Welcome to PatsFans.com

Report: Brady has tennis elbow

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Patspsycho, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Per WEEI via PFW, as reported by Christopher Price:

Report: Brady has tennis elbow

Tennis elbow represents a more serious issue than a bone bruise.

For those of you who are not familiar, tennis elbow is an overuse injury occurring in the lateral side of the elbow (inflammation of the tendons on the outside of the elbow), that is caused by overrepetition (e.g., hitting tennis balls thousands of times) resulting in tiny tears in the forearm tendon attachment at the elbow.

For Brady, it's most probably a result of him throwing the ball so much.

The problem with tennis elbow for Brady is that pain comes through torquing the elbow and wrist muscles and also with the grip (e.g., grasping something), and those two are very integral to a throughout throwing motion with the football.

For me, it makes a lot of sense because I haven't been seeing a lot of throws that have tight spirals on them. It also explains why a lot of his throws have fallen short of the mark.

Surgery is not usually required, but this is not an issue that is easily overcome. While it is not disabling, it sometimes ends up as a life-long issue.

2. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Then he should stop playing tennis.:mad:

3. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +547 / 12 / -5

#51 Jersey

If true, that explains the errant throws and accuracy issues that have plagued Brady at times this season. Then again, if the Patriots had a BALANCED attack and utilized their more than serviceable running game, one wonders.

There are treatments and strapping techniques that can "help" Brady through this issue.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  4. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Brady's made of glass. He's a total bust! He's a 6th round pick- just cut him and start Mallett. Mallett's a 3rd rounder, so he's got to be better than Brady.

;)

5. NEPats1

NEPats1 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I know that the cause of this is many repetitions etc, but does anyone think that nasty hit by Pace in the playoffs has anything to do with it as well?

I remember being scared to death after that play b/c his elbow took a really bad hit.

6. Horace's Ivories

Horace's Ivories PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 1 / -0

#24 Jersey

deep tissue massage of the forearm - good as new

7. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Wouldn't this be more likely heading into the colder, tougher (weather wise) part of the season?
    As of right now, the Pats pass 60% and Rush 40%. In the tougher weather it's reasonable to expect at least 55% pass/45% rush if not even closer. That sounds pretty balanced to me.

New England Patriots Stats at NFL.com

387 pass play attempts
    262 rushing plays

649 plays

262/649= 40%

8. NEP4Life

NEP4Life Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

OMG. Knew it. :(

He's gonna need cortisone shots. :(

Guys, this is not good.

I'm glad he's resting it instead of practicing, per the article, but as I've already posted elsewhere, this type of injury lingers.

Best case, the Pats get into the playoffs with a bye, letting Brady rest a bit, and Brady gets shots as necessary to lead the team on a playoff run.

Added: Montana lost a year with a torn epicondyle tendon, and was done soon afterwards. OMG. :(

9. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +165 / 3 / -1

I know you had your tongue firmly planted in your cheek with that one, but if you've ever known anyone with tennis elbow, you know that this is "not a good thing." Hopefully a lot of rest in the off-season will get rid of it as a long term problem.

10. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Bedard says a bone bruise suffered over a month ago...Brady says he's fine...Pro Football Weekly claims it has a Patriots team source...that would be a first in recent years. I think of PFW as Patriots Football Weekly for that reason.

If they were limiting Tom's reps his participation in practice would be limited and that would be reflected on the reports. Watching the way he was throwing madly inbetween series a few weeks ago makes a better case for the bone bruise and the need to warm the arm up and push through the pain and then keep it loose. Tendonitis would result in just the opposite, resting it and limiting throws to the ones you have to make.

11. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +165 / 3 / -1

Darn, Mo. You have this annoying habit of bringing facts into these discussions. Based on what I've been told by people with tennis elbow (not all of whom even played tennis), it involves a tendon that runs the length of the arm, takes a long time to heal and leads to bad pain whenever the arm is extended. So, I guess that's a long way of saying that I hope your observation/diagnosis, while unpleasant enough for TB, is correct.

12. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Day to day. ;)

13. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Brady has been wearing a tennis elbow band on his throwing arm.

14. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +711 / 6 / -2

#95 Jersey

sucks...hope he gets through this...expect some slow starts for the next few weeks if this is the case until his arm warms up

15. jays52

jays52 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +195 / 0 / -0

#91 Jersey

I know Tennis Elbow is a legit injury, but can we, for the sake of masculine preservation call it something else? Tennis Elbow just seems so...weak. Can we just call it something like Odin's Blueballs or Neptune's Priapism? I just can't fathom attributing something that calls to mind 140 pound Euros grunting like powerbottoms to a tough season for one of the greatest football players to ever live.

16. strngplyr

strngplyr In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +268 / 3 / -0

Brady - Shou... Elbow?:eek: - Probable

17. PatsFanNM

PatsFanNM On the Roster

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't think there's a conflict between bone-bruise-leading-to-tendinitis and tennis elbow -- tennis elbow is tendinitis. I had it a long time ago pretty badly, and it took many months to go away. But I didn't use any over the counter anti-inflammatories, nor did I use cortisone injections, both of which can help.

Certain things hurt a lot, other things not so much, and I'm sure it varies from person to person. My guess is that it keeps Brady from fully extending his arm, particularly when the games start out, and that limits his velocity and accuracy. Which is pretty much what Tom Martinez said might be happening.

I think the effects are greater than simply limited accuracy and velocity, though. Because Brady knows he's not as accurate, he wants his receivers to have greater separation from their defenders, so there's a bit more leeway on the throw. He's not confident he can fire it into a tight space. When his favorite receivers are double covered, and he has to wait longer for someone to get that additional amount of open he's looking for, sacks are the result, particularly when the defense is blitzing, as happened Monday.

But, if the defense adopts double coverage on Welker and/or Gronkowski, and blitzes, there will be openings, as also happened Monday. Eventually Brady has found the open guy.

Fortunately for the team, I think this is a condition whose pain eases up as the game goes along, resulting in greater accuracy later. But then Brady pays for it the next day. In the long run, the only way to rid yourself of this problem is to stop using the arm in a way that creates more inflammation. I guess we all hope that relief arrives in February rather than in January.

18. TheSolderKing

TheSolderKing In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Tennis Elbow is AWFUL news. Tendon injuries SUCK.

I nearly severed (I think) my Left wrist tendon last winter... I took 5 months off from lifting...

I hurt my Wrist from overuse... I was throwing the football far too much during a 7 day period and I was lifting heavy weights.

This is really really bad news.:(:(:(

19. RelocatedPatFan

RelocatedPatFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +70 / 2 / -2

Well it's too late to enter the Suck for Luck contest and the colts have it locked up anyhow, even though we play them in 2 weeks (but we have Hoyer/Mallet so we're good) :D

just kidding there.
    Could help explain the early issues with the offense? And the team turning it on mid 2nd quarter and later. I'm sure Brady will get the best care possible and even in his current state, he's our best option.

20. robbomango

robbomango In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

This sucks but i'm sure it'll get better as the season progresses.

at least he wasn't born with tennis elbow as in the case of Mark Sanchez.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.