PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Rex Ryan would rather get fired than accept the status quo

Status
Not open for further replies.
That story is the worst piece of reporting I've ever seen. Who is "the team source?" An unattributed quote speculating on what is in Rex Ryan's mind from exactly who?!?

Manish Mehta of the NY Daily News should be the first one fired.

NBC Sports should be embarrassed to post that story.

You do realize that some of the biggest news stories in history were broken by anonymous sources? Most notably Watergate.

People always dismiss stories they don't want to believe because they feel the writer is making up these team or league sources. I am sure Mehta got this information from someone close to Ryan who probably was told this directly from Ryan. Otherwise, I doubt he would have run this story.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan had someone tell Mehta this so that it got out there for whatever agenda he has (getting himself fired, forcing Woody to fire Tanny or make bold moves). Ryan's career is on the line here. Either he needs to turn it around in NY or he needs to convince prospective employers that this circus wasn't his fault.

In 4 days somebody can start the Dolphins suck 2013 thread because they are clearly the second team in the division going forward and the Jets can join the Bills in the who cares category.

You do realize that some of the biggest news stories in history were broken by anonymous sources? Most notably Watergate.

People always dismiss stories they don't want to believe because they feel the writer is making up these team or league sources. I am sure Mehta got this information from someone close to Ryan who probably was told this directly from Ryan. Otherwise, I doubt he would have run this story.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan had someone tell Mehta this so that it got out there for whatever agenda he has (getting himself fired, forcing Woody to fire Tanny or make bold moves). Ryan's career is on the line here. Either he needs to turn it around in NY or he needs to convince prospective employers that this circus wasn't his fault.

Believe me when I tell you that, from an experience standpoint, the anonymous source doesn't exist more times than it does. It's one of many reasons (most of them political) that I went back to school and didn't care to get into the profession.

Believe me when I tell you that, from an experience standpoint, the anonymous source doesn't exist more times than it does. It's one of many reasons (most of them political) that I went back to school and didn't care to get into the profession.

I took journalism in school, but never went into the profession. I do know that the ethical standards of journalism have really laxed over the years especially in the Internet age. I am sure there are plenty of guys who make up sources, but I have a hard time believing it happens more than it doesn't. But you have more experience in this area.

He wants to fire Sparano and shop around.... watch Norvel get hired there next. :)

I took journalism in school, but never went into the profession. I do know that the ethical standards of journalism have really laxed over the years especially in the Internet age. I am sure there are plenty of guys who make up sources, but I have a hard time believing it happens more than it doesn't. But you have more experience in this area.

His experience is anecdotal. Unless someone has in over 50% of the major news outlets and experienced that over 50% of sources were made up it's really just commentary on a person's experience.

For instance, I can say, without a doubt, that most corporations are vile entities. But I can only say that as opinion, I can't back it up via fact because I haven't worked for or gotten more information on 'most corporations.'

So I agree with you that the assertion that most sources are made up without any proof other than one person's experience is dubious at best.

Still, I agree with his larger point that 'a source' means 'no source' is a good stance to which to default because if someone doesn't have the guts or the proof to backup what they are saying there's not a lot to go on.

In the end, though, I hope it's true.

1. Rex is a self serving scumbag. In just one week he's thrown Tebow,Tanny, Sparano, and Woody all under the bus. He's basically said "Hey don't look at me. I'm not the problem here"

2. He established a lack of accountability on the Jets, and he is its biggest practitioner. "its not MY fault" is the team credo.

3. BB has figured out his schemes and hasn't scored less than 30 points in a game in 2 years. Why do I want him as my DC. The best game plan he ever authored was when he went AGAINST his philosophy in the 2010 AFC playoffs vs the Pats. Rex's schemes are good at beating up bad offenses. That's it.

4. All you need to know about Rex's player evaluation skill is that he called the 2012 version of the Jet his most talented team of his 4 year run.

5. All you need to know about Rex's management skill is the way the Jets are viewed by the rest of the league.....an utter circus.

6. The ONLY place I want to see Rex Ryan is as the HC of the NJ Jets. If you are a Jets hater, you must realize that he is the HC the festering Jets deserve. I don't ever want to see him go.

His experience is anecdotal. Unless someone has in over 50% of the major news outlets and experienced that over 50% of sources were made up it's really just commentary on a person's experience.

For instance, I can say, without a doubt, that most corporations are vile entities. But I can only say that as opinion, I can't back it up via fact because I haven't worked for or gotten more information on 'most corporations.'

So I agree with you that the assertion that most sources are made up without any proof other than one person's experience is dubious at best.

Still, I agree with his larger point that 'a source' means 'no source' is a good stance to which to default because if someone doesn't have the guts or the proof to backup what they are saying there's not a lot to go on.

I disagree with the larger point. Many times a source will not want their name printed because they are afraid of being fired or other reprisal even if their information is 100% accurate. I think if done ethically, an unnamed source can be an immensely valuable asset for a journalist. These unnamed sources can be much more honest in their information in many cases than if they were to put their name behind it.

For example, if you work for a major corporation that is committing a crime, you might be more willing to tell a reporter as an anonymous source than with your name attached because even though you are protected by the whistleblower laws, there is a strong likelihood that that employer can make your life miserable and future corporations would be hesistant to hire you.

I will say this. Many teams and coaches and players in sports purposely plant stories in the paper to push an agenda. Someone could have planted this for some agenda against Ryan.

In 4 days somebody can start the Dolphins suck 2013 thread because they are clearly the second team in the division going forward and the Jets can join the Bills in the who cares category.

I'm not sure the Rats' relative strength is the reason for the "Rats Suck" thread.

