PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: LB Jonathan Casillas acquired by Patriots from Tampa Bay at trade deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I hope not :/ That would be a big hit to the ST unit. Although maybe Bolden can pick up the slack. He made some plays on special teams this week. He is channeling larry izzo! I think I saw him take a dump on the side lines last game ;)

New guy Jones has made some big hits

"He's a good linebacker," said Mark Dominik, the former Bucs general manager who signed Casillas. "[He] will provide real depth and is a top-tier special teams player."

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/patriots-trade-buccaneers-lb-casillas

When the deal is completed, it will be the third trade between the Patriots and Buccaneers in the last three years. Before the 2012 deadline, the Patriots acquired Aqib Talib for a fourth-round pick. Just before the start of this season, the Bucs sent tight end Tim Wright and a fourth-round pick to New England in exchange for veteran guard Logan Mankins.

What about Demps for blount?

Why do people think so highly of Bolden on Special Teams? The guy takes bad penalties and doesn't make tackles.

Apparently "people" includes BB, who has kept him on all four ST units.

Woo-hooooo!!!! Glendale here we come!!!!

ummm who? Oh yeah him...SB bound baby

Well he is not here to take Ebner's spot it looks like cause they cut an OL man.

Maybe just a depth move after all. I don't mind. Skinner is not close to ready.

Also it means to me they like what they see from Revis and plan to resign him. If they signed a big time FA they couldn't have afforded him.

Fast, rangy, versatile hybrid backup linebacker? Sounds like a nice pickup considering the extremely low cost. Even if it only means the backend LB depth is better, I'm totally happy with it.

And Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers and Alex Carrington and Barrett Jones....some of my binkies down the years!
- Greg Robinson
- Travon Austin
- Robert Quinn
- Aaron Donald
- Michael Brockers
- Tre Mason
- Mark Barron
- Alec Ogletree
- Janoris Jenkins
- Barrett Jones

The young talent runs deep in St Louis, if only they had a QB.

Casillas is a fine pickup considering we essentially trade 10-15 draft slots to acquire him. He is good enough to be our #3 LB.

- Greg Robinson
- Travon Austin
- Robert Quinn
- Aaron Donald
- Michael Brockers
- Tre Mason
- Mark Barron
- Alec Ogletree
- Janoris Jenkins
- Barrett Jones

The young talent runs deep in St Louis, if only they had a QB.
Only 5 teams have allowed more points. It's not just the QB.

Decent pick up. A player with a noticeable skillset, one fair season on record, a solid amount of experience (at a point in his career where experience can begin to help mask deficiencies). A player that is a position, generally, of need for the Patriots.

Let's see what he can do within a highly professional, structured, winning environment. If he flops? The cost is very very little.

Let's see what he can do within a highly professional, structured, winning environment. If he flops? The cost is very very little.

Casillas has done well in such an environment previously, with New Orleans. Joe Vitt had this to say about him in 2012:

'Speed. Quickness. Range. Great space tackler,' Vitt said. 'He has good hands. And I think he is really mature where he can pattern read now. He has had a positive growth experience.'

http://www.wwltv.com/story/sports/nfl/saints/2014/09/03/14536962/

Casillas reportedly had 4.41 speed clocked at Wisconsin, and I believe he was timed around 4.61 when recovering from his knee injury in 2009. He's a fast, smart and versatile player who can do a lot of things if he can stay healthy, which has generally been an issue. He missed time at Wisconsin with knee injuries, missed 2010 with a Lisfranc injury, missed the end of 2011 with a knee sprain, and has been banged up with Tampa Bay. But in a situational/reserve role, he may be able to give us what we had hoped to get from James Anderson. He's reportedly a decent blitzer, and he can probably play a LB/S role. Add in Akeem Ayers, and BB has nicely added to the depth at the LB position for a minimal cost.

