PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

REPORT: McGinest cut...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'd be sad if it comes to fruition. Hopefully they can get some numbers worked out and we can see Big 55 roaming the field until he retires. For a reasonable price, of course.

If Willie plays in another uniform I'll be simlpy sick. He's one of the true PATRIOT guys that I simply DO NOT WANT TO SEE IN JET GREEN OR BILL BLUE OR DOLPHIN TEAL. Ugh. Dude, we gotta sign this guy back. McG is the man. Think the Dolphins wouldn't want a trade of JR Seau for Willie McGinest? We better get that guy back in the fold and QUICK.

It's nothing like the Troy Brown cut last season to me. Troy at that point was nearly 'spent' as far as what his tank held and was really more of a utility player and not a starter. He played nickleback, 3rd wide and punt returner. The demand for a leader and STARTER at OLB as a pass rusher for Willie McG will be much greater than what Brown had coming his way. McG is simply a better player at a more valuable position.

IMO Willie will be cut, but a new contract is being talked about. I think/hope a contract will be worked out to allow Willie to finish his career here.

Brownfan80 said:
If Willie plays in another uniform I'll be simlpy sick. He's one of the true PATRIOT guys that I simply DO NOT WANT TO SEE IN JET GREEN OR BILL BLUE OR DOLPHIN TEAL. Ugh. Dude, we gotta sign this guy back. McG is the man. Think the Dolphins wouldn't want a trade of JR Seau for Willie McGinest? We better get that guy back in the fold and QUICK.

It's nothing like the Troy Brown cut last season to me. Troy at that point was nearly 'spent' as far as what his tank held and was really more of a utility player and not a starter. He played nickleback, 3rd wide and punt returner. The demand for a leader and STARTER at OLB as a pass rusher for Willie McG will be much greater than what Brown had coming his way. McG is simply a better player at a more valuable position.

Excellent post...this is a bad move, IMO.

I don't know what the plan is for this offseason, but whatever it is, it better be something that will make me get over the anger I feel about this move. :mad:

Willie can still play, and at a very HIGH level, IMO.

stinkypete said:
I haven't seen this anywhere else; ESPN, profootballtalk, patriots.com, only Borges seems to be reporting this.

I saw it on the bottom line of ESPN this morning

Hopefully this does turn out to be a "Troy Brown situation" from last year.

The scary thing is that Troy Brown seriously entertained other offers, even to the point where his son convinced him to sign with the Pats instead of the Saints.

Considering the whole hurricane Katrina debacle in New Orleans, I'm sure Troy is VERY happy with his decision to return to the Pats.

Let's hope Willie finds his way back.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Relax. Unlike all the ludicrous posts here about signing Givens and Adam, the Patriots have a legit shot at retaining Willie in a new contract. Yes, teams like SD could woo him away but it's not fiscally ridiculous for the Pats to retain Willie, unlike the Givens and Adam fantasies posted here time after time.

Couldn't agree more. They had to make the cut to avoid the roster bonus, and now gives us time to take in what is happening in the new market and get a deal done with him. Relax is the key word here...

vapatsfan said:
Couldn't agree more. They had to make the cut to avoid the roster bonus, and now gives us time to take in what is happening in the new market and get a deal done with him. Relax is the key word here...

Yes thats the business side of football.

DefenseRules said:
Excellent post...this is a bad move, IMO.

I don't know what the plan is for this offseason, but whatever it is, it better be something that will make me get over the anger I feel about this move. :mad:

Willie can still play, and at a very HIGH level, IMO.

So you are saying that you think he is worth 7 million this year with an 8.3 million dollar cap number - a number more than anyone on the team but Brady? If you don't think that, there is simply no way you can criticize the move.

You can't say they should have just worked out a restructure because if it was that easy, they would have done it. They tried. Len P reported a couple weeks back that they engaged in restructure talks but that they didn't go well.

The choice right now was simple - pay him 7m this year with a cap number of 8.3 or release him. It really wasn't that hard a call.

Hopefully they can re-sign him but it certainly isn't something I would count on.