Personnally, it does not matter to me how good or bad the Rats perform on the field. I tend to dislike NY/NJ teams in general, but after the Rats tampered with Parcells and all of the other atrocities they have since inflicted on the Pats, I have loathed the Rats with the fire of 10,000 suns.

They and their fans cannot suffer too much for me, and that is why I think the "Rats Suck" thread exists; it is certainly why I post in it.

**** the Rats!

Last edited:
That story is the worst piece of reporting I've ever seen. Who is "the team source?" An unattributed quote speculating on what is in Rex Ryan's mind from exactly who?!?

Manish Mehta of the NY Daily News should be the first one fired.

NBC Sports should be embarrassed to post that story.

There's nothing wrong with using unnamed sources. It's often the only way to get the information, because people don't want to be known. There's a reason they pass whistleblower statutes, after all, even though they're often ineffective.

Last edited:
Rex Ryan makes his power play; TV a possibility? - NFL.com

he may get on TV :eek:

Ryan is now shedding all responsibility it seems of this offense on 'lack of spending money' or 'owner wanting something else' ? This is hilarious. Of course media will side with him because he is a media friendly guy. But for all the rah rah he did when things went well and saying how open and transparent and bold he was , he is anything but. He failed to call out holmes last yr , blamed their OC in a roundabout way, brought in sparano and now is blaming everyone else because 'his' defense is good. Thats exactly the problem with him, he can only coach and think defense, not team.

I definitely vote for giving Rex absolute control. It's the only way that the 2012 Jets Schadenfreude Tour could be topped.

I read a post on JI that makes sense to me on this. He suggests that what Rex is referring to is Woody's propensity to be loyal and move employees to different positions rather than outright fire them.

Whether it is not wanting to waste money by firing guys and keep paying them, or keeping guys like Tannenbaum around in another capacity, it DOES damage a team's chances by not making a clean sweep and bringing in a top FO guy and let him run the show and do the hiring.

Where Rex is wrong though is if he somehow thinks he doesn't bear as much responsibility for the current fiasco, as the other staff that is on the hot seat.

There is a reason why the team that knew Rex the best, the Baltimore Ravens, were not interested in having Rex be their next HC.

He should be in politics. This move is nothing short of brilliant. He's going to get fired anyway, so it makes it seem like someone else's fault now.

After all, he'd rather be fired than have to work for this losing regime which is not his fault at all.

I interned and worked at two different publications and saw the same tactics each time. Granted, it may not be that way across the board, though, so I was probably incorrect in using broad, sweeping generalizations. But, in my experience, it seems to be the case.

Last edited:
I really believe now that Rex is getting fired.

I sure wish he would stay.:(

He should be in politics. This move is nothing short of brilliant. He's going to get fired anyway, so it makes it seem like someone else's fault now.

After all, he'd rather be fired than have to work for this losing regime which is not his fault at all.
On the surface I wouldn't disagree. But anyone who looks beneath the surface would see that his is a pretty transparent move, designed to merely protect himself from blame.

So what appears to be a "brilliant" strategy to deflect the myriad of problems away from himself, really only points out the depth of his delusion. He has just thrown his owner, GM, and OC under the bus. What owner or GM will want to hire a guy who is willing to do that. What legitimate OC would want to work for a guy like that?

No, Ray. Rex will NEVER get another shot at being a HC, a job where he excelled at only 3 things, (self promotion, defense, and press conferences). His lack of awareness, organization, and attention to detail should keep him out of HC consideration alone. Why would anyone in their right mind allow the guy who call THIS Jet team the most talented of his 4 year run, "to buy the groceries". Clearly he has no idea about player evaluation.

I think he might get a look as a DC somewhere where they are desperate, but what HC wants to hire a guy who will stab him in the back the first chance he gets. There are only 2 places where Rex would be a "hot commodity", Ray, and that's ESPN and Fox.

On the surface I wouldn't disagree. But anyone who looks beneath the surface would see that his is a pretty transparent move, designed to merely protect himself from blame.

So what appears to be a "brilliant" strategy to deflect the myriad of problems away from himself, really only points out the depth of his delusion. He has just thrown his owner, GM, and OC under the bus. What owner or GM will want to hire a guy who is willing to do that. What legitimate OC would want to work for a guy like that?

No, Ray. Rex will NEVER get another shot at being a HC, a job where he excelled at only 3 things, (self promotion, defense, and press conferences). His lack of awareness, organization, and attention to detail should keep him out of HC consideration alone. Why would anyone in their right mind allow the guy who call THIS Jet team the most talented of his 4 year run, "to buy the groceries". Clearly he has no idea about player evaluation.

I think he might get a look as a DC somewhere where they are desperate, but what HC wants to hire a guy who will stab him in the back the first chance he gets. There are only 2 places where Rex would be a "hot commodity", Ray, and that's ESPN and Fox.

You're an owner. Do you hire a HC as the public face of your entertainment industry franchise who has consistently beclowned himself in front of the media? Someone so clueless that he openly participated on websites pimping out his wife? Someone who has shown that he will throw all the other members of your organization's executive staff including you under the bus while still collecting a paycheck?

If you're a GM making the hiring decision the same applies.

if you're a HC you might consider him as a DC since the coordinators have limited press exposure. His past exploits as HC don't exactly make him a threat to your job. See 1st paragraph.

Last edited:
Ryan is now denying the report in his press conference, saying that the Jets are the only team he wants to coach. He says he's proud to be a Jet and that the Jets are his team, with his players.

Last edited:
Ryan is now denying the report in his press conference, saying that the Jets are the only team he wants to coach.

So once again either Rex is lying, confused, has 2nd thoughts and/or the "sources" are garbage.

Yet we can believe uncritically every single unattributed sourced word about Tebow refusing to play as ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down