PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Josh McDaniels Plans To Leave Patriots, Pursue Head-Coaching Job In 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Pats didn't make the playoffs in the 2008 season, and McDaniels was hired to begin 2009. His work with Matt Cassel is part of what made him a hot commodity at that time.
Oh, I must be thinking of some other time. Or maybe I'm thinking of BoB.

Not so fast on the Lions. They need to make a decision on Stafford and their GM is fmr Pats FO guy Bob Quinn.

Historically they are a fairly patient family with coaches and GMs that suck.
Fair enough, I was just thinking of perennially ****ty teams.

So that's why there was a NEM sighting ... he will replace Josh.

Why do some many want to trade Garappolo? Hate so say it but Tom's playing days are numbered and I'd think you would want to keep the train rolling when that time comes.

Report: Josh McDaniels Plans To Leave Patriots

JNx6_f-maxage-0.gif

No surprise at all, he'll be missed though. Tremendous coordinator despite some of the **** he has taken from the fan base.

I think he's a tremendous co-ordinator now, clearly he learnt a lot in his time away and since he's been back.

Before he left for Denver, he wasn't all that. IMO. He's always been a great QB coach, but his play-calling and gameplanning weren't brilliant.

That said, now, I think he's the best in the league by a mile. He'll be a huge loss, when he leaves.

That's a recipe for ending up like every other coach in the NFL. The biggest thing Bill has proven is the importance of total control of the system.
it works for belichick because he's a football savant on every aspect of the game. i'd argue that most head coaches can't handle the responsibility of being coach and GM simultaneously, and the jury is out on whether mcdaniels can do it.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Why do some many want to trade Garappolo? Hate so say it but Tom's playing days are numbered and I'd think you would want to keep the train rolling when that time comes.
It's simple math really, Brady is making too much to be traded or cut for this year and next. No way is Bill willingly taking on double digit in millions of dead money. Grop's contract is good for one more year which makes him attractive to potential trade partners who can test him out 1 year for cheap before signing him to a long term market deal (Brock's 18 million seems to be a good comparison). So there are really two options, Trade Grop now, or end of the season, for (looking at what desperate teams trade for potential franchise guys) maybe a top 15 pick plus change or keep him thru 2017 and get in a bidding war when he is a FA and maybe get a end of the round 3rd. The plus side of the second option is if you see any decline in Brady in the next two years he becomes tradable or he retires. Also having that caliber of a back up for a 40 year old QB can't be counted as a bad thing. Not sure if Grop would be willing to go back to holding a clipboard after having a taste of running a team but that's speculation at best.

The people who want to trade Grop (I am one of them) have seen Brady beat the odds too many times to assume he will not still be a top 5 Super Bowl capable QB for the next two years. It's all about maximizing the return on investments and Grops trade value will never be higher especially if he plays well Sunday. The extension Brady signed tells me Bill has seen zero decline in Brady and has faith in him being the QB for the next 3 years. At which point Brisket's contract becomes due and we go thru this all again. I love what I have seen from Grop and believe he can be a top 10 QB in this league, however Brady is still better and will be IMO for at least the next 2 years. Best way to maximize Brady's value is having a monster team around him. Top 15 pick you are talking about adding a Seymour or a Mayo or a young Dillion in his prime. It's rolling the dice no question but I have seen enough from Brisket to be curious where he will be at in 3 years, better then Brady? Maybe. Different player of course which will require a different offense but I think he COULD be a winner. When I say better then Brady I mean better then 42 year old Brady not prime Brady cuz he is the GOAT and I do not see that potential in Brisket.

So to sum up the business part says you can't keep both without crippling the cap, trading Grop maximizes Brady's remaining time here, and Brisket looks promising with a more reasonable time frame for Brady to retire going out on top.

Last edited:
McDaniels might have had a big swing and miss with Tebow, but he sure got it right when he sent Cutler packing.

I thought he was a little young to have the power to "buy the groceries". I'm sure he will do better at his next stop.

I'm guessing the following teams will be looking for a new HC after this season:

Chicago (no to a Cutler reunion)
Buffalo (yikes)
Jets (could get ugly)
Jacksonville
Detroit
Cincinnati (Lewis won't be able to withstand another season without a playoff win)

how is this news? wasn't he always waiting for the right job?

Couple of things that were said that the media is ignoring to get a sound bite...IF the RIGHT opportunity presents itself. Josh clearly loves his job, loves the area, and is in a great situation right now. Incredible skill players and working with the GOAT QB again next week, with the best run organization in football. 2nd shots at being a HC are very rare and 3rd shots are unheard of so I am positive Josh is being very very careful with his decisions. Most teams looking for a new HC are the type of ****ty organization I am sure are crossed right off the list. The Browns, Redskins, and Lions of the league. The only type of job I could see appealing to Josh would be something like Cincinnati if they are tired of Lewis' mediocrity. Decent QB that could be coached up, an all pro WR and a generally underperforming team that just needs a few tweaks. Plus look at the job security, how many 8-8 seasons has Marvin Lewis survived? Short of that I think the Pro's of NE far outwiegh the Con's and Josh is going nowhere. As others have pointed out he does have a young family that loves the area so it's going to take a massive offer I do not believe he gets for another couple years.

Another thing about Cincy ownership -- it's heard of Paul Brown. :)

I hope he never finds another job. He's the best OC in the league and second place isn't even remotely close. However, should he find himself considering employment elsewhere, I would think that Detroit and Jacksonville would be attractive landing spots. Both have young and talented QB's and, even though Bortles is struggling, he doesn't look like he's regressing and can be worked with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back