PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Moss spurned Pats on new contract talks

Status
Not open for further replies.
context. Yes shutting up meaning NOT talking to BB about his future etc... and caring ONLY about the 2010 patriots. Unfair to EXPECT him to do absolutely nothing for his future just because he's playing for your favorite team.

He is (was) being paid and paid very well to perform for the 2010 New England Patriots not the 2011 New England Patriots or 2012 or any other team. He can worry about his future on his own time.

He is (was) being paid and paid very well to perform for the 2010 New England Patriots not the 2011 New England Patriots or 2012 or any other team. He can worry about his future on his own time.

Well I disagree that his ONLY responsibility is the 2010 Patriots. He's responsible for his future. Brady would NOT be playing happy in 2010 without an extension either ya know.

How did I make it sound like he was playing for the vet minimum?

It was sarcasm in response to your emphasizing how Moss took less to play for New England and was in a "terrible situation." Which brings us to ...

He was absolutely in a "terrible" situation for his financial security going forward past 2010. Even if you want me to use the term "bad" instead of "terrible" fine. But the fans sure as hell won't give a damn about his situation in 2012 if he played here for 2010.

I refuse to accept the notion of someone who has earned upwards of $60 million by age 33 as struggling for his "financial security" (unless he's king of a small third-world country). Count me among those who sure as hell aren't worried about Randy being able to "feed his family."

I just think we shouldn't really judge a person for looking out for themselves, it's not like he did anything terrible. This is his JOB, his CAREER. How would you like a bunch of people with no knowledge of the inner workings of your career judging you on how you choose to look out for your personal financial security?

This is pro sports. Moss makes many millions of dollars as a high-profile public figure. Judging them is what fans do; it's part of being a fan.

You don't particularly care about, or more precisely cannot do anything about Ted Johnson's financial or health situation or anything but I'm sure you expected him to play out his contract for your favorite team.

Huh? I thought we were talking about Randy Moss.

Why do you feel players aren't entitled to hold out or look out for themselves, especially when their career is so physically demanding and could end tomorrow?

Uh ... because they signed a contract?

Yet teams are entitled to cut teams that are under contract as long and not risk any money beyond what was guaranteed.

Your beef appears to be with provisions of the CBA, not moi.

I don't get it, why must players be villainized just because they make so much money relatively speaking in a short period of time?

I never villainized Randy. I merely pointed out where he shot himself in the foot and is mostly to blame for the trade. He has a history of doing so (Minnesota first time around, Oakland, and now New England).

Well I disagree that his ONLY responsibility is the 2010 Patriots. He's responsible for his future. Brady would NOT be playing happy in 2010 without an extension either ya know.

Although we will never know how Brady would have acted, it is safe to assume he wouldn't have acted like Moss. He would never asked to be traded. He would never have had the press conference that Moss had after the first game (Brady had been given multiple chances to speak about his contract and he never did on the record). That's without all the other rumored stuff that Brady would never had done (and in fairness to Moss, Moss might not have either).

It was sarcasm in response to your emphasizing how Moss took less to play for New England and was in a "terrible situation." Which brings us to ...

Not sure why you lumped the 2 points (taking less in 07 and his 2010 situation)

I refuse to accept the notion of someone who has earned upwards of $60 million by age 33 as struggling for his "financial security" (unless he's king of a small third-world country). Count me among those who sure as hell aren't worried about Randy being able to "feed his family."

Well don't use Ty Law's quote here and no one ever said anything about being worried for Moss. I said I understand his responsibility to himself and do not expect that he forget about himself just to make sure that you are happy as a fan. Also how much has he donated, paid in taxes, invested, given away etc...? Just because he has made a lot of money doesn't mean he should do everything else for free in life. Athletes earn their money, it's not like he hit the lottery.

This is pro sports. Moss makes many millions of dollars as a high-profile public figure. Judging them is what fans do; it's part of being a fan.

So I'm not a fan if I don't judge him?

Huh? I thought we were talking about Randy Moss.

Actually there's a more general point but if you missed it you missed it.

Uh ... because they signed a contract?

Part of the contract (under the CBA) gives them the "right" to hold out. So again, why do you feel they are not entitled to hold out. And even though they are "under contract" they can still have their contract terminated at any point in time.

Your beef appears to be with provisions of the CBA, not moi.

I don't have a "beef" per se, I just don't believe people should be so critical of another person's decision to look out for their own personal future just because it hurts the fans ENTERTAINMENT value.

I never villainized Randy. I merely pointed out where he shot himself in the foot and is mostly to blame for the trade. He has a history of doing so (Minnesota first time around, Oakland, and now New England).

Well we don't know the details so you can speculate that he shot himself in the foot if you want but that wasn't really the point of my response. He actually did HONOR his contract btw. He showed up for work every day and played every game and helped the team while he was here.

Last edited:
Although we will never know how Brady would have acted, it is safe to assume he wouldn't have acted like Moss.

It's safe to say that no 2 people in the world will act alike. But I guarantee everyone here would be going back to body language and nitpicking every tiny detail and reading into every word he spoke looking for something.

He would never asked to be traded. He would never have had the press conference that Moss had after the first game (Brady had been given multiple chances to speak about his contract and he never did on the record). That's without all the other rumored stuff that Brady would never had done (and in fairness to Moss, Moss might not have either).

Ok so Brady is not Moss... and you missed the point.

Yes, and the difference in the way the two behave when they are not happy is why Brady is still a Pat and will be, and Moss is gone.

Unless you can picture Brady going off on a post-Bengal rant if he did not have an extension.

I can't.

Yes, and the difference in the way the two behave when they are not happy is why Brady is still a Pat and will be, and Moss is gone.

Unless you can picture Brady going off on a post-Bengal rant if he did not have an extension.

I can't.

Well Brady is still a Patriot for many more reasons than behavior but yes he is one hell of a unique individual. He's a rare, once in a lifetime blend of talent, intelligence and personality.

why does there have to be a victim?

Why does someone have to be wrong?

We have a HOF problem solving coach ... the team will be fine.

Moss isn't come through that door ... someone else will step up.

Why are all of these knocks on moss being released after he has left. we got the Bill O'Brien shouting match, the belichick plane fight, casserly hairgate and now reports of moss 'not wanting to talk contract' even though he wants a contract.

Frankly, i have a hard time believing that a single person could be capable of being so much of a pain in the ass.

The most likely scenario of why randy moss got traded doesn't require a tremendous amount of creativity.

The Patriots probably thought that Randy's skills had diminished to the point where defenses could focus less on him, thus making his primary function of drawing coverage useless to the patriots, moss also kept players like Brandon Tate off the field, who they may be very high on. through 4 games, moss has been underutilized, either because he couldn't get open or because he didn't want to get open.

Perhaps the most value moss had to the patriots now was simply his name, which gained them a third round pick, and with the trade, they also clear some money off of the books.

i don't understand why this explanation cant be as likely a scenario as any. i don't need to hear 'inside' rumors about how randy moss tried to drown Bob Kraft in Gatorade before i am willing to accept the fact that he is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back