PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report - Brady and McCourty already back to work..

Status
Not open for further replies.
A middle of the pack secondary may not be good enough to win the AFC or the SB.
I wouldn't be too upset with a middle of the pack secondary if our pass rush is great, our LBs are elite, and our offense dominant.

If the team drafts defensive line help and a CB early, and both players grow to produce as rookies, the defense could be pretty good. Plus, with the addition of Chandler, potential development of Dobson/Wright/Tyms/Gibson, another potential addition at WR, and also if say Tyler Gaffney comes out strong and pairs with Blount as a 1-2 punch with Cadet as a 3DRB, could be a great time without much of a step lost. Secondary worse but D line better, tight ends better, RBs better, receivers better.

Or, none of this could happen and it could be a lowly 11-5 rebuilding year. Either way I'll enjoy the ride.

I'll try to use short words.

The patriots did not sign Gostkowski to a contract for longer than one year because the team and Gostkowski could not agree on contract terms for such an contract.
========
I'm understand that you cannot come up with a reason that Gostkowski wouldn't sign. No one here can help. None of us know what long-term offer Gostkowski rejected.
I've also seen guys like Reiss put it in these terms: the team knows it's going to have to pay Gostkowski at least $4m per year anyway, so they tagged him at a small cap hit of $500k to table negotiations while they focused on the rest of free agency, and could swing back around to him later and extend him. If they do, the half million is reduced. If not for whatever reason, oh well, they spent $500k more than the next highest kicker to keep the best kicker in the game another year. It's not like there's a viable backup plan at the moment if they moved on in March.

I wouldn't be too upset with a middle of the pack secondary if our pass rush is great, our LBs are elite, and our offense dominant.

If the team drafts defensive line help and a CB early, and both players grow to produce as rookies, the defense could be pretty good. Plus, with the addition of Chandler, potential development of Dobson/Wright/Tyms/Gibson, another potential addition at WR, and also if say Tyler Gaffney comes out strong and pairs with Blount as a 1-2 punch with Cadet as a 3DRB, could be a great time without much of a step lost. Secondary worse but D line better, tight ends better, RBs better, receivers better.

Or, none of this could happen and it could be a lowly 11-5 rebuilding year. Either way I'll enjoy the ride.

Yes, the defense could pretty good if two top draftees produce at CB and DL. We also need someone to play LG.

And yes, we should enjoy the ride, even at 11-5. :)

What chances are there that our pass rush is great? How many players short of great are we?

If all three linebackers are at 100%, I would indeed call them elite?

Our offense is likely to be top 5 as is usually the case (with the addition of a couple of guards and another RB). I'm not sure what "dominant" translates to.

What chances are there that our pass rush is great? How many players short of great are we?

If all three linebackers are at 100%, I would indeed call them elite?

Our offense is likely to be top 5 as is usually the case (with the addition of a couple of guards and another RB). I'm not sure what "dominant" translates to.
In this case I'm saying "dominant" is like top-3, offensively.

In regards to pass rush, I don't know if they're necessarily too far off. You've got Jones, Nink and Sheard. If Easley develops, he can provide interior pressure. Depending on the formations the team plays, both Collins and Hightower have shown they are very good at getting to the QB as well. Then if one of Moore or Buchanan takes another step, you have the potential for a great or almost-great pass rush without adding anyone else to the roster.

Yes, the defense could pretty good if two top draftees produce at CB and DL. We also need someone to play LG.

And yes, we should enjoy the ride, even at 11-5. :)

Much as I love the draft I don't think we should expect to much from it for 2015, I think much of their success will have to come from the younger players stepping up big time. Some are going to wash out this season and some are going to take the next step and turn into good players it just remains to be seen who will do what. If Easeley steps up then you have the DL addition you need and if 2 or 3 of the young defensive backs come through then they will have a decent to good secondary. I am hoping Butler and Dennard turn into quality corners because they have the aggression you want at the position. That said I would love to see them draft a corner who could turn in a rookie season like the one McCourty had.

Much as I love the draft I don't think we should expect to much from it for 2015, I think much of their success will have to come from the younger players stepping up big time

While I agree, I don't think that it too much to expect the following in our FIVE picks in the top 101 picks of the draft (or even in our late 4th rounder).

1) a LG who can start or compete with a veteran like Connolly for the starting position,

2) a corner who can contribute as at least a backup outside corner (we are set inside with Arrington and McClain),

3) a run-stuffer to share time with Branch and Siliga (competing with Chris Jones for reps), and

4) Personally, I would add a running back who will share time with Blount and/or replace him next year or in 2017.

Last edited:
Someone like butler could also take a 2nd year leap. According to mike reiss theres some in the pats organization who believe there is potential there for him to be a lockdown corner.

If Belicheck has taught us anything its that we will continue to find ways to win and will find contributers from unknown or unlikely places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back