PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Mankins, Spikes, Vollmer, Pryor, Fells, Ballard start camp on active/PUP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to see Waters at TC. Connolly,Gallery and Cannon should be able to step in for Mankins and Vollmer for a bit assuming Koppen can hold down the Center spot.

If Vollmer and Mankins aren't practicing by late August, I'll be a bit concerned they will start season on PUP.:bricks:

Is there reason to think Waters wont be there? I know he used his vet liberties and skipped mini camps but if he is planning on playing this year I would think being here at the start of camp would be mandatory and since there has been no retirement announcement yet I assume he will be there. right?

Am I miss-remembering, or do we go through this every camp? Fat guys can't run the sprints in the allotted time. Seems like much ado about nothing.

PUP and NFI lists from the last few training camps:

2011: Ron Brace, Brandon Deaderick, Aaron Hernandez, Myron Pryor and Ty Warren on active/PUP; James Sanders and Mike Berry on active/NFI.

2010: Wes Welker, Shawn Crable and Kade Weston on active/PUP.

2009: Shawn Crable, Mark LeVoir, Rich Ohrnberger, Darryl Richard and Ty Warren on active/PUP; Shawn Springs and Brandon Tate on active/NFI.

2008: Jarvis Green, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Ellis Hobbs, Nick Kaczur, Stephen Neal, Oliver Ross, Bo Ruud, Mike Vrabel, Wes Welker, Ryan Wendell and Mike Wright on active/PUP.

2007: Troy Brown, Justise Hairston, Chad Jackson, Eddie Jackson, Mel Mitchell, Richard Seymour and David Thomas on active/PUP.

Is there reason to think Waters wont be there? I know he used his vet liberties and skipped mini camps but if he is planning on playing this year I would think being here at the start of camp would be mandatory and since there has been no retirement announcement yet I assume he will be there. right?

I hope you're right :)

Just haven't heard anything about Waters in a long time. :eek:

I want to see Waters at TC. Connolly,Gallery and Cannon should be able to step in for Mankins and Vollmer for a bit assuming Koppen can hold down the Center spot.

If Vollmer and Mankins aren't practicing by late August, I'll be a bit concerned they will start season on PUP.:bricks:

Mankins is going to start the season on the PUP. He's barely past 5 months post op on his ACL repair/replacement. He's not expected back until mid October.

Vollmer is the one I agree with you on.

Re: Pats place 6 players on PUP

Now is it just me or does undefeated seem more possible this year than it did in 08??
You must mean 07. I think this offense will be equal to the 07 offense. Less deep threat but more diversity and better red zone efficiency.

I don't think it's out of bounds to mention 16-0. Somebody has to beat them and that isn't going to be easy. They could have a Browns Moment this year but otherwise they're gonna kick the crap out of a lot of teams. Sure, they'll probably lose one or two but hey, who knows?

I don't really care if they reach 16-0 again. That is a like a side show. I'd almost like it better if they lost one early, something to keep the young guys' heads screwed on straight. Whatever, they have to finish.

What's the deal with Pryor? Still not healthy from last year? I like this guy but it is so annoying how injury prone he is.

What's the deal with Pryor? Still not healthy from last year? I like this guy but it is so annoying how injury prone he is.

Agreed. We may never really see the possible potential that he has if he doesn't get healthy..and soon.

On the other hand, maybe it is just precautionary due to his injury and surgery from last year, and he will be taken off the list within a week or two.

You must mean 07. I think this offense will be equal to the 07 offense. Less deep threat but more diversity and better red zone efficiency.

I don't think it's out of bounds to mention 16-0. Somebody has to beat them and that isn't going to be easy. They could have a Browns Moment this year but otherwise they're gonna kick the crap out of a lot of teams. Sure, they'll probably lose one or two but hey, who knows?

I don't really care if they reach 16-0 again. That is a like a side show. I'd almost like it better if they lost one early, something to keep the young guys' heads screwed on straight. Whatever, they have to finish.

I actually think that he does mean 2008, BR.

The bar was set high during the previous 07 season, and we all were pretty 'sure' that it was going to be a great yr, until the 1st quarter injury to TFB.

Mankins is going to start the season on the PUP. He's barely past 5 months post op on his ACL repair/replacement. He's not expected back until mid October.

Vollmer is the one I agree with you on.

While you very well may be correct on Mankins, there were conflicting reports regarding his progress and no one really knows at this point in time.

Either way, he was certainly going to start the TC/preseason period on PUP no matter what.

While the odds are not too great for Mankins being ready week one, he isn't necessarily a sure thing to start the year on PUP and miss the first 6-7 games just yet. Ultimately, you are probably right though.

The McDonald news is a little disappointing; I thought he played well in limited time last year. Hopefully he'll be able to come off PUP soon. Personally I think he has more upside than Wendell. With Waters not in camp and Mankins recovering from his ACL it leaves them a bit thin at guard; I'm thinking the next roster move is likely to add another interior offensive lineman.

You say that our offense will be equal to 2007. And you say that it is NOT out of bounds to mention 16-0.

However, you don't mention our defense. The 2007 defense was the #4 defense in the nil. What do you expect of this defense?

It's to the frustration stage for sure. Same with Brace. Such potential and such disappointment. I just remember Pryor being a very effective pass rusher from the interior, a quick type of burst, and able to disrupt the play. Jeezuz, what a waste. So maybe this is the "put up" year for both of these guys. I mean how long can you retain guys that just can't get out there and play?

You say that our offense will be equal to 2007. And you say that it is NOT out of bounds to mention 16-0.

However, you don't mention our defense. The 2007 defense was the #4 defense in the nil. What do you expect of this defense?
I love the FA pickups this year (Fanene especially) and I loved the draft. They won't be dragged down for six games like they were with Haynesworth. I thought he destroyed that defense and their stats for the rest of the year. But I'm a points guy, not a yards guy and they did not allow that many points to be called a last place defense. They played very well in the playoffs. They knocked loose three fumbles versus the Giants and it was only Lady Luck that keep those from being the difference.

And that was a very suspect defense. This tells me what miracles Bill can make.

I see some guys emerging like Spikes and Love that are going to make this defense very tough up front. I love the idea of a slimmed down Vince and an emphasis on his skills as a pass rusher. I think the league is going to be shocked at how good these guys are.

Motivationally I think they are peaking because Bill is highly energized as this Brady window begins to close. I see a lot of energy being directed in the right places, and that no stone was left unturned during the off season. These guys crossed their T's and dotted their I's. Majorly. A+.

Are they as good as 2007? Hmmm, it will be interesting to see later. Maybe not, but don't forget that in 2007 they had a major hole up the seam that many mediocre offenses fully exploited (like the Eagles with Jay Feeley.) The difference this year will be the offense. It will not be as one dimensional as the 2007 offense. Defenses will not be able to double one or two receivers and think the game is over. This team will adapt like a virus to whatever a defense takes away. Let them take away Wes. Who cares?

So basically I don't see a defense out there that is guaranteed to shut down the Pats offense. Not at all. I see some defenses that CAN shut them down if they have a collective bad day, but the schedule looks fully expolitable by a motivated Pats if they develop that kind of character.

Motivationally I think they are peaking because Bill is highly energized as this Brady window begins to close. I see a lot of energy being directed in the right places, and that no stone was left unturned during the off season.

Spot on Banana Boy!

You nailed it. That slacker Belichick has been resting on his laurels since 2004. Glad to see him finally 'highly energized' again and focused on football!

My concern is a little elsewhere, not Who but When.

I suspect that Pats will have an awesome Offensive line by the Playoffs. But the meat of the schedule is the first five games, IMHO.

I suspect that the line for those games, will be Solder, Gallery, Connolly, Waters and Cannon before Volmer and Mankins return. Although talented, Solder and Canon wil be starting without a lot of experience; and Gallery will be new to the Team.

I hope that they are up to it.

I have see few OL issues, even with both Mankins and Vollmer out to start the season. We clearly have the best OL depth in the nfl.

Solder, Connolly, Koppen, Waters, Gallery might our strongest OL if both Mankins and Vollmer are out, with Cannon, Wendell and McDonald available as backups.

My concern is a little elsewhere, not Who but When.

I suspect that Pats will have an awesome Offensive line by the Playoffs. But the meat of the schedule is the first five games, IMHO.

I suspect that the line for those games, will be Solder, Gallery, Connolly, Waters and Cannon before Volmer and Mankins return. Although talented, Solder and Canon wil be starting without a lot of experience; and Gallery will be new to the Team.

I hope that they are up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back