PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Drew Brees gets his deal, will make insane money

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are coming out of the woodwork...

Multiple names in multiple threads. We really need camp to start so the returning "regulars" can drown this stuff out.

Last edited:
Im willing to be an ass to defend my QB, that forums make fun of. Brees is a good guy and worth it.

Threes nor reason to pick on him.
I know we are not changing anyone. But after so many negative post, really ? You thought Id never comment after 100 post ? :)

Guess I should start a Brady sucks thread, in our forum and see who shows.

I respect you and your opinions Pherein as always but I am a little surprised on Brees demands for such a huge contract.

I always thought Brees was a team player but apparently he thinks more of his financial future than for the near future of the Saints.

I believe that with contracts of this nature,somewhere down the line the Saints are going to lose a lot of talent on their roster because they will be in cap hell within 5 years IMO.

Kind of like Peyton with the Colts who you could see talent bit by bit draining year after year.

Brees is a great QB and deserves to be highly rewarded for his services at QB of the Saints but he is being overpaid IMO.

Brees has been playing the "Show Me the Money" act for over a year & 1/2 now. He was one of the, if not the main, spokesmouths for the PA during the lockout, then b!tches when NO wasn't immed. willing to make him the highest-paid player in football. Even the horse-faced goober PayaTon was less obnoxious during negotiations.
And if anyone wonders from whom he is being french-kissed these salary-cap-be-damned ideas in his ear, one need look no farther than the A-Hole he has as his agent.

Last edited:
I respect you and your opinions Pherein as always but I am a little surprised on Brees demands for such a huge contract.

I always thought Brees was a team player but apparently he thinks more of his financial future than for the near future of the Saints.

I believe that with contracts of this nature,somewhere down the line the Saints are going to lose a lot of talent on their roster because they will be in cap hell within 5 years IMO.

Kind of like Peyton with the Colts who you could see talent bit by bit draining year after year.

Brees is a great QB and deserves to be highly rewarded for his services at QB of the Saints but he is being overpaid IMO.

Just because he insisted on being paid what he was worth doesn't mean that he's not a team player. When Brady signed his contract it also made him the highest-paid player in the NFL at the time. Would you ever claim that Brady isn't a team player? Even now, are you really saying that Brady, at ~$18M per year, is a saint, while Brees, at ~$20M per year, is self-absorbed?

If anyone should be blamed in this, it's the Saints. They're the ones that tried to play hardball and started with the premise that he should be paid as a "good-not-great" QB. They also got screwed when it was ruled that the franchise tag that was used on Brees in San Diego would be counted against a lifetime limit, rather than a team limit. None of that is Brees' fault.

Last edited:
Brady definitely doesn't suck... but... I do have to point out that when Matt Cassell stepped in for Brady, the team didn't miss a beat. He goes to another team and sucks balls. That tells me that the system is part of Brady's success.
Every time Brees is on the bench, his backup sucks - no matter who it is.
I just wanted to throw that out there as food for thought.

One more tidbit:
The same defense that held Brady and co to 17 points in the Superbowl was torched by Brees and co to the tune of 49 points. Both games in a dome.

They didn't miss a beat to the tune of missing the playoffs for the only time in the past 9 years despite playing the easiest schedule in the NFL. Are you joking, or hopelessly ignorant of the situation and football in general?

If you think that "The same defense that held Brady and co to 17 points in the Superbowl was torched by Brees and co to the tune of 49 points. Both games in a dome." is a valid argument, then it must be the latter. Please go back to wherever you came from, because clearly you have nothing of value to contribute here.

Last edited:
They didn't miss a beat to the tune of missing the playoffs for the only time in the past 9 years despite playing the easiest schedule in the NFL. Are you joking, or hopelessly ignorant of the situation and football in general?

If you think that "The same defense that held Brady and co to 17 points in the Superbowl was torched by Brees and co to the tune of 49 points. Both games in a dome." is a valid argument, then it must be the latter. Please go back to wherever you came from, because clearly you have nothing of value to contribute here.

Expected reply, given the forum.
No team goes 16-0 twice in a row.
2002 - 9-7 with Brady
2003 - 14-2 (First game got shut-out and beaten by the man whose job was stolen by Brady, and yes, I know the last was the exact opposite)
2004 - 14-2 with Brady
2005 - 11-5 with Brady
2006 - 12-4 with Brady
2007 - 16-0 with Brady
2008 - 11-5 (only loses to 5 "good" teams)
2009 - 10-6 with Brady
2010 - 14-2 with Brady
2011 - 13-3 with Brady

Yup... I still say "never missed a beat". 11-5 is a very respectable record - dang near ensures a play-off berth. The ONLY reason they DIDN'T make the playoffs that year is because the Dolphins had the tie breaker for the division and the Ravens had the tie breaker for the wildcard. RARELY does an 11-5 team not make the playoffs.
And "week schedule"?
They played Miami twice (the div winner), got beat handily once, and thumped them hard the second time (with Cassel.. remember this). Their opponents had a combined win/loss of 123/121 (over .500).
However... in there "famed" 16-0 season, the one right before it that you imply was a "tougher schedule" (if the next year was so easy), their opponents combined win/loss is 120/136 (under .500).

