PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Gary Kubiak expected to be fired today

He's not draft eligible until next year, or else he'd be the runaway choice for #1 overall pick.

You think the allegations will have any impact on his stock when he can come out?

Just think, you've spent the whole season hoping that Manziel ends getting coached by McDaniels and now you might get your wish :p

I think it would be great if they hired McDaniels, within 30 days JJ Watt and Andre Johnson would be on the trade market and Manziel would be the #1 overall pick.

Sorry if this has been stated,but financially speaking the HC is better off getting fired,that way they pay him the rest of his contract(or some type of settlement,which is usually decent money)unless they fire him "with cause",where the team disputes paying the rest.Al Davis tried to fire Lane Kiffin like that ,as I recall,a couple of years back.You dont see it very often.

Just read on the scroll on the NFLN that Texans owner Bob McNair is considering
Lovie Smith as his next HC. I hope Bob realizes that his defense is less of a problem
than his offense is.

I'm pretty sure Gary Kubiak won't survive the season as Houston coach. He may not even survive the day.

Peter King on twitter this morning on the possibility of Kubiak being fired. He did tweet an apology later, but not the best choice of words to use referring to someone with recent health issues.

You think the allegations will have any impact on his stock when he can come out?

Not even a little. I also think he's a runaway for the Heisman this year, though last week I thought he would miss out because of this (and I was also pretty convinced that the case against him was strong).

Those are the types of cases that a prosecutor's career is made on and if they dismiss because of he-said-she-said, that's all they're going to get. Doesn't mean he's innocent, necessarily, but I also think he earns the benefit of the doubt. And it's worth noting that our nation has an unfortunate history of accusing and even convicting black males of crimes - especially violent sexual assaults - that it would be proven they did not commit.

Not even a little. I also think he's a runaway for the Heisman this year, though last week I thought he would miss out because of this (and I was also pretty convinced that the case against him was strong).

Those are the types of cases that a prosecutor's career is made on and if they dismiss because of he-said-she-said, that's all they're going to get. Doesn't mean he's innocent, necessarily, but I also think he earns the benefit of the doubt. And it's worth noting that our nation has an unfortunate history of accusing and even convicting black males of crimes - especially violent sexual assaults - that it would be proven they did not commit.

I think the case was weak as hell myself, although I can certainly understand and respect your views from last week as we are looking in hindsight which is always 20/20.

The DNA evidence was one of the biggest hold ups, as it was believed that it was Winston's DNA on the "victim's" underwear. As we later found out, it was her boyfriend/ex-boyfriend at the time, which is obviously a night and day difference.

Then there was her testimony about a nondescript black man, who she later tried to identify as Winston when she saw him on TV. That, and the fact that she had a buzz going on that night made this case impossible to prosecute in my opinion. The real shame is the way the Tallahassee PD performed their duties, and the rumored statements of warning that were made to her about trying to proceed with the case--although that happens everyday in this country.

As far as his draft stock--no I don't believe it will have any bearing myself. This all said, I also believe that he's somewhat overrated too. It will be interesting to see how he performs next year, as we've seen this story before of the "sure thing" who falls to the mid or end of round one or later.

As far as firing Kubiak goes, I often wonder if the HC isn't removed too early in many instances? Unless you are a guy who hasn't sniffed any level of improvement or success, I would be the kind of owner who waits things out--at least for another year.

The Andy Reid example comes to mind. After succeeding in PHI for many years with a competitive team, he sees a season that just went to hell and was probably let go much too early, although that's just my opinion.

In the case of Kubiak, he had seen success on some level. He had shown improvement. He had built a very tough defense. He did develop one of the NFL's better rushing attacks, and also one of the NFL's best WR weapons. It wasn't like they were a total crap team. Sometimes the perfect storm lines up and the year is shot, however they had 10/13 games decided by a score or less. Unfortunately, they had a bad QB situation this season. Hell, they'll likely have the #1 overall pick next spring, which could very well put them right back in the thick of competition for the divisional crown; or at worst the runner up who's chasing Indy.

Now...if the rumors are true and Jon Gruden is interested, that's one thing. That shows a reasonable replacement and even potential upgrade; but if a guy like Lovie Smith is brought in---then what have you really accomplished? Unless I definitely knew 100% that I had a better replacement lined up, I would probably want to stick with the guy I already had and give him the benefit of the doubt to turn things around in the next year.

