PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Gronk to take his sweet time coming back from ACL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He currently has a torn ACL fom which it standard operating procedure to make it back after an offseason, barring setback. It is what it is, I doubt BB will think highly of him taking longer to return than he should. We'll see how it goes.

Point of information. Gronkowski tore his ACL and MCL. They had to wait nearly 4 weeks to let the swelling go down before he had surgery. It's unclear whether they started any rehab on the leg during that time. If they did, then that is good news.. If not, then that means Gronk will have gone nearly 2 months (December & January) without any strength training on that leg and will probably have lost some muscle mass out of his thigh.

If he lost muscle mass off of his thigh, that is likely to lengthen his rehab time since they'll want to make sure that he's got full range of motion and have rebuilt that lost muscle mass.

The doctors will tell Bill. Watch Jake Long, his surgery was later we'll see who plays first.

The doctors told Bill about the forearm, too. I'm reasonably certain about how Gronk feels regarding such a system now.

He's tough physically, not mentally. He's scared of getting injured. We saw it in the Jacksonville game in his first game back from his original broken arm. It was shocking to see a big stud playing so soft to protect himself. I haven't played football in a long time (HS was a long time ago) so I have no right to judge him - but I will anyway. He's soft mentally when it comes to getting hurt. But when he does get banged up, he is tough in terms of playing through pain.

Brady went through the same thing when he came back. I remember watching the Pats playing the Bills week 1 of '09 and thinking TFB didn't look like his old self. I'm sure Gronk will bounce back to being his old physical self. It just takes time. I mean, look at Brady.

The quote was :

"Gronkowski will “take his time and then take more time”

After the time he took last year and the anonymous quotes, you don't have to be a doctor to see where this is heading. That's all I'm saying. Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong but he's going to be back later than most in his situation.

Does anyone blame with? With all that has happened...we don't need him in the beginning of the reg season.

This is such a non issue for me

Which is why I said allegedly in my first post. But you have to admit it doesn't seem far fecthed based on last years return. I am not saying he is no good just that if he pulls it again he will drop on my list of favorite players.

I don't have to admit anything. What I know is he has a large family and a lot of hangers on that love to get in front of the mike or pen. Source close to Gronk get's a lol from me.

The quote was :

"Gronkowski will “take his time and then take more time”

After the time he took last year and the anonymous quotes, you don't have to be a doctor to see where this is heading. That's all I'm saying. Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong but he's going to be back later than most in his situation.

Who was quoted Bfan? Are they in on his medical treatment? Do they get updates from Gronk? Who is this person you trust implicitly?

The doctors will tell Bill. Watch Jake Long, his surgery was later we'll see who plays first.
That's actually an excellent idea. Given that the medical teams have mutually diagnosed both players and determined their injuries are miraculously identical in every way. We can set a date on the calendar now.

There are four thick bands of tissue, called ligaments, that stabilize the knee and keep its movement in one plane.
The medial collateral ligament (MCL) and the lateral collateral ligament (LCL) stabilize the sides of the knee preventing side to side buckling.
The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) form an X on the inside of the knee joint and prevent the knee from sliding back to front and front to back respectively.
The major muscles of the thigh also act as stabilizers: the quadriceps in the front of the leg and the hamstrings in the back.

A sprain occurs when a ligament is injured and the fibers are either stretched or torn. A first-degree sprain is a ligament that is stretched but with no fibers torn, while a second-degree sprain is a partially torn ligament. A third-degree sprain is a completely torn ligament.

Gronk should be placed on in-season PUP at the end of TC, so that the decision on playing/not playing
would not be left up to him.

I looked up what goes into ACL reconstruction. They saw out about a 1 cm wide piece of the bottom of the knee cap and the tendon connecting it to the bone from the middle of it. They then sow that hole they made shut. They then drill a hole through both long bones (femur and tibia) and drive that wedge they removed through it. After that they take a screw and screw it right into the bone on both ends. The athlete is not able to move that joint for weeks while the repair gets cemented. During that time, all the muscles on that extremity get atrophied due to disuse.

