Welcome to PatsFans.com

Report: Fewest blacks in major leagues since '80s

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Mar 30, 2007.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Only 8.4 percent of MLBers were black in '06

NEW YORK (AP) - Only 8.4 percent of major league players last season were black, the lowest level in at least two decades.

As recently as 1995, 19 percent of big leaguers were black, according to Richard Lapchick, director of the University of Central Florida's Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sports. Nine percent were black in both 2004 and 2005, and the current figure is the lowest since at least the mid-1980s, he said.
    Just 3 percent of pitchers were blacks in 2006, Lapchick said Thursday in his annual study, the same as the previous year.

Lapchick gave baseball a B+ for racial diversity, the same as last year, and a C+ for gender, up from a C. Its overall grade improved from C+ to B.

"Jackie Robinson's dream was to increase the percentage of African-American players as well as coaches and front-office personnel," Lapchick said. "While MLB has achieved these new distinctions regarding who runs the game, the percentage of African-Americans playing the game reached a new low."

Baseball is holding its first "Civil Rights Game" exhibition in Memphis, Tenn., this weekend and is planning a celebration on April 15 to mark the 60th anniversary of Robinson breaking the sport's color barrier.

Cleveland pitcher C.C. Sabathia said this month that baseball must do more to promote the game in inner cities.

"It's not just a problem - it's a crisis," he said.
    Lapchick gave baseball a B+ for race and a C for gender for its senior administration hiring. When it came to team vice presidents, he gave a B for race and an F for gender. He gave a D for general managers - Kenny Williams of the Chicago White Sox is the only black GM and Omar Minaya of the New York Mets is the only Latino GM. For the central offices, he gave an A+ for race and an A for gender.

Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer, did not respond to an e-mail seeking comment.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6624650?MSNHPHMA&GT1=9232

Is this a crisis?
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

This Will Be Blamed On The White Christians And George Bush
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

It seems a low, but Lapchick gave the MLB a B+, so I would guess the problem isn't serious, despite Fox's sensational headline. The MLB needs to do more to promote the game in inner cities, as Cleveland pitcher Sabithia suggested in the article. At any rate, it's certainly not as serious as what's going on at Harvard U., where the Globe reported that of 32 coaches, 0% are black and only one is non-white (Indian).
  4. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Those damn White Christians and George Bush are making baseball into a racist sport.
  5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

Are There Any "Eskimos" In Major League Baseball And If Not, Why Not?
  6. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +77 / 5 / -7

#37 Jersey

Should we set up set up a Basketball program in middle class suburbs, I mean the American white players make up far less than 8.4% of the NBA.

What grade does the NBA get?

Georgetown is in the final four, who was their last white player?
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Why not? It would probably be a good investment by the NBA. These issues appear to be more cultural than racial, and perhaps if the sports were better promoted, young white kids who don't make the baseball team, would try out for basketball, and young black kids who don't make the basketball team, would try out for baseball. Sorry, PFIEL, there's no issue here unless someone presents more evidence than just a stat.
  8. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

Baseball is diversified with more players coming from different countries then in the past decades. The greatest inroads have come from Latin players, who at one time were frowned upon. I'm sure the percentage of MLB players of the population of Puerto Rico is far greater then that of U.S. I heard a story of kids learning baseball down there by using bottle caps and broomsticks. That would surely help hand-eye coordination at the very least. Japanese are now employed by a number of teams, it wasn't too long ago when I can remember them not being good enough for MLB. I don't think its a crisis that there are fewer blacks playing baseball. I couldn't tell you how many managers are black and that's a good thing, as its appearently not a problem (as it is in college football). Now if MLB had made George Bush commissioner as he had really wanted, I'm sure we would have a lot less to worry about.
  9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +113 / 7 / -10

Great athletes start out as little kids playing games they like. We should let kids play whatever games they want.
  10. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Personally, I do not understand the 'diversity for the sake of diversity' argument. It is more important to make sure there is no racism or discrimination in sports / work / admissions, but for this Major League Baseball situation, I do not see a problem related to that.

Black athletes are flocking mostly to basketball or football or track. I see the MLB percentage as representative of the fact that there simply isn't as much interest in baseball among Black youth. And you can bet your ass Black athletes are not being discriminated against in the baseball system.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

Thats "common Sense" the (we know whats best for you do-gooders) don't want any part of letting you do what you want to do.

What I can't understand is why they won't let "white blind people" play basketball?
  12. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I'm not sure who gets credit for the headline. I got the originak=l link on MSN's homepage from a the column "top picks" :

Report: Fewest blacks in major leagues since '80s
    Britney, K-Fed settle divorce
    Who can text the fastest?

Bad knees
    Why the body part is so injury-prone

When I clicked on the story it directed me to the story that's posted. Fox's headline, Only 8.4 percent of MLBers were black in '06 seems to be borrowed from the AP headline: NEW YORK (AP) - Only 8.4 percent of major league players last season were black, the lowest level in at least two decades. of the story which they wrote.

I'm not sure but it looks like it went from the AP to Fox then to MSN. If you're trying to throw a dig at Fox then I think the best you can do is say that they ran with the sensational headline the AP wrote as did MSN.
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

This is funny to me. #1, black percentages have decreased while asian and certainly hispanic percentages have increased substantially. I'm curious how many Eskimo's are in MLB, and feel that the low percentage, 0%, represents a crisis that needs to be corrected. MLB needs to do a better job of promoting baseball in the arctic. :p (teasing!)

Seriously though, what about Basketball? What percentage of caucasians is there in the NBA? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the percentage has declined dramatically since the leagues creation. Anyone think that this represents a "crisis"? Maybe the NBA needs to do a better job of promoting basketball in white suburbia. :D
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

OMG! HA! Harry, I didn't even see this. Too funny bud!

:eat2:
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Brian Kelly was. It was 1990.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Nah, let's drug them up so that they sit in place and drool all over themselves.

:D

I'm teasing!
  17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

I think there should be more white people in prison, isn't this discrimination?
  18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

One of the issues is that if a black or minority has a choice between football and baseball, they may pick the former. The road to the majors in baseball is tiring, except for those chosen few. They have rookie leagues, summer leagues, venezualan leagues all kinda leagues so the few who make it come from many sources... also NCAA baseball is not a real viable conduit for most kids nowadays.
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

That and 2 other things, it is alot harder to find fields in the inner city than ever before, and kids have more to do these days (inet, XBox, PS3), which made the already difficult task of organizing 15-20 friends together to play baseball, virtually impossible. When I was young, we had more fields, parks, and B-ball courts than you see today. Cities have ripped up these lots to "increase revenues" (as they like to put it) by developing them.
  20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

Why the hell are you people even talking bout this, what does the color of somebodys skin have to do with throwing a ball around, what do the liberal politically correct coo-coo's want to do now blame white people because the world is running out of Black people that can play baseball.

If thats the case then go into "The Hood" hire a whole bunch of black guys give them uniforms and some bats then send them out onto the field and "Play Ball" then the liberals can all sit in the stands with their ten dollar hot dogs and say to each other "oh isn't this wonderful, look at all the black players, we are truly the saviours of the human race".

Buy Me Some Peanuts And Cracker Jacks

:bricks: