PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Patriots Want To Trade Up In First Round, Draft Wide Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would rather they trade up for defense, personally. I would love to see Brady get a chance to play with an elite defense once again.

I don't buy it. This is not the draft you move up in. It's one where you either stay put or move down in. I do love Evans, though. But there are other pressing needs.

Team officials told bleacher report? The ball boy? the equipment guy?

"The Patriots are looking to move up in the first round of the draft to find a top-tier wide receiver, team officials told Bleacher Report’s Mike Freeman."

Except that isn't what Freeman reported. Here is the article in question:

The entire NFL is fascinated with Bill Belichick and everything he does and says. Once again, they are watching him and the general consensus is that he will be extremely active in the draft. They currently hold the 29th overall pick.

What I continue to hear from team officials is that despite the Patriots working out a number of quarterbacks, they truly feel like that Tom Brady only has a few years left. So what the Patriots really want is a major receiving threat for him so they can take that last shot or two at the Super Bowl.

Belichick apparently feels that is one of the main missing ingredients from their team. That makes total sense. Even though Brady is so damn good he makes up for a lot of deficiencies, quarterbacks, even great ones, simply function better when they have a scary receiving threat.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...on-clowney-stink-of-draft-propaganda#comments

Never once does Freeman say WR. He said "receiving threat" multiple times and never specified whether it was WR or TE or even a RB who could catch (although there is no such player who fits that description in round one). It is bad reporting on NESN's part.

Last edited:
Whenever I see Bleacher report I use the name Belcher report in my mind.

Whenever I see Bleacher report I use the name Belcher report in my mind.

Normally, I agree, but Mike Freeman worked for CBS for a number of years and was hired by the Bleacher Report to add credibility to the site.

Except that isn't what Freeman reported. Here is the article in question:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...on-clowney-stink-of-draft-propaganda#comments

Never once does Freeman say WR. He said "receiving threat" multiple times and never specified whether it was WR or TE or even a RB who could catch (although there is no such player who fits that description in round one). It is bad reporting on NESN's part.

That's a cut and paste of the second PP of the article. That's what NESN reported Freeman said. Take it up with NESN.

Not arguing with your interpretation, but their article is unclear. first it's team sources, then it's a vague reference to BB, but the only actual quote is "main missing ingredient."

It's the joys of deciphering modern sports journalism. All we know for sure is a team officials told, or BB believes something about a "main missing ingredient."

The conversation could have been about a new Belichick sandwich recipe for all we know.

I agree Freeman isn't bad it was my general thought on the site.

Not arguing with your interpretation, but their article is unclear. first it's team sources, then it's a vague reference to BB, but the only actual quote is "main missing ingredient."

It's the joys of deciphering modern sports journalism. All we know for sure is a team officials told, or BB believes something about a "main missing ingredient."

The conversation could have been about a new Belichick sandwich recipe for all we know.

The thing is NESN is the one making interpretations. I am taking the article on face value. A receiving threat is not necessarily a WR.

Based on Belichick's draft history, he is more likely to take a TE in round 1 than a WR (granted that isn't always an indicator). In fact, Belichick's biggest draft leap into the first round I think was for Daniel Graham. So it seems more logical that if the Pats are going to make a move up for a receiving threat, it may be for Ebron or Amaro than any of the WRs.

As someone who predicted that we would draft a WR if they fell to the mid 20's or so, Im now all but crossing off WR as our 1st round pick.

so..there's a chance we may get somebody? a wide receiver?...

saying-theres-a-chance.jpg

This certainly falls in line with the team's philosophy.

A. They are always very chatty with the media about team needs and draft strategy.
B. They always try to trade up for a player of star value in the first round, especially in really good drafts.
C. They're always going after star wide receivers.

The only way this report makes sense is if they think there's a really, really good WR who will fall to around 20-24 and they'd consider throwing in a mid-round pick to move up. Even that is unlikely.

BB tipping his draft interest to some reporter? Ha. The only way he'd do that is to dupe other teams into drafting certain types of players so that they would push others........

Never mind you other teams. Pick all those WRs before bad Bill can get his hands on them!
I totally agree, it would never happen, the only thing I could see is Belichick may be trying to create some hype around the WRs in the first round.
  • Watkins
  • Evans
  • Cooks
  • Beckham
  • Lee
The higher they go the more players such as Donald, Hageman, etc. will drop down the board.

Bleacher Report will never recap the Glory Days when NEM wrote articles there. Good times. Good Times!

Yay, BB listened to me and is loading up for one last hurrah!! Take that, Broncos! I am getting excited about this year (whether the rumor is true or not, and I agree with those who say take the rumor with a grain of salt as it is probably just BB mind games)!!
Or a reporter acting as if he has inside info he doesn't.

Only WR worth moving up for is Evans or Watkins IMO

I'm not sold on the receiving corps either, especially if gronk pulls his "I won't be ready until November bit". Edelman amendola and dobson I am comfortable with. Not thrilled about lafell, he looks like a guy who is much like Brandon lloyd - just dives a lot to catch the ball on the sideline.

The pats were drooling over marquise lee at the combine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back