And Wade Phillips is in as interim head coach. I can only hope they remove the interim part from his title.

Why? I have not looked at the schedule for next year, do we play them?

I think it would be great if they hired McDaniels, within 30 days JJ Watt and Andre Johnson would be on the trade market and Manziel would be the #1 overall pick.

Both are traded to the Patriots and in two years Josh is back. Hmmm... I like this now.:)

And Wade Phillips is in as interim head coach. I can only hope they remove the interim part from his title.

Right, and rumor has it that Doug Flutie will be his OC.

As far as firing Kubiak goes, I often wonder if the HC isn't removed too early in many instances? Unless you are a guy who hasn't sniffed any level of improvement or success, I would be the kind of owner who waits things out--at least for another year.

On the other hand, I believe Kubiak is the only person to coach in the NFL for five years, never make the playoffs, and retain his job. He's had plenty of time to demonstrate his abilities.

Nice guys finish last

Kubiak was the sole reason why the Texans were never able to make a huge leap. He should have been fired in year 4 or year 5.

A couple of things:

• McDaniels was ultimately right to trade away Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall (especially Marshall). Both are turds and never have won anything since they left. Marshall has already shot his way out of another team. Cutler is an average QB. I still don't get why people still give McDaniels crap about this, he was ultimately proven right at least with Marshall. And Josh McCown is actually outplaying Cutler in relief of him.
  • I predict that this or next year will be Johnson's last year with the Texans. I think his contract and attitude will make him expendable if they can get trade value for him. If they feel DeAndre Hopkins can take over the #1 WR role, they may decide they need to use the cap money more than Johnson's talent especially since he will be 33 next season and the Texans might go into rebuild mode.

I think he was on the verge of having a second stroke yesterday with all those stupid penalty, maybe they were thinking in holding him until the end of the season but it's better to be cautious when it's about health.

A huge stroke is no joke, my father had a stroke 8 months ago and is still recovering with nurses 24hs and PT, functional therapy, he's medical care is better than I thought, I didn't spend 1 cent. And he's still not even close to his previous condition but he's getting there, one thing is for sure, he won't be able to drive again.

We get to know at the hospital that he probably had these mini-strokes before, MRI show nothing this time but there were signals of possible old strokes, he had some equilibrium problems walking, holding in something or putting his hands on the wall, I thought it was because of the booze he used for decades but it was those f...ing strokes. I remember 5 years ago +- one day he woke up not being able to speak, we went to a hospital, blood pressure a little high, they gave him some pills and rest for a couple hours and he was ok, but I just figured recently that could maybe be one of those mini strokes.

I wish Kubiak gets better and maybe get a less pressure job. if he loves football, I wish he stays working with football, staying home doing nothing is the worst thing someone can do.

Those episodes definitely sound like TIAs. My grandmother would pass out, or be unable to move for about 15 minutes. We would call the ambulance (she was bedridden because of arthritis) and by the time they got there she would have come to and be almost normal. It was scary. Sorry for your dad and hope he continues to make good progress.

Brandon Marshall isn't a turd, he is dealing with a serious mental illness and was not receiving treatment for it until he left Miami. He's become a model citizen and team leader in Chicago now that he's getting help. But you're right insofar as trading away Marshall was the right thing to do for McDaniels at the time.

Cutler, on the other hand, is actually a turd.

Brandon Marshall isn't a turd, he is dealing with a serious mental illness and was not receiving treatment for it until he left Miami. He's become a model citizen and team leader in Chicago now that he's getting help. But you're right insofar as trading away Marshall was the right thing to do for McDaniels at the time.

Cutler, on the other hand, is actually a turd.

Maybe given his mental illness it is too harsh to call him a turd, but he did act like a turd and continued to act like a turd when he left. He was out of control and was not worth keeping.

A couple of things:

• McDaniels was ultimately right to trade away Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall (especially Marshall). Both are turds and never have won anything since they left. Marshall has already shot his way out of another team. Cutler is an average QB. I still don't get why people still give McDaniels crap about this, he was ultimately proven right at least with Marshall. And Josh McCown is actually outplaying Cutler in relief of him.

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. Cutler and Marshall are fantastic Fantasy Football players.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back