PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Full CBA ready for vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com reports that, late Wednesday night, the NFL and the NFLPA worked out the last remaining details of the new CBA.

Next up, the NFLPA representatives will explain the terms to players, who’ll vote at camp on Thursday. Once at least 50 percent plus one of the players vote in favor of the deal, everyone will be able to practice as of 4:00 p.m. ET.

Report: NFL, NFLPA work out final details of new CBA | ProFootballTalk

According to Breer this report jumped the gun a little. They worked on an agreement until 3AM but reportedly have settled all the issues and only have some language to fine tune this AM. It will be interesting to see what the final agreement looks like. Schefter is reporting that Goodell did not blink and has retained total control over the personal conduct policy. No word on whether the players held firm to no application during the lockout. Also there are reports that the players agreed to random blood testing for HgH. I think those were the only outstanding issues of note, the rest dealing with benefits and how the players share of compensation ($21M or so per team) would be directed to fund them.

Up until yesterday there were still reports that a couple of hotheads were claiming players wouldn't vote. I think the disconnect between the NFLPA Executive Committee and the player reps was the story of this CBA. It's all been footdragging about things that were settled weeks ago, just not to their expectations or liking. Nothing of substance has changed since the owners voted two freakin' weeks ago...

I though everything was settled already...? What if this gets rejected?

Last edited:
I though everything was settled already...? What if this gets rejected?

As the player Reps have agreed to it, it's pretty much a done deal. There may be a few hot heads, but nothing that can hold up the deal. At least from what I understand.

It won't. They won't vote on it until or unless De knows he has a majority of the reps onboard. He's likely aiming for 32-0. But it will pass even if only by a vote. And it's never been in doubt that the rank and file will pass it, they want to be shown their money!!

If it didn't pass all bets would be off and the lockout would resume. Nobody gets a nickle until the deal is ratified...

As the player Reps have agreed to it, it's pretty much a done deal. There may be a few hot heads, but nothing that can hold up the deal. At least from what I understand.

The player reps signed off on an agreement. This time they are voting to ratify a CBA. They couldn't do that until they got recertified, which likely quietly happened over the course of this week (De was going around to team and collecting cards, 50% + 1 was all he needed. Same deal if the CBA goes to the players later today. Only I believe player reps will handle the voting at team locations once given the green light.)

But I agree, the hotheads won't be allowed to derail the deal at this juncture.

I hope they uphold the personal conduct standards. While I understand the logic of some people who think that because they were not locked out, they shouldn't be penalized, I don't want to see them get a free pass either.

And while I think its stupid not to allow HGH in strictly controlled situations to treat injuries, I hope that it will be tested for along with the other drugs.

I hope they uphold the personal conduct standards. While I understand the logic of some people who think that because they were not locked out, they shouldn't be penalized, I don't want to see them get a free pass either.

And while I think its stupid not to allow HGH in strictly controlled situations to treat injuries, I hope that it will be tested for along with the other drugs.

I just don't want Raheem Brock to be suspended if the pats sign him(if that was bad enough to be suspendable). Seriously though a $27 tab and you're a professional athlete?

Last edited:
I just don't want Raheem Brock to be suspended if the pats sign him(if that was bad enough to be suspendable). Seriously though a $27 tab and you're a professional athlete?

I thought of that as well as the potential for Albert to be subject to some sort of discipline. However, just on principal its the best policy for the overall league, even though I often disagree with the uneven manner which the discipline is handed out by Goodell. Its still better than the alternatives I've read about.

BTW - Its kind of ironic that in the last deal before the lockout, the league offered an independent 3rd party to appeal drug suspensions. But that was the "worst deal in professional sport history" and didn't even deserve a counter offer. :rolleyes:

Houston, we may have a glitch in the 2011 season launch clock...

Seems De has dropped the ball yet again. The deal as hammered out to include HgH testing is now meeting with sufficient resistence from the 32 team reps who never seem to know what the NFLPA has been agreeing to in negotiating sessions and may not vote today as a result...:ugh:

It's OFFICIAL!!!!!

The Players voted to accept the CBA.. 10 years of labor peace...

Goodell and DeMaurice Smith to sign tomorrow at the Hall of Fame..

Re: It's OFFICIAL!!!!!

And here I thought we had signed some big-time free agent. You had me excited, man! Now I am excited but in a different, less exciting kind of way

whos-awesome-awesome-demotivational-poster-1216390759.jpg

Sweet... I knew it would *probably* happen, but I feel a lot better now that it has. Get ready for some FOOTBALL!!!! :singing:

Hopefully someone in the media gets their paws on the whole 300 pages soon...so we know what they just ceremonially signed off on in Canton.

They did talk about the HgH testing issue. It will be done this year, Goodell is hoping for it to be in place by opening day. Issues remain to be worked out on just who does the testing but De was equally committed to the need for it and he and Roger will now come to an agreement on the process. So the player reps again tried to drag their heels but in the end all they got is a minor stall of maybe 30-90 days. Time enough I'd imagine for users to regroup and cleanup and research the necessary strategies to beat the existing level of testing technology...

An interesting item we never heard further on was all the pending litigation. I assume as I always did that it simply was dropped by the plaintiffs and has gone away without further need for court rulings...

Last edited:
The one BIG issue I want to know is whether or not they got rid of Doty's Judicial Oversight.. I sure hope so..

There is no judicial oversight including from Doty. There is binding arbitration as with normal CBA's. I believe a three person panel will be formed and include a former judge. Not sure if they handle the actual grievances or any appeal of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey