PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Gronk to take his sweet time coming back from ACL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When this injury occurred, I was predicting very much the same thing. I received an awful lot of criticism, insults and personal attacks for having that opinion.

Now, roughly 6 months later, I am more sure that I was right. The people who were insulting me, however, have gotten awfully quiet.
how long did welker take to come back? He tore his week 17 and he was back week 1.

This won't sit well with BB or Brady. It isn't appropriate value to pay him like a top tight end for a few games a season. I think BB can forgive injury absence but to hold yourself out extra time is not gonna fly.

Brady as well was clearly sick of this crap last year when he was leaking to Aikman that Gronk looks like the best player on the practice field every week.

how long did welker take to come back? He tore his week 17 and he was back week 1.

and how long did it really take for him to get back into form?

Correct if I'm wrong, but we're not talking aobut Wes Welker, are we?

Not surprising he had surgery January 9th but there's definitively hope he'll be back by the beginning of the season

Hopefully we don't decide our roster based on your book.
My two strikes had nothing to do with roster building but more my opinion of Gronk. If this attitude continues I will find it harder and harder to call him one of my favorite players though his skill will still very much so warrant a roster spot.

The fact that he allegedly feels it's ok for his teammates to risk their career and bodies but he doesn't feel the urgency pisses me off to no end.

If he really pulls this again he will really go down several notches in my book.
An athlete's body is his tool of the trade. Gronkowski can and should take as long as it takes to return to health. Further to that, when he is mentally ready to cut on his knee and has faith that his body won't fail him, then and only then, should he return.

When he's on the field and doesn't have time to think there's no problem. That play was just reactionary. When he has time to think it through it's fairly clear he leans to the conservative (soft) side. Hopefully that report wasn't true. History suggests it was.

Maybe he's had trouble with injuries before?
My two strikes had nothing to do with roster building but more my opinion of Gronk. If this attitude continues I will find it harder and harder to call him one of my favorite players though his skill will still very much so warrant a roster spot.

You mean the attitude you're assuming from an article that doesn't quote him?

As I said on the other thread, he's going to be this decade's Antwan Harris. Remember him, the DB whose nickname in the clubhouse was "Puddin'" because he was so soft ? I shouldn't say anything until the season begins but if this is true, he's the softest big guy ever. The arm was one thing as it was somewhat mysterious and unusual. Torn ACL ? Barring setbacks he has plenty of time to get ready based on other players.

Say it 'ain't so Gronk. Meow.
Are you serious?

These aren't headaches and stubbed toes he's suffering from. He's had back surgery, broken bones, and torn ligaments. I'd prefer he play through a postseason healthy than rush back for the regular season.

Despite the clamoring of the internet tough guys, this is a smart approach for Gronkowski.

Are you serious?

These aren't headaches and stubbed toes he's suffering from. He's had back surgery, broken bones, and torn ligaments. I'd prefer he play through a postseason healthy than rush back for the regular season.
He currently has a torn ACL fom which it standard operating procedure to make it back after an offseason, barring setback. It is what it is, I doubt BB will think highly of him taking longer to return than he should. We'll see how it goes.

He currently has a torn ACL fom which it standard operating procedure to make it back after an offseason, barring setback. It is what it is, I doubt BB will think highly of him taking longer to return than he should. We'll see how it goes.
I could see that being true if this was his first injury, or if he routinely was suffering from small stuff. I'm sure Belichick understands that Gronk is young, and early in his career and would like to be around for a few years. On top of that, we've seen what a disabled, or unavailable Gronk does for the team in the playoffs. I doubt Belichick is going to be too upset with his second best player being overly cautious with his health.

There is no "should" when it comes to ACLs. That's abundantly clear from even a casual glance at the recent post-ops.

I could see that being true if this was his first injury, or if he routinely was suffering from small stuff. I'm sure Belichick understands that Gronk is young, and early in his career and would like to be around for a few years. On top of that, we've seen what a disabled, or unavailable Gronk does for the team in the playoffs. I doubt Belichick is going to be too upset with his second best player being overly cautious with his health.
At this point he's coming back from a torn ACL, the rest should be in the past.

To be clear, if he legitimately needs 4 weeks or whatever into the regular season then so be it. However it was ABUNDANTLY clear from the leaks last year some of his team mates thought he was milking it. And the wording in the linked article suggests he plans the same. If he needs it, he needs it. If he doesn't he doesn't. I may be wrong but it appears that what his mind thinks he needs isn't always what his body needs.

If he needs it, he needs it. If he doesn't he doesn't. I may be wrong but it appears that what his mind thinks he needs isn't always what his body needs.

Well, you'll let us know when he's actually ready, won't you?

You mean the attitude you're assuming from an article that doesn't quote him?
Which is why I said allegedly in my first post. But you have to admit it doesn't seem far fecthed based on last years return. I am not saying he is no good just that if he pulls it again he will drop on my list of favorite players.

I don't think what week he actually comes back is the problem it's the idea that he isn't going to rush back. He should want to and be doing everything humanly possible to get back as soon as possible. It's not how much time it takes but the idea he will take his time.

Did you stop to think that maybe your interpretation of Kyed's quote of Freeman's interpretation is what is messed up?

Did you stop to think that maybe the reason for so many surgeries on the arm was because he tried to rush things? It's actually very normal for a person to be cautious with an injury after proving that one way (rushing back) did more harm than good. I can speak from personal experience with my ACL. I tried to rush back and I ended up not taking care of it properly and ended up having to have it scoped a year later. After the scope, I insisted on taking it slow because I didn't want to have to go through ANOTHER surgery and lose time.

It's not the unfortunate break or even how long he actually takes to get back that pisses me off but the idea he is going to take his time rather than do everything possible to make it faster. He is soft and thinks he deserves special treatment...that's 2 strikes in my book.

Really? Where do you get that he thinks he deserves "special treatment"? Could you show me where they quoted Gronk?

Furthermore, it is clear that you equate "taking your time" with being lazy. It's also clear that you've probably never had an injury that didn't heal properly because of something you did or might have done.

Taking your time with an injury = doing what needs to be done without re-injuring it. Why? Because as we know, re-injuring it makes the issue worse.

Your quick judgments about Gronk say more about you than they do about Gronk.

Well, you'll let us know when he's actually ready, won't you?
The doctors will tell Bill. Watch Jake Long, his surgery was later we'll see who plays first.

Really? Where do you get that he thinks he deserves "special treatment"? Could you show me where they quoted Gronk?

Furthermore, it is clear that you equate "taking your time" with being lazy. It's also clear that you've probably never had an injury that didn't heal properly because of something you did or might have done.

Taking your time with an injury = doing what needs to be done without re-injuring it. Why? Because as we know, re-injuring it makes the issue worse.

Your quick judgments about Gronk say more about you than they do about Gronk.
It's difficult to rationalise any post calling Gronkowski soft given the punishment opposing defenses have sent in his direction. Hell, T.J Ward launched at his knees because the guy needs to be tackled from behind or by several players to be stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back