Last edited:
Casillas has done well in such an environment previously, with New Orleans. Joe Vitt had this to say about him in 2012:

http://www.wwltv.com/story/sports/nfl/saints/2014/09/03/14536962/

Casillas reported had 4.41 speed clocked at Wisconsin, and I believe he was timed around 4.61 when recovering from his knee injury in 2009. He's a fast, smart and versatile player who can do a lot of things if he can stay healthy, which has generally been an issue. He missed time at Wisconsin with knee injuries, missed 2010 with a Lisfranc injury, missed the end of 2011 with a knee sprain, and has been banged up with Tampa Bay. But in a situational/reserve role, he may be able to give us what we had hoped to get from James Anderson. He's a decent blitzer, and he can probably play a LB/S role. Add in Akeem Ayers, and BB has nicely added to the depth at the LB position for a minimal cost.

Where is it indicated he is a decent blitzer? I checked his stats and his sack total is pretty anemic. Is there any stats to suggest he has caused a tangible amount of 'hurries and hits' in the modest amount of plays he has been in on?

I agree that he can be that LB depth for specific roles. Unfortunately his track record so far suggests it is more unknown than anything as to if he will be that LB depth. With that said I'm on board with seeing what he can do......

New guy Jones has made some big hits

Definitely worth noting that about Jones. He shares the same name with a friend of mine so his name called on TV tends to stick out. Jones definitely has had a few moments on STs that were "tackle/play made by Jones" noteworthy.....

Where is it indicated he is a decent blitzer? I checked his stats and his sack total is pretty anemic. Is there any stats to suggest he has caused a tangible amount of 'hurries and hits' in the modest amount of plays he has been in on?

I agree that he can be that LB depth for specific roles. Unfortunately his track record so far suggests it is more unknown than anything as to if he will be that LB depth. With that said I'm on board with seeing what he can do......

Regarding Casillas' blitzing, I'm going mainly by what Andy Benoit has said on the MMQB. For example, in his preview of TB this year, Benoit wrote:

At linebacker, Smith understands the importance of guys who can run, having coached Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs. He has one in Lavonte David, who has a chance to be as good as anyone Smith’s ever coached. David brings good short area athleticism, scintillating speed and range and a nose for the ball that’s punctuated by quick closing ability on tackles. He also happens to be a dynamite blitzer who’s coming off a seven-sack season. Considering that Jonathan Casillas is also a potent blitzer, Smith may be tempted to diverge from some of his straight four-man rushes in certain third-down situations.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/07/30/nfl-tampa-bay-buccaneers-2014-team-preview/

Benoit has made other statements about Casillas' blitzing. I don't have hurry and hit stats, and I confess that I haven't watched enough film of him to be able to form a personal judgment. I should have qualified my original statement with "reportedly", and will so amend it.

Regarding Casillas' blitzing, I'm going mainly by what Andy Benoit has said on the MMQB. For example, in his preview of TB this year, Benoit wrote:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/07/30/nfl-tampa-bay-buccaneers-2014-team-preview/

Benoit has made other statements about Casillas' blitzing. I don't have hurry and hit stats, and I confess that I haven't watched enough film of him to be able to form a personal judgment. I should have qualified my original statement with "reportedly", and will so amend it

No worries. I was hoping you had seen some of the more drilled down stats to suggest his blitzing prowess had stats to back it up (something that would have make this signing extra solid).
But that's alright, let's now see him make a few stats and show what Benoit seems to believe is possible......

Alright are we going to sign that kid Branch or what??

Probably. After he loses some Lard and can pass the qualification workout.

Belichick wants him fit for the Playoffs.

who?

should of kept dane fletcher!!

It should be noted for comparison's sake that Tampa signing Fletcher to that 1-year, $2 million contract gives the Pats a shot at a 6th round compensatory selection, which Miguel projects they'll get. On the draft chart the value of a late 6th is ~5.0.

The Pats' late 5th is ~24. An early 6th is ~19. A difference of 5 points.

So on the draft chart, letting Fletcher go to Tampa and then trading for Casillas from Tampa is nearly a straight swap of one oft-injured coverage backer for another oft-injured coverage backer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back