I'm not trying to "diss on Brady". I am only merely pointing out facts. Brady is a great QB, one of the few "elites", and deserves his paycheck. As is/was (jusy is still out on how he comes back from that surgery) Manning - but also, as is Brees. Personally, until I see what Matt Flynn can do in Seattle, I put the same stigma on Rodgers (but to an even greater degree given Flynn only had one game, the team he played, and the importance of the game to the team he played).
If Chase Daniels, or even Mark Brunnell in previous years, could just get some points (or even just positive yardage in the 4th quarter situations they may be put in when NO is 30 points up), then I wouldn't feel as strongly as I do, but they can't/haven't. N.O. SUCKS without Drew. N.E. was actually pretty decent still without Tom. Gotta hand it to Belichick. He knows how to build a winning TEAM. Remember what happened last year, to the Colts... when THE star was out? That would have been this years Saints had Drew not played. Given your logic, that should have been 2008's Patriots. But it wasn't...

2002 - 9-7 with Brady
2003 - 14-2 (First game got shut-out and beaten by the man whose job was stolen by Brady, and yes, I know the last was the exact opposite)
2004 - 14-2 with Brady
2005 - 11-5 with Brady
2006 - 12-4 with Brady
2007 - 16-0 with Brady
2009 - 10-6 with Brady
2010 - 14-2 with Brady
2011 - 13-3 with Brady

Yup... I still say "never missed a beat". 11-5 is a very respectable record - dang near ensures a play-off berth. The ONLY reason they DIDN'T make the playoffs that year is because the Dolphins had the tie breaker for the division and the Ravens had the tie breaker for the wildcard. RARELY does an 11-5 team not make the playoffs.
And "week schedule"?
They played Miami twice (the div winner), got beat handily once, and thumped them hard the second time (with Cassel.. remember this). Their opponents had a combined win/loss of 123/121 (over .500).
However... in there "famed" 16-0 season, the one right before it that you imply was a "tougher schedule" (if the next year was so easy), their opponents combined win/loss is 120/136 (under .500).

I'm not trying to "diss on Brady". I am only merely pointing out facts. Brady is a great QB, one of the few "elites", and deserves his paycheck. As is/was (jusy is still out on how he comes back from that surgery) Manning - but also, as is Brees. Personally, until I see what Matt Flynn can do in Seattle, I put the same stigma on Rodgers (but to an even greater degree given Flynn only had one game, the team he played, and the importance of the game to the team he played).
If Chase Daniels, or even Mark Brunnell in previous years, could just get some points (or even just positive yardage in the 4th quarter situations they may be put in when NO is 30 points up), then I wouldn't feel as strongly as I do, but they can't/haven't. N.O. SUCKS without Drew. N.E. was actually pretty decent still without Tom. Gotta hand it to Belichick. He knows how to build a winning TEAM. Remember what happened last year, to the Colts... when THE star was out? That would have been this years Saints had Drew not played. Given your logic, that should have been 2008's Patriots. But it wasn't...

You've completely clowned yourself, and it's only taken two posts for you to do it. Congratulations. Your mom and dad will be so very proud.

Last edited:
2002 - 9-7 with Brady
2004 - 14-2 with Brady
2005 - 11-5 with Brady
2006 - 12-4 with Brady
2007 - 16-0 with Brady
2009 - 10-6 with Brady
2010 - 14-2 with Brady
2011 - 13-3 with Brady

And "week schedule"?

Yup, and you know how that actually happened? Because for over a decade in which he's won three rings and taken them to 5 superbowls and within minutes of a 6th...Brady's never been greedy and self absorbed. His 4 year $18M extension was on top of a remaining year at $6M...allowing it to average $15.6M... And that remaining year was part of his 2005 deal signed after he won his third ring. A deal that paid him the same 6 year $60M $10M per that poor Drew had to settle for in 2006 coming off his shoulder injury season when nobody wanted him... A deal Brady took even though the ringless Manning had just signed a 9 year $108M deal...that voided to a 7 year $98M or $14M per (not to mention a $34.5M signing bonus).

Last edited:
2002 - 9-7 with Brady
2004 - 14-2 with Brady
2005 - 11-5 with Brady
2006 - 12-4 with Brady
2007 - 16-0 with Brady
2009 - 10-6 with Brady
2010 - 14-2 with Brady
2011 - 13-3 with Brady

And "week schedule"?

What part of "easiest schedule in the league" don't you understand? If Brady had played in 2008, I'm fairly sure that they would have gone 16-0 again; that schedule was a cakewalk. They lost 5 wins from the previous year despite playing a schedule that should have been good for several more wins just by being far easier.Did it ever occur to you why the combined record of the 2007 Patriots' opponents wasn't great? Because of the one thing that they all had in common: they all played (and lost to) the Patriots. Derp.

