PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Raiders to cut Michael Huff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raiders always destroy talent, we put talent back together.

I recall a few times see Eagle Wr's run by him for Td's.. But he was a talent and played at a high level for a few years.. He had a fair amt of pass defenses..

But in a way I'm glad to see people posting here that we need a serious upgrade over Sanders.. I've been preaching for a while he's a JAG at best.. Good tackler but nothing more..
Our Defense has really gone down hill due to our safety play or lack of it. With Harrison being injuried the past few years and Eugene Wilson career and talent going down the toilet, we were exposed so many times down the middle and over the top.

I completely agree with your comment about Sanders. He's god awful in the open space. He lacks the speed/quickness/change of direction to be our last line of defense. He consistently uses bad angles in trying to tackle or break up passes. If anything, Huff will provide an upgrade in athleticism over Sanders.

Huff is not a big hitter and does not stop the run well. He also has one interception in 48 career games. It may be because of Oakland but he still did not make any big plays. He may be an upgrade over Sanders but still I do not see him as the answer. He'll be good if he wants to come here cheap and just be a rotation guy.

I completely agree with your comment about Sanders. He's god awful in the open space. He lacks the speed/quickness/change of direction to be our last line of defense. He consistently uses bad angles in trying to tackle or break up passes. If anything, Huff will provide an upgrade in athleticism over Sanders.

See next reply

Last edited:

I agree with you sir. You are right about James Sanders. He might not be able to cover anybody, but he does not tackle well either.

I beg to differ if anyone thinks that James Sanders is a better tackler than Huff. look at the stats. JS is about a 4.6+ S. He cannot even keep up with most NFL TEs now a days. O.K. ....keep him for a backup if there is that much "manlove" for the JS if that makes those of you happy.

Everyone that even tries to do a mock draft or so-called expert (whatever that means) has us taking a S at some point and a CB (no one was thrilled about Wheatly and Wilhite). If they go after a CB that means that the Pats weren't thrilled either. This will be interesting. Wheatly was damaged goods and that hasn't changed in the pros and Wilhite?...who knows?

BB hates to play rookies unless necessary. We know that. We draft a S or CB he will still more than likely, will have no starts, A player like Huff has experience and if he can be what they want, prevents us from going to draft a S in the draft. He can start today if he is a fit. I think he played his best at SS, not FS where his play diminished.
DW Toys

you guys are all crazy if you dont think Mike Huff is good. Oakland has no pass rush along with no affective defensive scheme.

If Al Davis cuts Huff he will regret it. He is a great athlete who gambles to much. Not to mention he switches his position every other week from strong to free.

I understand that tackling is not his strong suit, but he is pretty effective playing near the line like a SS. I bet that a little re-tooling with his technique and added motivation of being cut, might help him sure up his tackling.

He is an instant upgrade at SS. Meriweather is a good FS and not strong enough to play SS. Besides he is to fast and good in coverage to not have him at FS, he really worked on his hands this season as well. Not switching positions mid season will help him.

If he is cut they should sign Huff. that way all focus can go back to ILB, OLB, CB, and T. And trading Cassel

As we all know, Michael Huff has suffered tremendously under Rob Ryan's incompetent coaching since being drafted.

Agreed. Huff is an immediate upgrade at SS and way better than Sanders who is a rotation player.

2 points come to my mind

1. If we were happy to go for people like O'Neill, Lynch, Tank Williams etc why on earth wouldnt we give Huff a shot

2. I wonder if we'd have been saying the same things about Rodney Harrison

Coming out of the draft Huff was noted for being an EXCELLENT tackler with great form and rarely missed tackles.

I'm thinking that playing on the crappy Raiders defense with no pass rush and horrible defenders besides that stud corner, contributed to Huff looking bad, not to mention the Raiders constantly switching him from CB to SS to FS

Meriweather is too small for SS, keep him at free safety and take a flier on Huff.

How does playing on a crappy team affect an individuals tackling form?

I watched him play here in Austin for a couple of years. I never understood why he was so highly rated. Tremendous athlete, really fast, but not well coached, and not well disciplined (just like a lot of UT players). I remember him being interviewed after UT beat USC. Regarding one fourth down play near the end of the game, he said "the defensiive play call wasn't for me to blitz, but I decided to blitz anyway." The antithesis of a Belichick-type player.

Or it could be the Texas coach was an idiot and Huff audibled the play in order to win the game... ? The Pats linebackers and QB's regularly over-ride the play call if they see something on the field. I don't see how that's an anti-Belichick type of player

Merriwether at fs, Huff at ss and Harrison at the "hybrid/Tank
Williams position is something worth contemplating.
Heck, that's what the off-season is for.

you guys are all crazy if you dont think Mike Huff is good. Oakland has no pass rush along with no affective defensive scheme.

If Al Davis cuts Huff he will regret it. He is a great athlete who gambles to much. Not to mention he switches his position every other week from strong to free.

I understand that tackling is not his strong suit, but he is pretty effective playing near the line like a SS. I bet that a little re-tooling with his technique and added motivation of being cut, might help him sure up his tackling.

He is an instant upgrade at SS. Meriweather is a good FS and not strong enough to play SS. Besides he is to fast and good in coverage to not have him at FS, he really worked on his hands this season as well. Not switching positions mid season will help him.

If he is cut they should sign Huff. that way all focus can go back to ILB, OLB, CB, and T. And trading Cassel

Great post. I still doubt he gets cut.
DW Toys

Or it could be the Texas coach was an idiot and Huff audibled the play in order to win the game... ? The Pats linebackers and QB's regularly over-ride the play call if they see something on the field. I don't see how that's an anti-Belichick type of player

I wouldn't argue with you about the idiot Texas coach, except that I don't think Mack Brown was calling the defensive signals that day.

Oakland, truly is one place where one man's trash is another man's treasure.
Would Al kick already.....

Does anybody think Al Davis would send us another castoff? If he does, I don't see why we couldn't give Huff a looksee. I did like him coming out of college. The person that said he couldn't tackle obviously hasn't been watching him. He can tackle but he is, at times, a liability in coverage. If BB thinks he can patch Huff back up then I'm not opposed to him coming to New England.

In a surprise move, early reports suggest that the Raiders have cut SS Gibril Wilson rather than Huff:

Oakland Raiders - Transactions

I haven't been able to confirm this yet from any major site. It is suprising because (1) Wilson was signed only a year ago to a 6 year $39M deal (though Jacksonville cut Jerry Porter after one year, having signed him to a 6 year $30M deal), and (2) Wilson apparently played quite well for the Raiders. Could be a cap casualty of Scrabble's huge contract.

Wilson is only 27, 6' 210#, and has been a highly productive SS. Another Tennessee product, so maybe Mayo has a pipeline to him. From what I've seen of him, he would be a nice SS complement to Meriweather - a step up from Sean Jones and Huff in terms of productivity.

Ooops Al Davis did it again! Maybe next week he realeses Nnamdi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back