PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Danny amendola ‘almost certain’ to miss jets game

Because you seem to only want to quote the Patriots when it suits your needs and dismiss what they say when it doesn't.

The Pats are never going to say "We really didn't want Welker" or that they felt Welker was declining in skills. They just don't do that. Belichick has never said a word about re-signing Welker. He is the decision maker in Foxboro when it comes to personnel. Whatever he said, I wouldn't believe him anyway.

There is so much irony here that I don't know where to begin, so I won't bother except to note that the Patriots did, according to reports, prioritize Welker, and turned to Amendola after discussions with Welker did not result in a deal.

Deus - there's no way Welker makes a couple of those catches, specifically the 3rd & 8. He is not physically capable of doing what Danny Amendola did. You have plenty on your side if you want to argue we should've kept Welker in addition to or instead of DA, you don't need this point.

It takes nothing away from Wes, but Danny Amendola is more athletic, bigger and has a larger catch radius, and that was on display a couple times this past Sunday. If he can't stay healthy, then it does us little good.

Welker has made every one of those catches before. That's what makes the "he couldn't" nonsense even funnier to read than it would be otherwise.

You can compare Welker to Amendola all day even make a good argument that Amendola is better. I have been very critical of Welker and his dropped passes (one that cost this team the SB) however I will take Welker 100/100 times for the simple fact that Welker plays ever game.

Don't kid yourself into believing that will change as he gets older and as the season goes on. This is who Amendola is: A solid player who will never stay healthy.

I'm amazed at how many people take such an overly simplistic view of complicated topics with such an abundance of confidence in their belief.

No see, when he dislocated his elbow he started trying to break tackles with his collarbone and after that broke he started using his groin to catch the ball.

Lets just move on from Wes please he aint walking through that door he plays for the enemy now.

Sux DA is hurt but its early in the season and he just showed what he can do so lets get him healthy if it takes sitting him for 2-4 games or even more do it.

We need to get Gronk back soon.

But in the meantime a lot will be put on the shoulder of Jules and Ridley will need to bounce back too. From there I think KT looked a little skidish on sunday and I bet some of that can be coached out/ just naturally go away as he plays more and gets comfortable with the speed of the game. He knows the offense and I think he will come around quickly. Boyce and Dobson are going to need to pitch in too but there should be enough for Brady to make it work until Gronk and DA get back. At least for the next two games but after that we get into the meat of the schedule and need one if not both.

There is so much irony here that I don't know where to begin, so I won't bother except to note that the Patriots did, according to reports, prioritize Welker, and turned to Amendola after discussions with Welker did not result in a deal.

They made Welker such a priority that they signed Amendola before they knew they were out of the Welker race and they decided that because Welker couldn't make his decision fast enough that they would go for Amendola instead. There are many in the media who followed this who believed based on their sources that the Pats never really made that hard of a press to get Welker.

Brady will throw for 275 yards and 2 TDs, Ridley will have a good game with 100 yards and a TD, the D will force 3 turnovers, Ghost will nail 2 FGs, and the Pats will win 27-16.

Relax, folks. It's under control.

This whole situation - letting Welker go, surrounding Brady with injury prone and rookie pass catchers really has the chance to become a touchstone moment for the franchise - much like the decision to let Parcells walk and hire Pete Carroll. The Pats recovered from that first mistake by hiring Belichick and then a year later by having the luck to win out on a 6th round draft pick named Tom Brady.
Hopefully the team can get past this, but their history with drafting and developing wide receivers is horrible. I don't know why so many people on this forum think it'll be any different with Thompkins, Boyce, and Dobson....I don't think we're talking Denver's Three Amigos here....

That's only true if Amendola plays as many games as Welker. He had an injury history prior to coming here, he's already having one here... This does not a right move make.

Of course, we won't know for perspective until after a few seasons, but your statement is foolish given the situation as we know it now.

Even if Amendola misses this game it's just one game. Let it play out he's a tough kid and in the long run he will be even more productive than Welker. Welker is done after this year anyway did you want the Pats locked into him for guaranteed money for the next 2-3 years after this?

Let's look at a quick statistical example of coin flips. If your event was flipping a coin 100 times in a row, and you repeated this event millions of times, you would expect some of them to contain 30+ heads in a row. However, at no point in time of a run of heads can you say that it is more likely to end up with 30+, even when you see 20 in a row. Furthermore, at no point can you say that it is more likely for any future flip to be heads. These are independent events.

I may be forgetting my college lessons on this topic but I believe what you're describing is the gambler's fallacy, is it not?

Brady will throw for 275 yards and 2 TDs, Ridley will have a good game with 100 yards and a TD, the D will force 3 turnovers, Ghost will nail 2 FGs, and the Pats will win 27-16.

I don't think this game is even going to be close. The Jets are by far the worst roster in the NFL and Rex Ryan couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. Adam Schein gave a very detailed analysis of how poorly constructed this roster and how inept the coaching staff is and he is one of the most knowledgeable NFL guys around.

"Relax. It's under control. I'm making stuff up."

I hope you're right, of course, but the nothing that such a belief is based on is incredible. I think the problem here is that we may not have the depth necessary for your stat lines to come true. (Do we have 275 yds of WR and TE right now? I'm not so sure. Is Riddley even starting and will he avoid fumbling? Again, not sure.) Like it or not, the Jest are an actual NFL team that is capable of beating us. They are not yet the Jags. I can assure you the Pats aren't taking them lightly.

Even if Amendola misses this game it's just one game. Let it play out he's a tough kid and in the long run he will be even more productive than Welker. Welker is done after this year anyway did you want the Pats locked into him for guaranteed money for the next 2-3 years after this?

That's some messed up crystal ball you've got. Why is Welker done after this year? What on God's green Earth is this based on? We also don't know Amendola is missing just one game, we know he's missing AT LEAST one game.

Yes 2-3 years was a reasonable contract for Welker who LED THE LEAGUE last year.

It's fine to want to argue in favor of the Amendola move, but the fact that you're having to resort to just making crap up should tell you that there's some potential pitfalls in your POV.

"Relax. It's under control. I'm making stuff up."

I hope you're right, of course, but the nothing that such a belief is based on is incredible. I think the problem here is that we may not have the depth necessary for your stat lines to come true. (Do we have 275 yds of WR and TE right now? I'm not so sure. Is Riddley even starting and will he avoid fumbling? Again, not sure.) Like it or not, the Jest are an actual NFL team that is capable of beating us. They are not yet the Jags. I can assure you the Pats aren't taking them lightly.

Ridley will be fine he had one bad half of football it happens.

There were catches on Sunday that Amendola made that the current version of Welker couldn't make and didn't make last year. But he might have made them in previous years. The 2012 version of Welker dropped a lot of passes. The 2011 version of Welker didn't drop any (at least until the Super Bowl).

People think the 2013 version of Welker is the same as the 2007 version. His hands and speed are not like they used to be. He is still a great WR, but he is showing some signs of age. The pass he dropped and John Harbaugh should have challenged last week was a catch he would never drop in the past.

I wanted Welker back and I thought it was a bad move not trying harder to re-sign him, but people refuse to admit that he is showing some signs of age and he isn't the dependable catcher he once was. But he is playing this week which is more than Amendola can say.

Sounds like you're trying to have it both ways. My view, without a lot of rhetoric and "qualifiers," is that, whatever might or might not have transpired during the contract negotiations, we would be better off with Welker than Amendola. What is your view? Welker or Amendola? Pick one.

Danny Amendola's Future Value, as you suggest in another post, might indeed be greater than Welker's and he might end up in Canton, but for now, this is what the numbers say:

Amendola: 18 Games Started, 206 Receptions, 1,830 Yards, 8.9 Yards per reception, 7 TD's.
Welker: 82 Games started, 777 Receptions, 8,647 yards, 11.1 Yards per reception, 40 TD's.

This is really not a comparison in which I am interested in investing much energy until Amendola puts in a few more seasons in which he plays more than a dozen games. Until then, Welker over Amendola is kind of a slam dunk for me and we just have to make the best of the current situation, which is that we're dependent on a very talented receiver who has trouble staying on the field for an entire game, let alone an entire season.

I do agree that Amendola isn't much good on the bench.

That's some messed up crystal ball you've got. Why is Welker done after this year? What on God's green Earth is this based on? We also don't know Amendola is missing just one game, we know he's missing AT LEAST one game.

Yes 2-3 years was a reasonable contract for Welker who LED THE LEAGUE last year.

It's fine to want to argue in favor of the Amendola move, but the fact that you're having to resort to just making crap up should tell you that there's some potential pitfalls in your POV.

Ugh let me see he's 32 friggin years old. You want to give a 32 year old Wide Receiver with wear and tear to include a torn ACL a 3+ year deal? Be my guest. I have some of Bernie Madoff's mutual funds I'd like to sell you.

I may be forgetting my college lessons on this topic but I believe what you're describing is the gambler's fallacy, is it not?

Sort of, except the Gambler's fallacy is the same idea but the opposite of it, it is the belief that if something happens more often than usual then it will happen lass often than usual in the future. Named such as we see many gamblers go through a string of bad luck and keep playing (even raising stakes) because they wrongly believe that their past losses make it more likely for them to win the next one(s).

Dude, he's a Jets fan troll from JI with a gimmick account, and he's not even good at it. Why anyone keeps talking to him like he's a real poster (or why he hasn't been banned yet) is beyond me.

Dude, he's a Jets fan troll from JI with a gimmick account, and he's not even good at it. Why anyone keeps talking to him like he's a real poster (or why he hasn't been banned yet) is beyond me.

Sorry bro:

1. I'm a lifelong Pats fan.

2. I'm good at everything.

Patsfans: The only website where fans gloat when one of the teams key players gets hurt.

Muscle injuries happen but because it's Amendola it's a huge deal, right? He's got near enough 2 weeks to get right for Tampa, letting him skip the Jets will be fine.

Seriously, the number of people taking victory laps over this is pretty confusing. It's not even a new injury; we've known about it for a week.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back