I do not know about you guys, but that seems extremely painful from injury to post-op to recovery/rehab.. The first game that Gronk returns I believe be his absolute worst game in his career. He is going to be afraid to cut or to even potentially get touched on the knee. You see it with athletes all the time and even Brady's first real game back was pretty rough. There is an aspect of mentally getting over the injury. You saw that mentioned many times in that documentary on the 2009 Pats.

I think if the Gronk is back by week 4-6 and back to form 2-3 games later, I would consider that satisfactory in my mind.

Someone asked about people who have experienced ACL tears. My ACL tear took about 18 months to totally heal up, but I should provide a few caveats:

1. The injury occurred in 1999
2. I rushed to try and get back during physical therapy and delayed my recovery
3. I was playing hockey, not football
4. Being in Canada and not a multi-million dollar asset, I did not have access to doctors the way that Gronk does

After I was done, I was more or less normal, and even today I can pretty much do whatever (run, lift, etc), though I do feel a slight tweak if I'm doing my back squats improperly.

As for Gronk, I get the trepidation on his part. You definitely don't want to get hurt again, not because you're being a pansy, but because you don't want to rush back, get hurt, and miss MORE time. I am ok with his approach, personally.

I looked up what goes into ACL reconstruction. They saw out about a 1 cm wide piece of the bottom of the knee cap and the tendon connecting it to the bone from the middle of it. They then sow that hole they made shut. They then drill a hole through both long bones (femur and tibia) and drive that wedge they removed through it. After that they take a screw and screw it right into the bone on both ends. The athlete is not able to move that joint for weeks while the repair gets cemented. During that time, all the muscles on that extremity get atrophied due to disuse.

I do not know about you guys, but that seems extremely painful from injury to post-op to recovery/rehab.. The first game that Gronk returns I believe be his absolute worst game in his career. He is going to be afraid to cut or to even potentially get touched on the knee. You see it with athletes all the time and even Brady's first real game back was pretty rough. There is an aspect of mentally getting over the injury. You saw that mentioned many times in that documentary on the 2009 Pats.

I think if the Gronk is back by week 4-6 and back to form 2-3 games later, I would consider that satisfactory in my mind.

I had 3rd degree tears in both my knees in 2nd grade and still trudged back and forth to school in 3 feet of snow uphill both ways.

Put down the steaks, suck it up and get back to work cupcake!

Who was quoted Bfan? Are they in on his medical treatment? Do they get updates from Gronk? Who is this person you trust implicitly?
This thread is ABOUT that article. If the quote is bad the thread is useless.

You guys crack me up with your definitions from medical journals, your own experiences, etc. Rarely, these days, do players not make it back from ACL surgery with a full offseason. Gronk will likely be one of the exceptions.

I had 3rd degree tears in both my knees in 2nd grade and still trudged back and forth to school in 3 feet of snow uphill both ways.

Put down the steaks, suck it up and get back to work cupcake!

Good for you. Since when is walking in snow comparable to playing NFL level football?

I had my ACL reconstructed a few years ago and I was playing sports again after about 9 months. Took me about 12 months to get back to normal.

Comparing Gronk's injury with Jake Long's is actually a terrible idea. Playing Oline and TE are completely different; how do you think Mankins played an entire season with an ACL injury? Gronk needs to cut and change direction a lot more than Long, hence it might take Gronk longer to recover.

Comparing Gronk's injury with Jake Long's is actually a terrible idea. Playing Oline and TE are completely different; how do you think Mankins played an entire season with an ACL injury? Gronk needs to cut and change direction a lot more than Long, hence it might take Gronk longer to recover.
Fine, Welker then. His surgery was later. I'm not trying to be a hater, but it appeared he took extra precautions last time and it sounds like his camp is leaking info about it happening again. Maybe calling him mentally soft was over stating it but he does appear to be more catious about returning quickly than most NFL players.

Fine, Welker then. His surgery was later. I'm not trying to be a hater, but it appeared he took extra precautions last time and it sounds like his camp is leaking info about it happening again. Maybe calling him mentally soft was over stating it but he does appear to be more catious about returning quickly than most NFL players.

Welker took until the following season to get back to being Welker, and his numbers reflected that.

Gronk injured! In other news water is discovered to be wet!

This has been going on for years and will continue to go on, the only solution is to get another TE who can be effective and keep the offense moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes