PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Pats interested in Umenyiora (merged many times)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Report: Pats interested in Umenyiora, price now down to 2nd rounder

Get it done Bill.

I would probably not do it for a 1st rounder because he is going to be 30 this season and wants top 5 DE money, but I'd definitely do it for a 2nd rounder.

Year after year, Bill holds onto his 2nd rounders. He hits on some guys (Chung, Vollmer, Gronk) and whiffs one some guys pretty badly (Chad Jackson, Butler, Wheatley, Brace).

You can get at least 2 great years out of Osi, probably 3, maybe 4. You give him $8 million a year and he'll be happy. He's only making like $4 million per year now. If he got traded to a new team and they gave him a significant raise, I don't think he'd hold out and demand $12 million.

This guy is an absolute stud and is exactly what the Pats need, especially in a 4-3. Bill's track record in the 2nd round has been hit or miss. You've got enough draft picks to trade a 2nd rounder for an elite player like this.

I hope the Pats get it done. I'd be absolutely elated with the offseason. Aggressive, big-time moves that add elite talent and prepare this team better for postseason success.
From what I've seen of Osi he is one of the most explosive and talented DEs in the league. Getting him would immediately give the Pats a top 5 defense IMO. And we might actually start winning some playoffs games again.

Its not just a 2nd round draft pick. Its a 2nd + an ass load of money.

I don't see the appeal of giving even a 2nd for a 30 year old DE with contract issues.

and a injury risk

From what I've seen of Osi he is one of the most explosive and talented DEs in the league. Getting him would immediately give the Pats a top 5 defense IMO. And we might actually start winning some playoffs games again.
<insert whoever is your line binkie> - Wilfork - Haynesworth - Umenyiora

That's an impressive 4-3 defensive line. C'mon Osi, pay the Patriots back for 2007.

and a injury risk
Every football player is at risk of injury every day.

<insert whoever is your line binkie> - Wilfork - Haynesworth - Umenyiora

That's an impressive 4-3 defensive line. C'mon Osi, pay the Patriots back for 2007.

Cunningham would look good there.

I want this guy on our team, he does owe us. :cool:

Ain't this about winning championships? The Pats are the last team that would screw up there salary structure for anyone. They will take him only if it makes sense.

I don't think anyone is gonna pay this guy 12 mil. He may be happy with a couple of extra mil in his pocket and new scenery.

No doubt. I see a ton of Giants and Jets game -- the guy is an absolute monster off the edge. He's not the complete dominating force that a guy like Strahan was as a run stuffer and pass rusher, but he's one of the best pure pass rushers in the league and good enough against the run.

The additions of him Haynesworth, coupled with the emergence of guys like Chung and McCourty and the return of a guy like Bodden would make this defense a feared unit for the first time in about 3-4 years.

This team would be lethal. Brady and the offense we have with a top 5 defense? Watch out.

Apparently the Ravens know something we dont...:rofl:

Osi Umenyiora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also check out the very bottom under "2011".

Yeah, under his portrait is says Ravens and also says

"2011

On August 2, 2011, Osi Umenyiora was traded to the Baltimore Ravens for a 2nd round draft pick."

I doubt this has happened. Just someone messing with the wiki, when is the last time Wikipedia broke NFL news before twitter?

So what! If we've got the cap space or can create it with a few restructures or cuts, then why the hell not? Almost everyone, forum junkies and media alike, has been talking for the last few years about the Pats needing a pass rush. Why not go after one of the very best in the game given the opportunity?

Seriously, the Pats haven't won a playoff game since 2007. Tom Brady is not getting any younger. Neither is Wilfork, Welker, Branch, and a few others. I would love to see another SB win or two before Brady hangs up the helmet and pursues his political interests. I trust BB. It is because of him that we're not "wholesaling" players like other teams just to get below the cap, but being frugal has cost this team playoff wins and is, quite possibly, causing some damage to his legacy. It's time to be more aggressive. I think he knows that; otherwise, they would not have gone after Haynesworth and Ocho.

Last edited:

Yeah, under his portrait is says Ravens and also says

"2011

On August 2, 2011, Osi Umenyiora was traded to the Baltimore Ravens for a 2nd round draft pick."

I doubt this has happened. Just someone messing with the wiki, when is the last time Wikipedia broke NFL news before twitter?

And just as quickly as we noticed it, somebody edited it out.

And just as quickly as we noticed it, somebody edited it out.
Open source information.. it's just delightful.

I will get a rex ryan esque tattoo if this goes down. A second is reasonable, now the question becomes if Osi's demands are.

The last time Wikipedia broke something was when that wrestler, Chris Benoit, killed his family and then himself. If I remember correctly, someone has edited the Wikipedia about his murder-suicide before the police even found the bodies. I know this off-topic, but man, was that bizarre.

Every football player is at risk of injury every day.

True, but he has a injury history. Since he became a full time starter in the 2005 season he's missed 26 starts, including the whole 2008 season. That's nearly 2 full seasons out of 5. That is a concern if we are giving up a 2nd and a ton of money. Great pass rusher, but too much risk for me.

With the amount of money that he'll want, I'd give the Pats' next two thirds. He's not worth top trade value in addition to top dollar.

And i had to revert the Matt Light page after it mentioned his brother Todd :lol2:

Last edited:

The last time Wikipedia broke something was when that wrestler, Chris Benoit, killed his family and then himself. If I remember correctly, someone has edited the Wikipedia about his murder-suicide before the police even found the bodies. I know this off-topic, but man, was that bizarre.

Just a glitch in the matrix........

I would dearly love to see Osi in the Pats livery, but it's likely not going to happen. Still, it's a great conversation starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes