once a disk always a disk, because even when it’s fixed, especially with an offensive linemen — we always downgrade offensive linemen when they have had a disk surgery because we know this is going to happen again."

First time I heard anyone mentioning that it will all depend on the exact place of the ruptured disc.
Yeah, the only difference that I could possibly see it making is if it isn't one of the two disks that have already had their material removed.

If it's a 3rd brand new disk again, he's obviously much better off vs. having to go in and possibly fuse one of the old ones which has been re-herniated. Just out of curiosity, where did the poster quote that source from, in regards to the 6-8 week timetable? I still think that's insanely optimistic, but maybe we'll get very lucky.

Yeah, the only difference that I could possibly see it making is if it isn't one of the two disks that have already had their material removed.

If it's a 3rd brand new disk again, he's obviously much better off vs. having to go in and possibly fuse one of the old ones which has been re-herniated. Just out of curiosity, where did the poster quote that source from, in regards to the 6-8 week timetable? I still think that's insanely optimistic, but maybe we'll get very lucky.

Those were quotes from various Gill articles.

Former Patriots Doctor Would Be 'Really Surprised' If Gronkowski Returned This Season

Former Patriots doctor Thomas Gill: Some concern Rob Gronkowski’s career could be over

The 6-8 weeks were also projected by Chao:

btw. Chao posted an update being somewhat optimistic after seeing Gronk walk:

I definitely go with Chao over the other disgraced doctor in this case. No conflict of interest.

Gronk should sue if this ends his career. These bums who like to knock people out and cause injuries should pay a price. And please stop with this career might be over reports from media HACKS. It's all speculation to get clicks and ratings. Lord please drop a plague on them. I hate them so much.

I love Gronk, hell look at my avi, but I hope he hangs them up soon. He might not feel it now, but when he's 40, his body is gonna ache like no other. At this point, i think he needs to think long term health.
Sadly, injuries do add up. Found this on CSNNE. Ankle, knee, back, chest, arm, oy! It's head to toe! He will feel like an old man at age 40, if not sooner. Note the chart doesn't even show him sitting out his last year of college due to the bad back. Regardless of the "compensation theory", repairing muscle/bone injuries does take away some mobility each time. I suffered ankle damage when I was Gronk's age and I still feel it every day.
upload_2016-12-3_9-4-39.png
But I think Gronk Inc will want to play on. I just think if he's not healthy in 2017 some sort of accommodation will be need to be made. Given the way the contract is structured, 2018 was always going to be the 'fish or cut bait' year.
An injury that takes two months to recover from is now a career ender?
It seems the walker video proves it is not the worst case scenario, thank God.

Last edited:
1) "Easier" than a nailbiting last minute victory is not "cruising".

That's a pretty understandable difference in word definition.
Then I suggest you choose your words more carefully instead of saying "easier".
2) So you watched the game and think Brady's mobility was not greatly compromised?
Well Tom Brady's strength is not exactly his mobility and IIRC he wasn't sacked, so I don't consider him at 60% of his full self just because one aspect of his game (which he doesn't rely on) was modestly compromised.

Your 60% number is just made up completely out of thin air, so it's easy to draw any conclusion someone wants when they just pull numbers out of nowhere based on no solid evidence whatsoever.

And here it is..

See you next summer big dude..

Honestly, I can't blame them for putting him on IR.

It's the right call. Some people won't like it because everyone just wants instant gratification but we are not only talking about an extremely valuable player that the team has to protect but also a human being that has been through a lot.

It's the right call. Some people won't like it because everyone just wants instant gratification but we are not only talking about an extremely valuable player that the team has to protect but also a human being that has been through a lot.

After all, the last time they rushed him back, it worked out so well. . . . :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes