PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Replacing Colvin

Status
Not open for further replies.
in 11 games he had 28 tackles, 17 solo, thats an average of about 3 tackles a game, 4 sacks, less than 1 a game, i like Colvin but the number dont lie, nothing to bad to replace, injuries are part of football, we'll survive we always haved with injuries

IMO Thomas will replace Colvin. I'm curious to see how explosive Thomas will look on the outside, a more natural position for him. This might even add a little spice to the Pats pass rush.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind playing some 4-3...Put Jarvis Green at end and either Seymour or Warren at DT w/ Vince...Plus, you get to limit the reps of Seau/Bruschi which won't get to happen as much if AD plays more snaps outside.

Adalius Thomas will do just fine in Colvin's spot. I think he will give us more

of a pass rush and will control the run better. The trouble is at middle

linebacker. Can Seau and Bruschi play on an every down basis? As some

forum members suggest, maybe more 4-3.

2002:
Vrabel-Bruschi-Phifer-WMG

this year:
Vrabel-Bruschi-Seau-Thomas

We're doomed.

Whether this is tongue in cheek or not I echo this thought. It's gone from the Pats.....................................................then finally the Colts, Steelers and Jags; and now its the Pats, Colts Steelers and Jags all in one big ball.

Cruising along hoping for 19-0 with blowouts was fun. But now it's going to be pure dog fights like the Eagles game the rest of the way. Not good.

I agree with the masses that AD is fine in Colvin's spot if that's the path we choose. But ILB is a big uncertainty. I also wouldn't mind seeing Woods at OLB some especially once we're up big in some games.

Whether this is tongue in cheek or not I echo this thought. It's gone from the Pats.....................................................then finally the Colts, Steelers and Jags; and now its the Pats, Colts Steelers and Jags all in one big ball.

Cruising along hoping for 19-0 with blowouts was fun. But now it's going to be pure dog fights like the Eagles game the rest of the way. Not good.

My god you must be a real down in real life.:D

Just curious-how does BB make the proper adjustments when key players go down?

When Parcells was in Dallas, we were probably the healthiest team in the league throughout his tenure here. However, when ONLY ONE guy would go down, he somehow couldn't make any adjustments whatsoever, and we would go down the toilet.

Just curious-how does BB make the proper adjustments when key players go down?

When Parcells was in Dallas, we were probably the healthiest team in the league throughout his tenure here. However, when ONLY ONE guy would go down, he somehow couldn't make any adjustments whatsoever, and we would go down the toilet.

Maybe the best in the league look at the 2003 or 20004 clubs that were ravished with injuries but ended pretty well.

Although I am dissapointed that Rosie is out for the year I am anxious to see what the coaches have in mind going forward. The rest of the players will pick up their games and the coaches will get more creative the rest of the season. It seems that whenever a serious injury occurs we come together on D and to this point we have not been very special on D anyway.

expect rodney to play more like an ILB and hopefully geno returns and he and sanders can man the secondary

I think that Pierre Woods and Chad Brown are going to see a LOT of reps this week at OLB.

The other thing we'll probably see is the Pats use their Nickel defense against the Ravens, opting to put in Sanders, Harrison and either Gay or Meriweather as the 3rd Safety.

That way Harrison can be like a 4th LB.

I really hope to see more Merriweather. I think he could add some hitting power to that secondary.

I think I'd rather see AD on the outside than Woods or Brown.
Junior and Tedy on the inside full time.
Age be dammned.

And Dabruinz, I'm glad you spoke up for Roosevelt. He's a very good under appreciated player. Good post on that. Thanks.

So long as the current LB corps is healthy, here's how it looks to me
:
Vrabel and Thomas on the outside - very potent -
spelled by Woods. (Brown inactive.)

Tedy and Junior continuing to job-share, mostly at one spot, inside
... either paired with Thomas (while Woods goes to OLB)
... or 4-3 (with AD back outside.)

Alexander inside is also not that bad ... provided he is not the mainstay.

Did Jarvis Green play last game? Is he healthy, or at least a probable for the playoffs

What about bringing in Edgerton Hartwell for a tryout?

in 11 games he had 28 tackles, 17 solo, thats an average of about 3 tackles a game, 4 sacks, less than 1 a game, i like Colvin but the number dont lie, nothing to bad to replace, injuries are part of football, we'll survive we always haved with injuries

There's usually 10 other guys on the field who all play a part in tackles and sacks whether they get the statistic or not.

The Patriots are a system team - and everyone plays a role. Colvin played his role well and often that meant someone else was in position to make the play.

Quite right! Would we better off with five receivers and two more ILB's? If course! The problem is that we can't seem to find ILB's to fit our schemes. This has been an issue for years.
Or BB/Pioli refusal to draft one in the first four rounds!

I say we convert to a 3-2-6. We need more guys in coverage.

Last edited:
One of Pierre Woods/Eric Alexander will have to step up, that's for sure.

Losing Rosy hurts.He gives a good outside rush. However I think that moving Thomas outside and Junior to the middle will work.

There's usually 10 other guys on the field who all play a part in tackles and sacks whether they get the statistic or not.

The Patriots are a system team - and everyone plays a role. Colvin played his role well and often that meant someone else was in position to make the play.

I agree but wonder if whoever takes up Rosie's position can play as well as him. Or, if AT takes that role, doesn't the chain get weakend in the middle?

I was hoping we would cruise all the way with just minor injuries and hate to see one of our star defensive guys go out. Feeling quite down to be honest...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back