Welcome to PatsFans.com

Report: Iraq child mortality rate soars

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, May 8, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

If only these kids were fetuses, the right wing might be more concerned.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070508/ap_on_he_me/child_deaths;_ylt=AsmvgmGivmaY1sIoeUZIyzfVJRIF

LONDON - The chance that an Iraqi child will live beyond age 5 has plummeted faster than anywhere else in the world since 1990, according to a report released Tuesday, which placed the country last in its child survival rankings.

One in eight Iraqi children died of disease or violence before reaching their fifth birthday in 2005, according to the report by Save the Children, which said Iraq ranked last because it had made the least progress toward improving child survival rates.

Iraq's mortality rate has soared by 150 percent since 1990. Even before the latest war, Iraq was plagued by electricity shortages, a lack of clean water and too few hospitals.
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Don't you mean Judeo-Christian fetuses?
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +109 / 7 / -10

Where did they get their data? That type of child mortality rate seems to be an over the top claim?

Sounds like some of the feminist orgs who made claims about abuse during the Super Bowl that when examined 'showed' a third of the women in the country were attacked during the SB.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

So basically you're saying that the left wing doesn't give a sh!t about unborn children then?
  5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

well, if you actually clicked on the link and read the story and followed the links therein, you would know that "Save the Children" conducted the study...

The report includes the first-ever Child Survival Progress Rankings of 60 developing countries, which together account for 94 percent of all child deaths worldwide​
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I looked at the PDf and they don't explain their methodology real well. All they do is tell you where they got some of their figures, but don't explain their statistical conclusions. Obviously any life lost, nevermind it being a childs, is tragic. However, with a title like "Save the Children", I'd think you have to apply a touch of salt.
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

That's fairly accurate, since we don't regard the unborn as children, and would rather invest our resources into helping the already born. But, of course, the great thing about the unborn is that you can act compassionate without having to worry about it costing you anything -- just pass a law denying women rights over their own bodies.
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

What's the matter? Their report doesn't suit your political agenda, so you attack them? How convenient. I'm sure kids have it great in Iraq. Must be a nice place to raise a family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_the_children
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

That's because you have no compassion. You'd prefer to crush infant skulls than save them.

[​IMG]
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Um, again, like I said, any loss of life is tragic. I don't doubt for one second that the mortality rate for kids in those parts of the world couldn't use helping. ANY LOSS IS TRAGIC. That being said, do I think that a site with the name "Save the Children" might use figures that are a tad more inflated than true? Yeah I do. Does that mean they are fudging the numbers, or that I am "attacking" them? Absolutely not, it just means that I have a touch of common sense.
  11. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

I think he's saying that he might be more concerned if the babies that are killed over here were Iraqis :rolleyes: