PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Ryan Mallett Traded to Houston for late pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
My initial statement was not wrong. His rookie contact was a 3-year deal, meaning in 2012 the Pats had to choose between giving teams a chance to get him for nothing and overpaying him.
A 2012 2nd Round Tender was $1.927 million.

Mallett has a head start on the other 2 QB's there in that he knows the offense that BOB is installing. I wouldn't be suprised to see him leapfrog Savage on the depth chart and eventually getting a chance once Fitzpatrick hits a bad streak as he always seems to do.
The other qbs spent a camp running it.

As far as the trade that recently took place. It wasn't much of a surprise. The trade talks regarding Mallett has been whispered about for awhile now and has finally come to fruition. In addition, Mallett was in the final year of his contract and hasn't played well his entire time in NE. Bill rarely has kept more than 2QBs on the final 53 roster the past few years. I said earlier this season that I would be surprised if Bill kept more than 2 QBs on the 53 person roster. Nonetheless, best of luck to Mallett in his future endeavors.

Last edited:
Someone has to counter balance the ****** *******.

Feel free to explain how being a troll that never adds anything of substance accomplishes that?

While you are at it you can provide a post of yours with substance, it would be a first for you

Feel free to point out the homers, as I would like to see if they are as bad as you say.

They know who they are so I do not need to single out people.

Any criticism whatsoever of Belichick gets their panties in a bunch. This Mallet thing did nothing to help Brady and the Pats win another Championship over the last 3 seasons. The only thing it does now is open a roster spot.

No really Triumph, point out the homers that think Belichick can do no wrong.

I will not go there, but I will point out some of those that dare to speak out like I.

Dues will. Capt Stone. STCJones.

I will not go there, but I will point out some of those that dare to speak out like I.

Dues will. Capt Stone. STCJones.

I know Deus. I respect Deus as much as I dislike him.

EDIT: And the reason I dislike him has absolutely nothing to do with him criticizing Belichick.

Last edited:
They know who they are so I do not need to single out people.

Any criticism whatsoever of Belichick gets their panties in a bunch. This Mallet thing did nothing to help Brady and the Pats win another Championship over the last 3 seasons. The only thing it does now is open a roster spot.

I thought the pic made no sense since we had Brady and he wont come out of games. But now that I see the whole picture (which I did not draft day) maybe its more than what I thought a weird pic.

You say he did nothing to help. Perhaps having a crappy 2nd QB dosent allow offensive players to develop in practice as quicker and learn the system quicker. Brady cant take every snap. Maybe RM ran the O in practice precisely how Brady ran it so that the players never missed a beat. Something tells me there are more variables involved with accessing a backup QB than just how many games he gets in and wins.

Homers wouldn't rationalize like that and neither would the negative guys. This game has way more intricacies than we can probably imagine and that is why it is fascinating and not always so black and white.

Air Traffic Control centers have backup systems that are rarely ever needed. But when they are, there are a lot of people sure happy they had them.

Having a decent backup quarterback is not about "we can't win the Super Bowl if Brady goes out with a season ending injury" and more about "Im glad our backup quarterback could win us those 2 games out of 4 while Brady was out with a bad ankle".

And on the flip side of that, spending a pick on a promising backup quarterback allows a team the CHANCE of finding a Brady to your Bledsoe, the Steve Young to your Montana or the Aaron Rodgers to your Favre.

Something that hiring a tested but serviceable veteran backup will never, ever get you.

Last edited:
The other qbs spent a camp running it.

Right, but Mallett has been in it for three years, so he has the concepts down.

The question is how much BOB will diverge, if at all, from the EP system (note I call it the system not the offense, as I believe that is a more accurate description of what it has evolved into).

Air Traffic Control centers have backup systems that are rarely ever needed. But when they are, there are a lot of people sure happy they had them.

Having a decent backup quarterback is not about "we can't win the Super Bowl if Brady goes out with a season ending injury" and more about "Im glad our backup quarterback could win us those 2 games out of 4 while Brady was out with a bad ankle".

Agreed. Only issue is if you look at all the Super Bowls,1/4 of the winners were quarterbacked by players that were not in their 1st year in the league. They were either proven vets or in their 2nd year- including our hero, TB.

SB36, SB35, SB34, SB25, SB22, SB15, etc.

Based on what?

There was never any indication that Mallet would be good hence no buyers and low return on investment.

Read my post again. I said that if he got the preponderance of the practice time with the 1's and the staff tailored the game plan to him, he would likely play better than we would have expected. Whether that turned out to be poor, mediocre or pretty good - I have no idea. Cassel improved throughout the course of 2008 under those circumstances.

By the way, there's no upside in trading for the player right now. He hasn't played a meaningful snap since college; there's no film or track record to evaluate. If he were to get an opportunity and play well this year, he's a free agent. Hence the low return.

I should probably research this a bit but I'm on vacation and it's nearly ****tail hour.

My sense is that it's tough to recruit a quality veteran backup if you have an elite QB. Who was backing up Manning when they had to put the bolt through his neck?

I should probably research this a bit but I'm on vacation and it's nearly ****tail hour.

My sense is that it's tough to recruit a quality veteran backup if you have an elite QB. Who was backing up Manning when they had to put the bolt through his neck?

Kerry Collins, followed by Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky.

And the Colts paid Collins $4M for his 0-3 record as a starter.

The veteran guys who are any good at all want a chance to play and that's not going to happen behind Brady, Brees, Rodgers or Moonhead. Also, teams paying megabucks for elite QBs may not want to tie up that much cap space in the position.

Does anybody know how good Brock Orsweiler really is?

4 million dollars, thats a lot of Cap Space.

The veteran guys who are any good at all want a chance to play and that's not going to happen behind Brady, Brees, Rodgers or Moonhead. Also, teams paying megabucks for elite QBs may not want to tie up that much cap space in the position.

Does anybody know how good Brock Orsweiler really is?

I haven't seen him play, but his career stat line is 13/20 for 107 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT.

c'mon man....I know I know but what was that QB Curtis's REAL last name? I can figure out what he's doiung for work now on my own..:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back