Last edited:
dhamz said:
So you are saying that you think he is worth 7 million this year with an 8.3 million dollar cap number - a number more than anyone on the team but Brady? If you don't think that, there is simply no way you can criticize the move.

You can't say they should have just worked out a restructure because if it was that easy, they would have done it. They tried. Len P reported a couple weeks back that they engaged in restructure talks but that they didn't go well.

The choice right now was simple - pay him 7m this year with a cap number of 8.3 or release him. It really wasn't that hard a call.

Hopefully they can re-sign him but it certainly isn't something i would count on.

DHamz - Do you happen to have a link to that Len P article? Because that is the 1st I've heard of it.

Also, the Patriots could have paid Willie the 7 million this year by adding a 3-4 year extension and they could have cut his cap number down to about 4 million. Then, WIllie's cap hit the next few years could have been miniscule in comparison (in the 2-3 million range).

Sad news, but if it must be done... what can ya do?

Right now we have some holes we need to address and lots of other FAs coming up we need to re-sign, so if a vet like McGinest wants more than his worth, maybe we shouldn't budge?

Just wish there was a way to have kept it in house, instead of letting it happen via free agency. I guess it must have been more complicated to re-structure the old contract, and easier to do it this way? In BB we trust, and this one really calls for some trust because I'm way nervous otherwise!

McGinest was on NFL Radio a few days back and said he fully intended to be cut and then sign a one year deal with the Pats and expressed certainty that he will not play for another team.

ClosingTime said:
McGinest was on NFL Radio a few days back and said he fully intended to be cut and then sign a one year deal with the Pats and expressed certainty that he will not play for another team.
Do Trolls make gross squishy sounds when you hug them? :p

Seriously, thanks.. that's the first I've heard that I think.

DaBruinz said:
DHamz - Do you happen to have a link to that Len P article? Because that is the 1st I've heard of it.

Also, the Patriots could have paid Willie the 7 million this year by adding a 3-4 year extension and they could have cut his cap number down to about 4 million. Then, WIllie's cap hit the next few years could have been miniscule in comparison (in the 2-3 million range).

It is an insider article but here is the relevant part from the Feb 24th article:

Sources told ESPN.com this week that McGinest's contract situation for 2006 -- he is due a roster bonus of $3.5 million in early March, and a base salary of $3.5 million too, in a so-called dummy season that was added to his deal to aid the Patriots in navigating past cap difficulties -- could well make him a cap casualty. It's unlikely New England will pay the $3.5 million bonus and, with negotiations making little or no progress in recent weeks, the Patriots could, regrettably, end the longtime relationship with a player who has seen the lowest lows and the highest highs of the franchise.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2343094

Could be a sad.....sad.....

patsox23 said:
for now. Hopefully we'll bring him back into the fold. Hate to see this, though. Yuck.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...03/09/patriots_cut_ties_with_mcginest?mode=PF

sad....day in Patriot Nation......if Willie signs elsewhere.....the guy is one of the greatest Pats of all time and should retire HERE....that having been said.....Best of luck to you Willie and thanks for everything....(have two SB footballs signed by Willie.....) and I for one, SERIOUSLY hope to see you back in a pats uni next year!!!

The teams that scare me the most are Cleveland and Dallas. You know Tuna would love to steal some of our guys away from BB. I think Willie will re-sign with us. It is rare for an athlete to say they love playing somewhere and mean it. I think Willie means it!

They would have to insult him pretty badly with their offer for him to leave, IMO. That said, joining Romeo in Cleveland might be an option for Willie. RAC would probably love to have someone on the field to coach the 3-4.

The only explanation that I can think of cutting Willie when they did is that his roster bonus was due today, March 9th, 2006. Some players have language in their contract that say the player will receive their roster bonus on the xth day of the league year. Since the league year was pushed back by 8 days this year, players with such roster bonuses will get them 8 days later than originally planned. It may be that the language specify the day of the year, and not the day of the league year.

All I know is that the Pats did not need this move to get under the cap.

ClosingTime said:

This is what I'm expecting..But two years. Is Willie really gonna hang em up in 07?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back