PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Ryan Mallett Traded to Houston for late pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh...LOVE the Hustler reference but you DO realize he's wrong about Fast Eddie in the end ,right?

Simms isn't going to meet a limping Piper Laurie or have a moment of revelation (I see his pro career has been a puddle of suck too) because he's a loser.

You can't possibly be seriously suggesting we import his horrible decision making and choking behavior to influence grop, are you?

to tell you the truth RC...I thought Major Applewhite was some kind of fruit liquer...heh

I prefer the Patriots risk it and go with 2 QBs. Sure, it is comforting to see 3 QBs on the roster. Yet with Brady's solid track record of durability coupled with JAG's youth/glimmer of promise, odds are distinct that QB #3 will never see the field. Weighing the +/-, I think it's a good gamble in order to use the roster spot elsewhere.
As far as consternation over getting just a measly low pick for Mallett? You have to be kidding me. Mallett is (i) available after this season without compensation to the Patriots, (ii) appears to have been beat out by a rookie, (iii) showed little in the way of 'flashes' in several preseasons worth of playing time, (iv) has almost no regular season statistics on record.
Mallett has little value, plain and simple. It was someone's drug addled fantasy that we were getting a high round pick for him. The only way that was happening is if some GM was about to give up on life and become a sports media writer.

I think one question to ask is, did BB make the right choice not giving Mallett as much junk playing time as possible? There were definitely some out of reach games where Brady could have come out-Mallett could have come in to show what he could do/create some stats. Enough to matter? I don't know, however, in theory it could have been enough to squeeze out better compensation than what we did get.

to tell you the truth RC...I thought Major Applewhite was some kind of fruit liquer...heh

I thought he was the guy in the designer shoes that got all jumpy and worked up over a shooting star?

I think one question to ask is, did BB make the right choice not giving Mallett as much junk playing time as possible? There were definitely some out of reach games where Brady could have come out-Mallett could have come in to show what he could do/create some stats. Enough to matter? I don't know, however, in theory it could have been enough to squeeze out better compensation than what we did get.

Agreed, the lack of a minimum significant stat affected his value badly, if I'm not mistaken Mallet has negative yardage.

Last season was the season to put him in the field to accumulate stats, bit with the amount of closed games and comebacks, it didn't go that way.

a 7th round pick 2 years from now is more then I was thinking they would get for him I was sure he would be cut. good luck to the kid I wish him all the best

That briefly sums it up well. Good luck to Mallett.
It will be interesting to see if the years with the Patriots -- teaching a high level of professionalism/optimal approach to work -- and his years as an understudy of Brady will make him one of those QBs that stick around the league as a serviceable starting option and/or a solid backup option. While I don't think Mallett is likely to end up a well known superstar(anything is possible), it's a damn solid and enviable career he'll be able to look back on if he can stick around the league for some years in that capacity.

Agreed, the lack of a minimum significant stat affected his value badly, if I'm not mistaken Mallet has negative yardage.

Last season was the season to put him in the field to accumulate stats, bit with the amount of closed games and comebacks, it didn't go that way.

Good point. I forgot how much of an outlier last season was compared to the other past seasons. Not only was there lesser junk time but there is probably a good argument to be made that Brady needed every second of playing time with all the new receivers.

A couple seasons ago I swear people were balking at trading Mallett at all, even for a 1st rounder. lol

A couple seasons ago I swear people were balking at trading Mallett at all, even for a 1st rounder. lol

The two positions are not contradictory. There was a difference (that is, it is 2-3 yrs later time difference).

the choice back then was replace him as your brady-backup with some more expensive vet or use another draft pick on some other unknown. the choice now is wait and hold him as insurance and then get a 2016 comp pick when he walks; or trade him now and get a 2015 pick and the roster space (fyi imo the cap savings is not signif enough to mention as a plus) .

So completely different decision-situations that a rational person can come to different results based on different inputs.

I thought they would keep RM around this year; but BB sees what JAG is doing in film study, practices, interaction-leadership quotient; all things we dont see. He is comfortable with a 1-2-PS(rookie) QB depth chart (IBBWT). And trading out a clipboard-holder for a guy who should actually see the field sometime this season and is a potential impact trench/space-eater is just gravy on top.

unless the back-up QB is Peyton Manning, who the hell cares who our back up is? Really...GOAT goes down and the season is over.
Backups are important if the QB goes down a couple of games. Like what happened to the Packers last year. That's where you want a good backup that can win a few games and keep you in the playoff race.

People really seem to believe that it's all or nothing with QBs. Either they play all games or they are out for the season. But there are lots of cases where the QB is out just a few games. But with a crappy backup that might be enough to miss the playoff.

I was one of the first here several years ago to come out against Mallett as being a golden arm with terrible footwork, slow reads, no instincts whatever. Glad he's gone. Wish BB was able to get more lipstick on the pig for a better trade result, but whatever. Mallett will not make a dent anywhere he goes in the NFL.

Even if they kept him, it TB goes down w/ injury that includes the playoffs neither back-up was going to be able to pull this team to victory, so why not have an extra roster spot?

Id say BOB got over on BB.

If Mallet tanks it cost Houston nothing and if Mallet shines it cost Houston nothing.

If Mallet tanks it cost Houston nothing and if Mallet shines it cost Houston nothing.

We got a coveted roster spot...

The Pats received a draft pick for a player whos contract will expire at the end of this season and has not performed on the field (no fault of Mallett's). Those two factors alone depreciate his value in a trade.

We got a coveted roster spot...

Richard Sherman was drafted about 70 spots after Mallet.

Would have been nice to have a CB like him. Jordon Cameron and Julius Thomas were also drafted after Mallet.

The Pats received a draft pick for a player whos contract will expire at the end of this season and has not performed on the field (no fault of Mallett's). Those two factors alone depreciate his value in a trade.

Don't you think that BOB will extend Mallet sooner than later if Mallet wants to show what he has?

unless the back-up QB is Peyton Manning, who the hell cares who our back up is? Really...GOAT goes down and the season is over.

Demonstrably incorrect. See 2008. I love Brady. Every year, every game, with Brady at the helm is another ho-hum day of watching a legend in action. However, Cassel won 11 games. We might not know enough yet about Jimmy Grapes, or whatever the hell nickname we give him, but (gasp!) I will venture to say that he might have significantly more upside than Cassel (if ZERO game time in NE.) Of course, he'd be unlikely to have a down of playing time until Brady either gets hurt or retires. So it is what it is, whether next week (God forbid) or in X years -- unless we sour on him and go get us another heir apparent.

Tom's great. In Bill we trust - at least, I do.

Alternatively the Patriots release Mallett and receive nothing in return. Mallett was a depreciating asset. Frankly, I'm surprised the Patriots got anything for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back