And what happened to the Colts is irrelevant to the 2008 Patriots. Those Colts were barely a playoff team even with Manning in 2010. Frankly, I wish he had played, if only so that team could have gone 8-8, which is what they would have done with him. So of course they sucked without him, and it was made even worse the team's complete inability to develop a backup. All backups are not created equal, and the Patriots, unlike the Colts and apparently the Saints (if what you're saying is true) actually care about having a good one. Matt Cassel is at worst an NFL-average starting quarterback, and maybe better than that. The Colts, OTOH, panic-signed Kerry Collins' corpse weeks before the season started. Apparently never occurred to them before that point that Peyton Manning is capable of being injured. If you think that the Colts' unbelievable negligence in even attempting a contingency plan is somehow a point in Peyton's favor, then I dunno what else to say to you on the matter. You've obviously made up your mind, and something as insignificant as facts and basic logic surely won't convince you.

As much as you want to call Brady a system quarterback, you are talking about a guy with three rings, two MVPs, the only unanimous MVP in NFL history, the most TDs in a season, the second-most yards in a season, the most seasons with 110+ passer rating, most consecutive passes without an interception, best touchdown-to-INT differential AND touchdown-to-INT ratio in a season, and about a dozen other all-time records that aren't nearly as cool. If nothing else, look at it this way: in three of the last five seasons, the Patriots have had Tom Brady at something resembling 100%. In those three seasons, they've gone 43-5, been the top seed in the AFC every year, he's won two MVPs, and they've made two Super Bowls.

So if you can't understand any of that, and you can't understand the concept of strength of schedule, or the fact that all backups are not created equal, or even the fact that 16-0 to 11-5 is a steep decline, then there's no point in continuing this conversation. That's more ignorance than I can fix. Sorry.

Last edited:
Multiple names in multiple threads. We really need camp to start so the returning "regulars" can drown this stuff out.

Heh heh. I think most of them post here after the school bus drops them off at home from Summer Camp.

I'm not suprised by any of these responses...

Just know that the only one(s) you're kidding are yourselves.

g'day.

q

g'day.

Brady most likely takes that same 2008 team at least 14-2 in the regular season and gets to another SB that year.

You'd be the one kidding yourself by comparing the colts 2011 season to the pats 2008 season.

The Saints wouldn't fall off a clif without Brees either, they have (with the exception of this season) a great coach and a stacked offense. With a Curtis Painter they go 7-9 or 6-10 or worse lol, with a Matt Cassel they go 10-6 or 11-5 and with a Drew brees they go 13-3 15-1. This is assuming they were fielding the same team and coach as last season which I know they're not.

That's difference between mediocre, average and elite IMO:cool:

Last edited:

g'day.

Taking nothing away from Brees, I have the utmost respect for the guy, but a lot of the Saints offense is derived from the Running backs YAC. Sproles has 710 receiving yards last season, 690 of which were YAC. Thomas had 482 YAC which is actually more than his total receiving yards so Brees was just dumping it off to him 4-5 yards behind the line. That's over a thousand yards and it opens up the deeper passing game. You honestly don't think a backup could come in and be respectable playing in that offense in a dome with Payton coaching it? Especially against the 2008 Patriots schedule?

The 2008 Patriots were largely successful because they had a stable of backs they could attack with, much like the Saints. The 2008 Pats were 6th in rushing, I believe which also opened up the passing game.

Of course the Patriots benefit more than most teams from YAC as well but Gronk and Welker had half of their yards from YAC, not a net negative like the Saints 2 backs and none of the Patriots running backs crack the top 40.

Tom Brady has taken this team to 5 Superbowls and won 2 league MVPs, including a unanimous one in 2010. Let's not belittle his accomplishments and importance to the franchise and show some respect.

The biggest problem with the Colts last year was that they had no other offensive talent other than the QB and on top of that their coaching sucked. Neither the Saints or Patriots have that issue.

Last edited:

I respect your post PATRIOTSFANINPA and we do hold Patriots options on football in high regard.
You are correct I think, we think, but what choice do we have?
Logically there is no choice. Brees walks we are done.
This is a brutal game, and he has a family.
Is Brees to love us? and forget money wondering when his next shoulder injury will end it?
or is he to be payed? Not only for the SB, where he was underpaid, but for the years of work where he was underpaid and produced ?
What about the 3 million he has put into charities in NO? Who's going to cover that, or the many foundations no one hears about.
I agree Brees is far from being a jerk, or D@ck.
But seriously with the little money he was paid and gave 3 million to help the community. Id be surprised if that wasn't doubled with his new contract.
Its his character. Some see him as egotistic or religiously over the top.
That might be true.
But at least he practices what he preaches. Brees and Brady are on different paths in life. Brees will never be as good as Brady. Thats just fact.
Brees is as far from mother teresa as you can get, but the important thing is he is very much trying, and visits American troops every off season. He is not obligated to to any of this. I think people are worried about the money, and less worried about the good he does with it. Brees is not a great man, but hes a good man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes